other 84.06%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q for RAW shooters

Just a simple question:
when you shoot RAW do you develop pics and save them as .... ???

10-31-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I selected Jpeg but that's not totally accurate.
I use Lightroom for my work shots (weddings etc) and I'll edit in RAW in that program. When I save (Export) the finished files, they are saved as Jpegs. But if there's a particular artistic shot I want to do further work on, I'll export that image as a TIFF and do the final work in PS CS2 before saving it and I'll save both the TIFF and Jpeg final versions.

That holds true for personal work as well. If it needs more adjustment. I'll save it as a TIFF for CS2 editing.

If the shot is going to be enlarged more than 11x14 for print. I will send the printer the TIFF version 90% of the time.
10-31-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This thread might also be of some interest to those wondering about Jpegs, RAW etc.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/40647-s...-benifits.html
10-31-2008, 04:02 AM   #4

Same as Peter Zack, save as RAW in lightroom, export as Jpegs or TIFF if I'll do further processing in Photoshop.

10-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I do the same as Peter and Jeff, Shoot RAW, Process, Save and Archive JPEG. For events I will archive the original RAWs on a DVD and give one to the client (plus the processed JPEGs), and keep one in a firebox. Never know when you are going to want to start from scratch.
10-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's the beauty of Lightroom, The RAW is left untouched if you want to start over. It's non-destructive to the RAW file.
10-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shoot RAW (evrything), convert to JPEG for web posting and highstreet printing, TIFF or PNG16 for editing and quality printing. Multi layered images are saved in XCF. Keep the RAW file and the JPEG thumbnails, dispose of the fullsize JPEGs, TIFFs and PNGs except for the XCFs.

10-31-2008, 05:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
That's the beauty of Lightroom, The RAW is left untouched if you want to start over. It's non-destructive to the RAW file.
Totally agree. I shoot RAW, and export as JPEG from LR.
10-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I use LightZone myself and am quite fond of its non-destructive edit capabilities.

When you process a RAW image and save your work it puts its own flavor of EXIF meta data into the saved JPEG (or TIFF if you prefer) image that details everything you did to the original RAW image.

You can take the JPEG and use it as the final product without further exporting/conversion. However, you can re-edit that JPEG and add/update/remove any PP you did prior and when you save it again the original RAW is "re-processed" to either overwrite the 1st JPEG or to create a new "version".

Like LR you can re-work from scratch as many times as you want from the original RAW, but I think where LZ may be different is that you retain the "history" for what you did with each new iteration. And I can copy my work from one image and batch apply those same steps to multiple files in just a couple clicks of the mouse - so if for example I wanted to apply the same WB and EV adjustments to a whole series of shots I just perform the adjustments manually to the first file, then copy/paste; and I can still go into the other shots afterward and fine tune, crop, whatever. (LR may have this capability too, I just didn't run across it in my limited time using it - no linux version)
10-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

why convert to another format if you don't have to?

Some software (eg, the Pentax software) may force you to convert your images to another format in order to use them. But if I were forced to do that, I wouldn't bother shooting RAW - it would be too much trouble. One of the great things about shooting RAW is that with the right software that the workflow is actually *easier* than it is with JPEG, since you never have to save a second copy of the file. Your software remembers the processing you did but never alters the original file. So why bother creating a second copy of the file in another format?

The only conversions I generate regularly are relatively low resolution "proofs" of my more highly rated images I create and keep on my laptop harddrive so I can still browse my pictures when away from the external hard disks containing the RAW files. These proofs are JPEG, so I can also use these for posting to the web et al.

For the very rare image for which need to do editing above and beyond that which can be done in RAW processing, then I would indeed have to save in another format. Based on discussion in the similar current thread on dpreview, I may start considering PNG.
10-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

my workflow consists of opening up Lightroom

using lightroom to import directly from my camera all the RAW images into one single folder, which i call "RAW" and into the lightroom catalogue.

this folder gets backed up now and then.

any work that i do, i export into a seperate individually named folders in jpeg format, so if i was at a party on october 3rd, id call it "October 3 2008 - Johns Party", and all the jpges are stored in there, usualy i size them 1000X600 and "90%"

if i ever want to print something ijust go back into my catalogue and re-do it at maximum resolution.
10-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I only convert to JPG when I'm ready to print or to put online. Otherwise, my edits are saved in an XMP file (I use ACR/Bridge/Photoshop) and I am able to quickly regenerate any JPG easily, so I don't hold onto ANY JPGs, just the RAWs and the XMP files.

ALL of my manual post-processing is done in ACR, and I only use the AbsoluteSharpeningWeb script to sharpen/resize/convert to JPG in Photoshop (I automate this using the ImageProcessor)
10-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Using Silkypix for RAW handling. Like many others often save as jpeg, but also to some other formats mostly tiff.
10-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #14

Hello,

According to the PP i have to perform, i use GIMP+UFraw and save as jpeg 1:1:1, or, if no PP is required, i use PPL (Silkypix) and save as jpeg 4:2:2 (wonder why 1:1:1 is not available on PPL/Silkypix ...)

Best regards
10-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
baw

Shoot PEF, download as DNG into Lighroom.
Any edits will be written into the DNG preview image.
My DAM software (iMatch) reads this preview and displays the edited version as thumbnail.
For the moment I still keep the PEF's.

For web publishing, printing etc. I use the DNG and convert as needed.