Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2020, 04:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone actually print photos any more?

I was somewhat surprised reciently.

Let me go back to the beginning. In cleaning out my home office, (as there is not a lot to do with the corona virus out there) I decided to get my HP B8850 printer going again, but I decided that I would convert it to a CISS ink system, because for $70 I could purchase 3x the ink, that I could in place of the $50 per colour ( the hp uses 8 colours, I let you do the math).

What surprises me is that when I went onto the forums to see if anyone had converted a printer to a CISS system, There were only about 5 threads, all 9-10 years old.

It begs the question, does anyone print any more?

By the way, except for needing to replace one colour print head which had plugged, it all works great. (E-bay has been a blessing)

04-19-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I was somewhat surprised reciently.

Let me go back to the beginning. In cleaning out my home office, (as there is not a lot to do with the corona virus out there) I decided to get my HP B8850 printer going again, but I decided that I would convert it to a CISS ink system, because for $70 I could purchase 3x the ink, that I could in place of the $50 per colour ( the hp uses 8 colours, I let you do the math).

What surprises me is that when I went onto the forums to see if anyone had converted a printer to a CISS system, There were only about 5 threads, all 9-10 years old.

It begs the question, does anyone print any more?

By the way, except for needing to replace one colour print head which had plugged, it all works great. (E-bay has been a blessing)
We still print, (some photos) but I don't own a photo printer. We simply have the prints done in town. They can do any size up to A0 banner. Normally I don't print larger than A4, except sometimes on canvas, but that gets done in Auckland.
04-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a printer

bought to save money

not used

only printing I do is to have my local brick and mortar photography shop make large stretched canvas prints made to put at my wife's office and conference room
04-19-2020, 04:43 AM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Canon A3 printer and use it regularly. Yes one can only do so much with the resulting prints but to me a dpi (monitor image) is a job half done. If I were to be happy with that there would be no point to having more than say a 10mp camera.
I am aware that I am in the minority here in New Zealand because there is only a poor range of papers stocked in store and I tend to buy overseas because of that.
A K-1 image printed on for example Canson Photographique Rag is a mighty fine thing far beyond the quality of any screen.

04-19-2020, 04:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Years ago I got a photo printer and a ciss system, I was fun for awhile but trying to keep it clean and running smoothly was a pain if you don't use it often. Then I did a cost analysis and discovered it was less expensive after buying paper, ink etc. to have them done by my local photo lab. However the cost of matting and framing them was less expensive doing that myself.
04-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Years ago I got a photo printer and a ciss system, I was fun for awhile but trying to keep it clean and running smoothly was a pain if you don't use it often. Then I did a cost analysis and discovered it was less expensive after buying paper, ink etc. to have them done by my local photo lab. However the cost of matting and framing them was less expensive doing that myself.
That^. I left my Canon pro for 6 months once and $230 worth of ink dried up and it cost me another $$230 to get it clean and running well again. $460 just to get it up and running properly. Now I wait for sales and let the big boys do the printing.

At this point we do 3 or 4 prints a year. 2 of these are this years's one from a few years ago (the moose) one is a photo converted to a paint by numbers kit and painted by a friend of a friend. The image on the right is an original painting done by a cousin.

04-19-2020, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I print up to A3 at home. Several are hanging on my walls, and they make great gifts for friends and family.

I'm now seriously considering an A2 pigment printer.

04-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #8

I gave up printing from home, not used enough, now print via an online lab, turnaround 7 days which is quick enough, sell a few via a couple of local eateries and the odd one from my web site, otherwise have prints made for display at home
04-19-2020, 05:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From 2010 to 2016, I printed 8 posters (from K5 and K3). From 2018 to 2020, I printed 24 posters (from K200D, K5, K3) including 30x40" from K1 files. Nor interested in small size prints. Now having 20+ more post-processing and prints planned for this year.

