Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

? About Custom Image selections in Digital Camera Utility 5

I am planning on purchasing a Pentax K70 with the 18-135mm lens and the post processing feature I note below would be important to me.

I like to shoot RAW with the option to post process using Custom Image selections on my computer. Does Pentax K70 come with a Image Processing Software that will work like Nikon NX2? Read on...

I have a Nikon and use the NX2 software that comes with the camera will process RAW images with presets that are in the camera under picture controls. So when I open a RAW image in the NX2 software, I can then select one of the picture controls, Neutral, Standard, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait or Landscape. This gives me a starting point to work from.

I would like to choose the K70 Custom Image selections in when post processing from RAW. Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Radiant, Muted, Flat, Bleach Bypass, Reversal Film, Monochrome, Cross Processing.

Does Pentax provide post processing software with the camera that will allow me to select from the Custom Image selections as a starting point?

Thanks everyone.

06-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A warm welcome to the forum. From what I've read here on PF, that camera and lens will be a great introduction to the world of Pentax! Looking forward to seeing some of your images taken with them. I don't use DCU5, so I'll let others comment on it.
06-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes. All the settings are there. If you shoot Bright, you can use Bright. If you shoot Landscape, you can use Landscape, & so forth & so on. I would use it on occasion in the past, but now the only thing I use it for is extracting the embedded jpegs out of the RAW files for quick viewing. For everything else, I use RawTherapee with .dcp files that give you the same Bright, Landscape, Natural, Portrait, & Vibrant modes in the camera, but it's limited to those 5 color profiles. PDCU5 has like a million color profiles. Well, I'm exaggerating, but you get the jist.
06-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may also be able to use your Nikon softwares fit can read DNG files, maybe not, but you can try.

06-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yes. All the settings are there. If you shoot Bright, you can use Bright. If you shoot Landscape, you can use Landscape, & so forth & so on. I would use it on occasion in the past, but now the only thing I use it for is extracting the embedded jpegs out of the RAW files for quick viewing. For everything else, I use RawTherapee with .dcp files that give you the same Bright, Landscape, Natural, Portrait, & Vibrant modes in the camera, but it's limited to those 5 color profiles. PDCU5 has like a million color profiles. Well, I'm exaggerating, but you get the jist.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
t can read DNG files, maybe not, but you can t
QuoteOriginally posted by kronos Quote
k like Nikon NX2? Read on...
Wow, ok thanks for your help. So the DCU5 will process RAW process into any one of the Custom Image Selections. Great. I just want to use that for quick post processing. For more detailed changes I have Affinity Photo.
06-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from the UK, kronos.

Another feature of the bundled DCU5 software is that it will process pixel shift photos that you would take with the K-70. While other software can process these pictures, only DCU5 and the free RawTherapee offer motion correction functionality. The jury here is split on which of these two does it better, but my preference is for DCU5.