Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&W processing plug-ins etc.

It is scary but three separate things came together in the last couple of days. I saw a Youtube video about NIK Silver Efex, I realized I was using B&W in post processing a lot, and Affinity Photo 1.8 was released and is "fully comparable" with the NIK Collection. I have been using Affinity's tools and producing acceptable results (to me) but I have enough curiosity to look at other tools. The price tag for the whole NIK collection is a bit steep if I really want just the B&W component. Topaz may or may not be an alternative. Not having used plug ins the idea of entering a new world is a bit intimidating. I did not grow up with the technology. Yes, both offer free trials but before I do that. . .

Can anyone comment on the advantages of these enhanced tools? .

Are the tools worthwhile for a serious amateur or more targeted for professional/commercial products?

Are there alternatives, add-ons/plug-ins, or separate programs that should be considered for black and white?

02-29-2020, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

I use Affinity Photo and the NIK plugins. I think the plugins open up a world of creative options, but there's a learning curve. Yes, they are not inexpensive, so I would suggest watching some NIK tutorials on YouTube (there are many) to see if they are something you're really interested in.
02-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both Topaz (apparently no longer being developed though) and the old, made free by Google, version of Nik Silver Efex. Both are good, albeit quite different, but don't underestimate what can be done without separate plugins. Raw Therapee has quite good B&W capabilities, including film emulation. Lightroom and Photoshop both provide useful tools as well. I'm not familiar with Affinity Photo but you should see what it can do before you invest in plugins. There are many good tutorials on the Web that show what can be done without plugins. A lot can be done to the RGB image in advance to prepare it for conversion; I think there is still a video tutorial at the Topaz website where Joel Wolfson talks about preparing an image for conversion. For fast, convenient conversion it is hard to beat Topaz but Nik is better for making local adjustments. When the local editing tools (currently under development) for RawTherapee are included in the released version, RawTherapee will be a very powerful B&W tool. Maybe folks who are familiar with DarkTable and G'Mic/Gimp can comment as well.
03-01-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nik silver efex is a great little program -- I had actually bought the suite years ago before it became free. I think the free version is still available on the internet -- I would highly recommend downloading and trying it -- other than compatibility with newer programs and a few new emulations the new silve efex isn't much different than the free one.

I started researching the suite of black and white programs offered at Frontpage | BWVISION - Art and Craftsmanship in B&W photography but work took over and I never got back to it. They have some really neat tutorials if you are interested in really getting into black and white -- definitely worth checking out at least.

03-01-2020, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Hi gump

My advice is to go with Silver Efex Pro.

Also there is no need to buy it as the “old” free version can still be had, and it’s supposed to still be compatible with Affinity Photo.

If you find a problem of compatibility, any of the plug-ins of Nik Collection can be used a standalone programs.

One of the places to obtain it is the Internet Archive: NIK Collection of Filters (Mac/Windows) 1.2.11 : Google/NIK : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive.

Best regards,

Last edited by ddharriman; 03-01-2020 at 02:53 PM.
03-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can confirm that the free Google version of Silver Efex does work with Affinity 1.7 and 1.8.
Analog, Dfine, and Color Efex also work with 1.7 at least, but haven’t yet tried them on 1.8 yet.

Here's the link to where I got them:
https://archive.org/details/nikcollection-full-1.2.11

Also, for what it's worth, I took advantage of DxO's 30-day trial on their Nik collection version, and to be honest, I really didn't see a difference between theirs and the one I got for free.

Last edited by Sir Nameless; 03-01-2020 at 03:30 PM.