Prints show simultaneously detail and dimension, not possible with current monitor tech, although monitors are backlit which play a big part in image perception. Monitors are all 16:9 aspect ratio, not that impressive for displaying 1:1, 4:3, 3:2 or vertical images. A square image can be printed on 4x4 (feet) quality paper, high pixel density, and most importantly good front lighting (from the sides), can be a jaw dropping, you'll never get that feeling from a computer screen or 4K TV. I was amazed how much dynamic range (shadow details) gets revealed when lighting a baryta print, more than what my monitor can display. Next projects 40x60" , haven't tried any print from a those pixel shift files, thinking about more complex exposure and post processing workflow for 60" wide at 300 dpi resolution

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-19-2020 at 05:54 AM.
04-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't printed any myself for some years. What goes up on the wall is done commercially by post. These from the 2018 New Zealand trip:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
04-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I print photos on a somewhat regular basis. Sitting at my kitchen table I can see 7 of them, most from our November trip to Tanzania. I like the feeling of accomplishment I get when I see the print emerge from my printer. I usually mat and frame most of the larger images (up to 13"x19") and rotate them on the walls of our house depending upon season, mood, or just favorite images. I have also printed pictures of our grandchildren as gifts or to sit framed on various pieces of furniture.

Of course, we also use the printer for non-photo work (despite the cost), so this keeps it in working condition. I must say that although I do enjoy posting photos, I find printing them to be a more fulfilling exercise. Maybe I'm just old school, but I did at one time print B&W and color, both negative and direct from slides, so continuing to do so in the digital age just seems natural to me and I would miss it if I were to stop.
04-19-2020, 07:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I print photos on a somewhat regular basis. Sitting at my kitchen table I can see 7 of them, most from our November trip to Tanzania. I like the feeling of accomplishment I get when I see the print emerge from my printer. I usually mat and frame most of the larger images (up to 13"x19") and rotate them on the walls of our house depending upon season, mood, or just favorite images. I have also printed pictures of our grandchildren as gifts or to sit framed on various pieces of furniture.

Of course, we also use the printer for non-photo work (despite the cost), so this keeps it in working condition. I must say that although I do enjoy posting photos, I find printing them to be a more fulfilling exercise. Maybe I'm just old school, but I did at one time print B&W and color, both negative and direct from slides, so continuing to do so in the digital age just seems natural to me and I would miss it if I were to stop.
That reminds me of another issue I had with printing. So many of our prints were larger than 13x19, and the way Canon handled canvases with a mandatory 1.5 inch border was just totally useless. 30x20 canvas is a big favourite around here. Despite spending a considerable amount of money on printer, I still had to send more than half my prints out because I couldn't print the size I wanted.
04-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I print photos a couple times a year. I'm slowly learning how to pair the paper with the subject of the photo. I use an online service, I don't have the skills or print nearly enough to try owning a photo printer. They end up on my wall usually, I have a few frames and I replace the print, it's a fun way to redecorate or change the feel of the room. It's also great to test if you really like an image, seeing it daily.

I've also printed a draft of a short photo book recently, to see how the format looks like and what I could add besides the photos. The book is a personal project, nothing that a publisher would actually decide to release
04-19-2020, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I print photos a couple times a year. I'm slowly learning how to pair the paper with the subject of the photo. I use an online service, I don't have the skills or print nearly enough to try owning a photo printer. They end up on my wall usually, I have a few frames and I replace the print, it's a fun way to redecorate or change the feel of the room. It's also great to test if you really like an image, seeing it daily.

I've also printed a draft of a short photo book recently, to see how the format looks like and what I could add besides the photos. The book is a personal project, nothing that a publisher would actually decide to release
I have had such a book printed, very nice, I'm not sure it was worth the effort. In end, my grand children and my daughter all got a copy, as did my friend Enid. It was a book of pictures taken on canoe trips in Algonquin Park, and Enid had accompanied us on many of those thrips and was in some of the pictures.

But the cost was prohibitive in terms of trying to sell it retail. The woman who runs the park bookstore basically said, if I printed it, they'd sell it. I could never get to a price point that I thought would sell. And I would have shouldered all the risk if it didn't sell. In the end, I printed it 5 times one rough draft, and 4 copies of the finished product.

Last edited by normhead; 04-19-2020 at 07:49 AM.
04-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have had such a book printed, very nice, I'm not sure it was worth the effort. IN end, my grand children and my daughter all got a copy, as did my friend Enid. It was book of pictures taken on canoe trips in Algonquin Park, and Enid had accompanied us on many of those thrips and was in some of the pictures.

But the cost was prohibitive in terms of trying to sell it retail. The woman who runs the park bookstore basically said, if I printed it, they'd sell it. I could never get to a price point that I thought would sell. And I would have shouldered all the risk if it didn't sell. IN the end, I printed it 5 times one rough draft, and 4 copies of the finished product.
My daughter uses an online app for this, and has done 4 or 5 books for the family. 2-3 copies per book.

They come as coffee table sized soft cover but bound. I am more talking about prints for personal use, and display.
Closed Thread