Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #1

Categorize the lens details

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a way to categorize the lens details in the computer ? I have lots of photos saved in the computer and recently is starting a blog of my photography and family, is there any ways i can filter the lens by focal length or model or by aperture ? Heaps thanks

07-12-2020, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use a program like Adobe Bridge (the CC version is actually free). This will enable you to get a breakdown of photos by lens and other parameters.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-12-2020, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a way to categorize the lens details in the computer ? I have lots of photos saved in the computer and recently is starting a blog of my photography and family, is there any ways i can filter the lens by focal length or model or by aperture ? Heaps thanks
It depends on what software you are using for content management. If the software allows search/sort on metadata along with mechanism for applying tags and/or comprehensive support for interpreting manufacturers lens codes, you are golden.

I use Adobe Lightroom and it does a pretty good job except that lens code support with translation to a "friendly" name is patchy in the version I use.

Steve
07-12-2020, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A digital asset manager should be able to do that as long as you are saving the EXIF data with your images. I use Zoner ZPS-X to manage my files, I also used to develop my raw files with Zoner. Zoner is a very capable program and you can test it free of charge for 30 days and after the 30 day trial the develop module will cease to function but the digital asset manager still functions fully. The sorting options are extensive. Give them a look Zoner Photo Studio X?Windows software for editing and organizing photos Zoner can sort 47 EXIF Metadata fields among them are aperture, shutter speed, focal length, lens, camera make and model and much more.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-12-2020 at 06:47 PM.
07-13-2020, 03:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys, i use lightroom and i will try the adobe software. Thanks
07-13-2020, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the Grid view in the Library module of LR, you can apply filters to the images. The list of Metadata filters is in the attached screen capture. I find this to be very useful at times.
Attached Images

07-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #7

I believe you can use EXIFTool to extract the relevant metadata into a CSV file which you can then import into a spreadsheet.

There's also ExposurePlot but it only analyzes JPEG files.

Last edited by Not a Number; 07-13-2020 at 08:23 AM.
07-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
In the Grid view in the Library module of LR, you can apply filters to the images. The list of Metadata filters is in the attached screen capture. I find this to be very useful at times.
Thanks Isimpkins, I will try it after work. Yesterday I installed the adobe bridge but need time to figure out how to use it. All my photos are saved under sub folder sorted by date and title in my PC. It may take time to organise my library.

Thanks again
07-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey guys,

When in Lightroom simply select metadata from the Library filters above your photos. Then select the lens as I demonstrate in the screenshot. Is this what you wanted ?
Attached Images

07-14-2020, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
When in Lightroom simply select metadata from the Library filters above your photos. Then select the lens as I demonstrate in the screenshot. Is this what you wanted ?
Thank you, this is what I want, i got it.

Heap thanks

---------- Post added 07-14-2020 at 01:42 AM ----------

Hi everyone, really thanks for your help. Stay safe guys.
07-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If you use Lighroom, the function is built in. Filter by focal length, or filter by individual lens. The only issue you will have is if you are using a non supported version (read this as a standalone version rather than a cloud based version), you will have problems with identifying lenses made after the support ended.
I'm using Lightroom Classic, and it doesn't recognize my D FA* 50/1.4, my D FA* 85/1.4 or my D FA 70-210. It picks up the focal length, but it doesn't identify the lens.
07-15-2020, 12:53 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm using Lightroom Classic, and it doesn't recognise my D FA* 50/1.4, my D FA* 85/1.4 or my D FA 70-210. It picks up the focal length, but it doesn't identify the lens.
Time to trim down the lens collection...

With the Harem it's easy as I only have one of each focal length (input manually on camera). Except 28mm and 50mm and I can tell by the image which ones which or by aperture, only one is at F1.2
07-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm using Lightroom Classic, and it doesn't recognize my D FA* 50/1.4, my D FA* 85/1.4 or my D FA 70-210. It picks up the focal length, but it doesn't identify the lens.
Can you not edit that in the metadata ?

Lens id is no more complicated than the field having "something" written into it. I use Silkypix for my raw processing. I can add a new lens id to the metadata, and it will remember the lens on any future image processed that was captured by the same lens. My recent D-FA* 85mm images posted here have the lens id in the exif

Although I do use LR and PS, I do not use them generally for processing raw images.
07-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The lens profiles can be added using the files bundled with the current version DNG Convertor, but the look-up-table mapping from LensType (codes) from makernotes into whatever Adobe uses for display and search purposes is still lacking. ExifTool is able to write the "friendly" name from its tables into the standard EXIF LensModel tag. When LensModel is present, Lightroom will use that value for both display and search/sort.

Steve
07-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure some people can. I don't seem to be one of them though.