Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 04:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Geotaggers' companion software for PC and smartphone

Hi,

I am a big fan of geotagging my photos, so I can later find out exactly where I took them. Especially for hiking and travelling this is a big bonus. This is why I love inbuilt GPS systems.
And sometimes I want to visit a nice place again, so I do wonder, where did I take this shot?

While there are some features in Darktable, LR, Geosetter, to do the tagging and also display where images were taken, these softwares all are pretty clunky and slow if all you want to know is where a couple of hundred JPGs were taken on a map.

For myself I have found two pretty nice solutions:

1)

For a Windows PC to gain a nice quick overview of where I was taking photos:
GeoPhoto
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/geophoto-geotag-map-slideshow/9wzdncrfj0f2...ot:overviewtab
Super fast software and very nice and clean presentation.
Even the limited free version should do the trick for most.
No big import, no "loading times" to speak of.

2)

For an android smartphone onto which you can load older photos (with geo tags) and then look up where they were taken if you want to visit the place a second time.
PhotoMap
PhotoMap Gallery - Photos, Videos and Trips - Apps on Google Play

It even connects to the Google Maps app in order to navigate you directly to the place the image was taken at.

03-10-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Forum Member

Sadly GeoPhoto is jpeg only which makes it of little use (to me) as a LR map replacement. I don't fancy creating over 70,000 jpegs from raw just to be able to use it.
03-10-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I will stick with GeoSetter...
03-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Just get a old K-3II or a K-1x. Problem solved.

03-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Just get a old K-3II or a K-1x. Problem solved.
Except that he is looking for a convenient way to display photos on a map which already have the exif data. The Pentax GPS tagging inserts the location in the exif but he still wants to view many photos at a time on a map. An external program is needed for that. He is not satisfied with the editing programs like Lightroom and wants something faster.
03-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Well, both Google and Adobe broke the map program in my copy of LR 6.14 so that is out of the question. If he is looking for a "real time" function, then just use a phone. I can take my K-3II files and run them through GeoSetter and have it provide map based locations. However, Google broke the GeoSetter maps too. There are alternatives in GeoSetter, but you still have to tell Google - yeah I know you monetized map location in multiple apps - now get out of my way. I do wish that applications like GeoSetter et. al would give the users a method of picking their map source. As far as I know Microsoft does not force Bing Maps users to pay for their use.

GeoSetter will display embedded GPS data in multiple RAW formats. You can also add geotag information with it. You can use ExifTools and ExifToolGUI ------ if you have kept up with the patches listed on the forum. However, ExifToolGUI has not been supported for years and since it is using Google maps exclusively, you really have to be patient and have workarounds to Google's money grab.
03-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Except that he is looking for a convenient way to display photos on a map which already have the exif data. The Pentax GPS tagging inserts the location in the exif but he still wants to view many photos at a time on a map. An external program is needed for that. He is not satisfied with the editing programs like Lightroom and wants something faster.
Yes. The requirements are speed, ease of use on JPGs and displaying thumbnails where the image was shot.

If he is looking for a "real time" function, then just use a phone.
My PC can not use a phone.

I can take my K-3II files and run them through GeoSetter and have it provide map based locations.
Geosetter is too slow. Better than LR, but still not tolerable.
03-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darktable has a user-submitted lua script that does exactly what you wish: trolls through an image collection and creates a kmz file which you can load in googleearth. Each image is plotted with its image name and clickable thumbnail which brings up the image. Perfect for those who like to fill in their makernotes with image info. Scripts page is here:

GitHub - darktable-org/lua-scripts

Unfortunately, kml_export is linux only. Lots of other multi-platform scripts, though.

03-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
-snip-
Geosetter is too slow. Better than LR, but still not tolerable.
Provide some information as to what constitutes "slow".