Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Exiftools and Other MetaData Related

Hi All,

Latest Update Ver 11.92

I have noticed a lot of discussion on the ExifTool by Phil Harvey on this forum under this heading and thought it may be a good place to add some items to it as we keep coming up with new lenses and other items it may be wise for the users of "ExifTools" to update once in awhile as the info within Mr.Harvey's program also keeps updating with "new lenses,cameras and the like.

Also I found a handy tool for writing "Lens Info" into your "metadata" file,NameThatLens - Jazzycamel Photography

Not to forget an installer tool for Phil Harvey's ExifTool written by Oliver Betz and credited by Phil on his web site

Also the "Graphical User Interface" for Windows

So make a long story short the most up to date ExifTool recognizes my latest Irix 150mm Macro lens and all the info from my Pentax K-70, the 4 links I have embedded above are listed here:

ExifTools Phil Harvey
ExifTool by Phil Harvey

NameThatLens JazzyCamel
NameThatLens - Jazzycamel Photography

Windows Gui Installer for ExifTool recommended by Phil
Oliver Betz | Artikel / ExifTool Windows installer and portable package

You will need to follow the link on this web site to get the GUI Version you want
ExifToolGUI

Screen clip from the Jazzy Camel web site is attached for clarity only!

Cheers, hope this helps!

Update adding Link to ExifTools Forum! https://exiftool.org/forum/

Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 03-28-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Adding Link
03-28-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There's also a plugin for Lightroom, Lenstagger. It, too, makes use of Exiftool - it has it embedded in the later versions.

Thanks for reminding me to update to the latest version
03-28-2020, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also useful, for those wanting to dig a little deeper, is the tag reference for ExifTool's interpretation of the Pentax makernotes. It should be remembered that the tag names as well as the values and text interpretation represent the developer's best guesses and that they may change over time. Note too that the lens id mapping, while up-to-date with the latest version of ExifTool, is not exhaustive and will often fail to properly ID older third-party lenses.

ExifTool | Pentax Tags

Steve
03-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Also useful, for those wanting to dig a little deeper,
Updated my post, I did not include the link to the ExifTools Forum which can be helpful, link is in my original post.

Thanks for your input Steve.

03-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

I have been using ExifToolGui for years to do this. I also use my own list for my manual lenses rather than get left with the terms "A series Lens", "K or M Lens" or for my Tokina 28-70mm as a "smc PENTAX-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5".

This is a continuous issue for Pentax users.
03-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is a continuous issue for Pentax users.[/quote]
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I have been using ExifToolGui for years to do this.
Since ExifTool is an ongoing project have you checked the latest version for your "Lens Types"? they may be here Pentax Tags
03-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are similar issues with other brands. Sony's situation is probably worse than Pentax's...

Sony Tags | LensType

Steve

03-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There are similar issues with other brands. Sony's situation is probably worse than Pentax's...

Sony Tags | LensType

Steve
Steve, rather than post each individual Lens possibility here as a link to the "Table of Lenses" (23357 tags) ExifTool Tag Names

Cheers, easier still to subscribe to ExifTool updates!
03-29-2020, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Steve, rather than post each individual Lens possibility here as a link to the "Table of Lenses" (23357 tags) ExifTool Tag Names
I don't know that I did that or that my intent was other than to provide at a glance* the ambiguities faced by Sony users. I have been aware of the ExifTool Tag Name page since I first started using ExifTool about a decade ago and will remember to use it the next time I want to refer somebody to the full list of supported tag names.

I did not know that that I could subscribe to ExifTool updates. I usually don't have a need since my most recent new camera/lens purchase was about six years ago and all of my AF lenses have entries. Still, though, I should probably update more frequently than I do.

Steve

* Duplicate ids are set off by use of a decimal point extension

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2020 at 06:40 PM.
03-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote

Since ExifTool is an ongoing project have you checked the latest version for your "Lens Types"? they may be here Pentax Tags
The lenses I have that are "A" or "M" are not Pentax lenses. The Tokina gets a Pentax lens associated with it that is incorrect, the lens is not a Pentax.

Was I not clear in my post?
03-30-2020, 03:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have been using ExifToolGui for years to do this. I also use my own list for my manual lenses rather than get left with the terms "A series Lens", "K or M Lens" or for my Tokina 28-70mm as a "smc PENTAX-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5".

The lenses I have that are "A" or "M" are not Pentax lenses. The Tokina gets a Pentax lens associated with it that is incorrect, the lens is not a Pentax.

Was I not clear in my post?
Sorry if I misunderstood your post, my intent was to make it clear that ExifTools updates information on an "ongoing" basis and if your lenses were miss-tagged in the past does not mean they are now and to bring forward the information available from "Namethatlens". No harm, no foul!

As an after thought I decided this link may be helpful to all, if you have a lens that is NOT being reported right there is a link on
Phil Harvey's Forum site to report LENS INFO

New link which I use to track ExifTools for downloadable updates!

https://sourceforge.net/
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 04-02-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Adding in link
10-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pulling EXIF info on the Web

Also useful, for those wanting to dig a little deeper, is the tag reference for ExifTool's interpretation of the Pentax makernotes. It should be remembered that the tag names as well as the values and text interpretation represent the developer's best guesses and that they may change over time. Note too that the lens id mapping, while up-to-date with the latest version of ExifTool, is not exhaustive and will often fail to properly ID older third-party lenses.

ExifTool | Pentax Tags

Steve
Hi all found a neat add on "Extension for Browsers" to read EXIF DATA from "jpg" files, thought it was good

enough to share here. Quoted Steve just to make him aware!

Here is the Link: Exif Viewer - Essential Aspects of Images and Photos

I have attached 2 screen shots from my PC!
Attached Images