Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nebulosity 4 workflow?

I'm trying to get workflow set up for doing wide angle astro shots, stacking stars with nebulosity. I'm curious if anyone else does this, and what your workflow is. I'm just starting into it, can't claim any proficiency yet.

This is a test I did last night. 14mm bower lens, 30 exposures, 2 dark frames. Each exposure f/2.8, ISO 2500, 5 seconds. I haven't figured how to bayer demosiac photos in Nebulosity (yet), so instead my workflow was:

1. import the 30 photos into lightroom
  2. develop one image (exposure, lens correction, etc)
  3. copy these settings to the other 29 photos
  4. export
  5. open Neb 4
  6. run the "align and combine images" tool, using translation and rotation, select all 30 files exported from LR
  7. run that, and save an image as "foreground.png"
  8. open a new copy of Neb 4
  9. run the "align and combine images" tool, using no alignment method, select all 30 files exported from LR
  10. run that, and save an image as "background.png"
  11. combine the two images using photoshop

I realize this is low tech, but have to start somewhere? With this, the dark frames aren't used...

My nitpicks - there is some star streaking in the corners. Perhaps shorted exposures? Some comma too, I need to better focus that lens.

06-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm trying to get workflow set up for doing wide angle astro shots, stacking stars with nebulosity. I'm curious if anyone else does this, and what your workflow is. I'm just starting into it, can't claim any proficiency yet.

This is a test I did last night. 14mm bower lens, 30 exposures, 2 dark frames. Each exposure f/2.8, ISO 2500, 5 seconds. I haven't figured how to bayer demosiac photos in Nebulosity (yet), so instead my workflow was:

1. import the 30 photos into lightroom
  2. develop one image (exposure, lens correction, etc)
  3. copy these settings to the other 29 photos
  4. export
  5. open Neb 4
  6. run the "align and combine images" tool, using translation and rotation, select all 30 files exported from LR
  7. run that, and save an image as "foreground.png"
  8. open a new copy of Neb 4
  9. run the "align and combine images" tool, using no alignment method, select all 30 files exported from LR
  10. run that, and save an image as "background.png"
  11. combine the two images using photoshop

I realize this is low tech, but have to start somewhere? With this, the dark frames aren't used...

My nitpicks - there is some star streaking in the corners. Perhaps shorted exposures? Some comma too, I need to better focus that lens.

I'd start in Nebulosity and do a proper calibration, then align, and then clean anything up afterwards.