Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2020, 10:02 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Useful Youtube tutorials on RawTherapee post-processing

Andy Astbury: Andy Astbury - YouTube

I came across this guy on YouTube. At first, I thought that his videos would be difficult to sit through, especially the longer ones. However, I have come to appreciate his low-key, deliberate style, which is amenable to following along with your own practice images. Although I've been using RT for several years, I've picked up useful tips and ideas, both for RT itself as well as for general post-processing.

His presentation style might not appeal to some viewers, but he's not a 'Hey, wassup youtubers?' in-your-face kind of guy, and he seems to know his stuff in depth. He is methodical in walking through and explaining fairly sophisticated techniques.

Click on 'Uploads' to see his catalogue of videos. He also covers Photoshop, Lightroom, and general techniques.

How about you -- Are there any videos or other tutorials that you'd like to mention?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-22-2020 at 06:16 PM.
05-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately I don't have any thing to offer but will be checking this out as a user of RT.
05-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link, any more info on using Photoshop is welcome too.
05-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing. I will have a watch for sure.
Sorry I don't have any videos for RT as to date I have just learnt from trial and lots of error! I do like RT though.

05-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll have to have a look at that. I want to like RawTherapee (mainly for processing Pixel Shift images) but I just find it terribly clunky and unintuitive...
05-23-2020, 05:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing
05-23-2020, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I'll have to have a look at that. I want to like RawTherapee (mainly for processing Pixel Shift images) but I just find it terribly clunky and unintuitive...
Thanks for your comment.

RawTherapee is often regarded by some new or prospective users as a complicated application. However, like other multi-featured programs, using it becomes easier and more streamlined with practice. If you're already using a program such as Lightroom and have a well-established workflow, getting used to RawTherapee's different user interface and tools will take a bit of time.

May I suggest several steps that might help?

The de facto primary reference for RawTherapee is the online RawPedia, which includes a short article on 'Getting Started': Getting Started - RawPedia

Secondly, you may wish to look on YouTube for videos on 'RawTherapee tutorials' or 'RawTherapee Introduction'.

Thirdly, I found that I was more comfortable with the interface when I 'collapsed' all of the tabs and expanded only one or two functions at a time. When all tab areas have been collapsed, in the 'Preferences' window > General > Layout, click the 'Save tool collapsed/expanded state now' and unclick 'Save tool collapsed/expanded state on exit'. Then, RawTherapee will always open with a clean, fully-collapsed appearance.

Finally, and perhaps most important, starting slowly with a couple of practice images could help the new user learn about the overall interface and the basic functions such as Exposure control.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-23-2020 at 01:09 PM.
05-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ok, thanks. I'll give all that a try...
05-25-2020, 01:08 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
The Squirrel Mafia's new & improved RawTherapee thread! - PentaxForums.com

^ Visit my RawTherapee thread if you haven't already. I have some presets (PP3 files) that make post processing a breeze with or without pixel shift.
05-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The Squirrel Mafia's new & improved RawTherapee thread! - PentaxForums.com

^ Visit my RawTherapee thread if you haven't already. I have some presets (PP3 files) that make post processing a breeze with or without pixel shift.
Ok. I'll have a look...