Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re. the mentions of AMD's Ryzen chips. I got a homebrew Ryzen 5 1600 (6 core--i.e., 12 virtual cores) system built a year and a bit ago. The Ryzens are great chips for chunking through large amounts of processing. Of course the software has to support multiple cores. I use parallel R packages for Monte Carlo studies a lot and it just flies through millions of iterations when you get all the processors going. For photography I use SilkyPix 10 which I don't think is very parallelized. In any case it crunches through K-70 image files just fine and very quickly.

Other pros include much lower power consumption and lower heat.

04-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #17
Banned

I do a lot of photos post-processing each and every single day. I'm using a few different editing software... Especially Photoshop and Lightroom. I also build my own photo editing pc not only to save money but to maximize my performance and in the end, save time.

This is my budget under 500$
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz
Memory (RAM 12.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
SSD 120
04-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #18
Bui
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you, I came close to buying the FX-4170 to replace my X4 955 for 70 euros, but I hesitated, since the boost in performance would be marginal at best, so after a lot of consideration and research, I've decided to upgrade to Ryzen 5 3600 system. Quite a hit in the budget, since it's almost a whole system upgrade (CPU + Mainboard + RAM + SSD in this thread Help me optimize Lightroom performance with limited specs - PentaxForums.com) but I tried to stretch it so the new build can last for at least a few years without me worrying about another upgrade. Still waiting for the components to arrive.
04-28-2020, 02:51 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote

GA-970A-DS3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

CPU support comes from Gigabyte, not AMD.
That's exactly where I got the information from. I only linked the AMD site for the specifications on the CPU in question. I have a Gigabyte mainboard (Intel) myself so I'm familiar with their support pages.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Thank you, I came close to buying the FX-4170 to replace my X4 955 for 70 euros, but I hesitated, since the boost in performance would be marginal at best, so after a lot of consideration and research, I've decided to upgrade to Ryzen 5 3600 system. Quite a hit in the budget, since it's almost a whole system upgrade (CPU + Mainboard + RAM + SSD in this thread Help me optimize Lightroom performance with limited specs - PentaxForums.com) but I tried to stretch it so the new build can last for at least a few years without me worrying about another upgrade. Still waiting for the components to arrive.
I'm sure you made a good decision. I just built a new system and tried to future proof myself for a few years. It's also frustrating because the component prices, deals and availability fluctuate so rapidly.

I don't know how much of a performance boost you're looking at but in my case if it were an automobile upgrade I'd get whiplash from the speed boost.

04-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
You won't be disappointed. I'm still quite satisfied with my AMD FX-8350 build & that's considered "ancient". Hahaha! But yeah. It still works quite fast & well. Obviously not as fast as the current AMD chips, but fast enough for me.

I'm also looking into an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 build. I could eventually get a "better" CPU, but I think the 3600 will run for at least 5 years. Maybe even 10 years.