Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

New 645 z Beginner processing software questions. HELP!

Just bought a 645z. I have not received it yet. . Have only used 645 film bodies before. Always loved the 645.Gave it up because I couldn't get the film I liked anymore.

I'm looking for software to process images but a really don't love post processing. Sitting in front of a computer = yuk.
I have Lightroom 5.2 classic. But I need 5.7 according to Adobe website. I really don't want to join the cloud and pay a monthly fee to upgrade.
I am looking for options.
If I convert files into DNG can I get 645z files into Lightroom 5.2? If so what software do i need to convert the files to DNG?

Is Adobe Raw only for PS?
Other Options?

Thank You

05-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom should be able to ingest any DNG file. There is a converter here: Adobe Digital Negative Converter
I don't see why that would not work. You might check to see if the 645z can shoot DNG natively, most modern Pentax cameras do but I'm not familiar with the 645z. However, in some cases older versions of Lightroom do not understand some natively shot DNGs. In that case you just use the Adobe DNG converter to convert the DNGs to DNGs and Lightroom is happy again.

There are a number of processing programs that I'm sure others will chime in about so I'll let that alone. I'm committed to Lightroom photography package as I use it for work so I've no experience with the other programs.
05-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you already own lightroom 5, you should be able to upgrade to 5.7 without having to purchase anything- if you can find the installer, that is.

Also if you shoot in DNG I do believe even older versions of Adobe products will do the trick.

That said, the 645z produces huge files, so the performance and feature improvements in the latest version of lightroom (which also includes photoshop) are worth a second look. I believe the $9.99 monthly fee to be quite reasonable, and if you find prepaid deals you may be able to knock that down closer to $8.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2020, 11:57 PM   #4

The easy answer is to shoot in Tiff, very little file size difference between 645z DNG and Tiff, its the odd kb or 2 here and there.

05-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Specs say the 645z records in PEF, DNG, TIFF, and JPEGs.

Is there any limitation to shooting in DNG or TIFF compared to RAW?

I used to use TIFF files when I scanned 645 film with a virtual drum scanner (120 mb files!). They seemed very stable to work with.

So the work flow would be:
SD card --> import DNG (or TIFF) to computer --> accept file into Lightroom?

That simple? I hope.

If I shoot 20 landscape pics in a day that's a big day for me. So large files aren't as concerning to me.
05-15-2020, 04:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pdsrms Quote

That simple? I hope.
Yes. It's that simple.

Enjoy
05-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check the Pentax website. They might have software for it already.
05-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ummmm....

QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
The easy answer is to shoot in Tiff, very little file size difference between 645z DNG and Tiff, its the odd kb or 2 here and there.
I don't think so.....

05-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pdsrms Quote
Specs say the 645z records in PEF, DNG, TIFF, and JPEGs.

Is there any limitation to shooting in DNG or TIFF compared to RAW?

I used to use TIFF files when I scanned 645 film with a virtual drum scanner (120 mb files!). They seemed very stable to work with.

That simple? I hope.

If I shoot 20 landscape pics in a day that's a big day for me. So large files aren't as concerning to me.
I have been shooting DNG's with the Z since I got it 6 years ago. I don't think anyone has ever found a difference between PEF and DNG in quality. I see no reason to shoot TIFFs, and jpg's are hard IMO---you need a pro mindset for them, and you need to do work to dial in your camera. Note that the Z takes a little getting used to, exposure-wise. It has limited headroom, but an almost limitless basement---this latter is kind of shocking. So, definitely go out and check on what you need to do exposure wise or you'll be sad. Lot's of us routinely underexpose by a stop, although I've been able to lift that in certain situations. Just be careful of strong highlights and don't worry at all about the shadows.

As far as Lightroom is concerned, I have no issues with it. I have v6.14 and it works fine, but now at work I have a subscription so I may be transitioning. There are other options that may get more juice out of the files, but you'll need to spend more time at the computer to do that, so, maybe no gain for you.