Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2020, 02:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
DCU as a previous step?

Hello!
I have read through some website, that to preserve all the raw data of our photos when editing, the best thing would be to open them in DCU and then export them as DNG, from this DCU, so that, when opening the raw in other Applications, be it Lightroom, Capture One or other programs, keep all the original data from the Pentax raw and not a standard interpretation, which these programs would do when opening these raw, which would be poorer than the one DCU does.
** Would it make any sense to do so? Would we gain in richness of color, sharpness, etc ...?
Cheers

05-09-2020, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would be the point of putting your image through several raw developers? You don't lose that much saving to tif.
05-09-2020, 03:22 AM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And remember as we approach our final edit all that extra information in there becomes less relevant and adds nothing visible to the image. The only time you need it is when you make a major change ie dramatically changing your tone and if you find you need to do that it is best to go back to the original and start over.
05-09-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gopersuel Quote
Would it make any sense to do so?
Absolutely none.

---------- Post added 05-09-20 at 12:57 PM ----------

Would we gain in richness of color, sharpness
Color is an attribute that you can fine tune almost limitlessly in the raw file conversion stage whether it be PEF or DNG.

Sharpness is an interesting subject. A raw file without any adjustments made to it is unsharp. Your raw converter is where sharpness is applied, first through "capture sharpening" at the input stage, and finally by "output sharpening" which should be done at the very end of your workflow after all other edits have been done (including resizing).

Last edited by pschlute; 05-09-2020 at 04:59 AM.
05-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello!
I have read through some website...
Might help to mention the website, but they're still talking from the back of their heads. Lightroom, Capture One, Camera RAW, DarkTable, old Uncle Tom Cobbleigh and all read the full data from camera as a DNG or PEF which is the raw file. Do as much or little as you like thereafter, since a typical raw file is often flat and dull but ready for "developing" to its full potential.

If you just shoot JPEGs, then you are at the camera settings's mercy.
05-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This advice only make sense if you have an older camera without native support of the DNG format (PEF only) that you want to use with a software not supporting PEF. But if the camera natively support DNG, there is'nt much point in importing the DNG in DCU only to export it in DNG...
05-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would it make any sense to do so? Would we gain in richness of color, sharpness, etc ...?
I use RawTherapee to develop DNG files from my K-3 II. I find that I can achieve better results with RT than with DCU.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-09-2020 at 08:00 AM.
05-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I find that I can achieve better results with RT than with DCU.
Indeed, apart from when I bought my first DSLR in 2004, I have never installed the Pentax software since.
05-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers