Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Printer Problems

My Canon Pro 100 has suddenly started printing with very inaccurate colors, an overall light purple cast, especially in the sky, and some intense darker purple spots where there are distant pine trees in the image. I've run Canon's print head cleaning procedure without much improvement. and replaced most of the cartridges. Any thoughts on the cause? Thanks.

03-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
My Canon Pro 100 has suddenly started printing with very inaccurate colors, an overall light purple cast, especially in the sky, and some intense darker purple spots where there are distant pine trees in the image. I've run Canon's print head cleaning procedure without much improvement. and replaced most of the cartridges. Any thoughts on the cause? Thanks.
Do a test on your yellow colour. Print something yellow. If you have no yellow, then replace the yellow cartridge. If that's OK, then do a complete cartridge removal process and re-insert the cartridges. If it's still not printing right, then try it with a different computer or re-install your printer drivers. I'm betting though, that if you'e seeing pink or purple that you're having issues with the yellow cartridge.
03-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Canon Pro 100 has suddenly started printing with very inaccurate colors, an overall light purple cast, especially in the sky, and some intense darker purple spots where there are distant pine trees in the image. I've run Canon's print head cleaning procedure without much improvement. and replaced most of the cartridges. Any thoughts on the cause?
IF you've run the printer's ink test and are getting the normal amount of black, cyan, magenta, and yellow, you can eliminate the ink heads or the printer as the cause.

If it appears the printer is at fault, are you using Canon inks and are you certain they are not counterfeit?

When I've had something similar to what you've described on my Epson, it's usually because somehow ColorSync got selected in the printer dialog window for "Color Matching' instead of "Printer Manages Color".
03-11-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I replaced the yellow cartridge with a new one and that did improve the image, the purple spots on the pine trees vanishing and a normal green color resulting there. The overall purple cast also largely vanished but now the image over the blue and white mountains and sky is faded but the greens are normal. I tried removing all of the cartridges and reinserting them with no improvement. I tried to re-install the drivers but couldn't find them yet - will look further today. I didn't really think it's part of this problem but since a monitor calibration was due anyway I did that using the Datacolor Spyder X with no improvement resulting.

I have to say that this much praised printer hasn't worked very well for me right from the beginning (I've had it about 9 months), even at the beginning the print quality for landscapes being sub-par, the quality from my quite old Pixma 922 all in one printer being better. This must surely be from my ineptitude and deficient knowledge concerning most things digital, being an old guy stuck in the film era and when a calculator was the most high tech device available!

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep working on it to best of my poor abilities.

Last edited by wanderer2; 03-11-2020 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added info
03-11-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a guess, but is it possible you have the two magenta cartridges in the wrong locations. i.e., the photo magenta in the magenta slot and the magenta in the photo magenta slot?
03-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I replaced the yellow cartridge with a new one and that did improve the image,
I have to say that this much praised printer hasn't worked very well for me right from the beginning (I've had it about 9 months), even at the beginning the print quality for landscapes being sub-par, the quality from my quite old Pixma 922 all in one printer being better.
Inkjet printers are really designed to be used frequently. Any dormancy leads to clogged ink heads or a lot of wasted ink to clear and clean things.

I've used Epson printers as they are less problematic, but the ink is not cheap and they too need to be used fairly frequently to avoid problems like what you've described.
The only alternative I can suggest is using a digital online printer like Costco.com or Shutterfly.
03-12-2020, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the replies. I did check that all of the cartridges were in the correct position and they are. Other than that I haven't had time to work on this problem any further. The suggestion to use an online printer service has also occurred to me and sounds more and more like a possibility. I have used Costco.com in the past and was satisfied with the service and results. It's just that it's so nice to come home after shooting landscapes, do some processing of a few chosen images, and then be able to look at prints immediately. So I'll keep working on the problem, at least for awhile.