Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2020, 02:16 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A different way to get a print.

Tess recently baby sat her son's three dogs for 14 days while he can 3 friends took trip to Florida, Disney Land and everything.

When he got home asked her to send one of the favourite pictures.

She chose this one.

So, long story short, Rick took it to a friend who turned pictures into wood carvings She didn't think it would make a good wood carving so she sent it to a place that turned it into a paint by numbers canvas. She's not so talented an artist as to be able to just copy it, but she did great job with the paint by numbers thing.

So here it is as a PBN painting.

And here it is hung on my wall with 3 other canvases.

We are impressed.
I shudder to think what it would cost to pay her to do it. She's a friend of Rick's from work and it took her a few months to complete part time. But it is another thought in the back of my mind for thinking about how to get the most out of an image.

03-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love both versions! The photo is so iconic for us photographers. The PBN version is a great artistic representation of the original, though the photographer's head looks ever-so-slightly elongated, but not un-naturally so. I'd be proud to have either one hanging on my wall.
03-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I love both versions! The photo is so iconic for us photographers. The PBN version is a great artistic representation of the original, though the photographer's head looks ever-so-slightly elongated, but not un-naturally so. I'd be proud to have either one hanging on my wall.
I wasn't there to model for her so we'll forgive her.
03-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
a place that turned it into a paint by numbers canvas
hey, Norm, could you share with us where/who this is?

03-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That PBN result is remarkable. Really very nice indeed.

The original photo is lovely, too.

Nice work, Tess
03-23-2020, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I'll get Tess to ask Ricky.

---------- Post added 03-23-20 at 06:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That PBN result is remarkable. Really very nice indeed.

The original photo is lovely, too.

Nice work, Tess
Tess says thanks, I think it's pretty much her favourite of the whole 19 day trip. I'm sure if she was here she'd tell you she had to use reverse psychology on me to get me out there. I was really intent on hanging around camp.

Last edited by normhead; 03-23-2020 at 03:50 PM.
03-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Which one will last longer?
Very nice on both.

03-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think hard copy always has the advantage over digital.... now if we were to print with a printer, it would be hard to say. The inks are supposed to alt 200 years (stored in dark cool dry place, not on wall), I suspect the oils could last longer, it's all academic to me. I'm giving myself 30 max.

Last edited by normhead; 03-23-2020 at 06:27 PM.
03-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Th problem here is I have to talk to Tess, she has to talk to Ricky, Ricky how is way up in IT for the Ontario government probably goes in to the office once week and is currently been told to work from home all week so he doesn't see this person very often. But the last exchange produced the following information....

"You can look up many places that will create the PBN canvas from an image, just google them."
She failed to provide a recommendation.

Last edited by normhead; 03-25-2020 at 06:54 AM.
03-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"You can look up many places that will create the PBN canvas from an image, just google them."
Well, I can certainly do that--until now I was totally unaware that PBN from photo was a 'thing'. Years ago, I used to hand-color B&W prints and it was kinda fun. And these days, I seem to have a lot of time on my hands . . .
03-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I can certainly do that--until now I was totally unaware that PBN from photo was a 'thing'. Years ago, I used to hand-color B&W prints and it was kinda fun. And these days, I seem to have a lot of time on my hands . . .
Well good luck then, I hope you come back with something to show us someday.