Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #1

Looking for a monitor

I am looking for a new monitor. Any monitor will be an upgrade for me and it will have multiple daily uses. Photo editing will be one of the uses but not the main use. i want to limit my spending to under $400 and probably a 27". I have read a lot about the 4k scaling issues. I am looking for opinions on 4k vs 2k for all uses. It seems 4k would be better for photo editing but may not be for daily use, especially with a 27". I am not a gamer and my other uses are generally internet (especially newspapers) and pdf views. I do a tremendous amount of photo viewing and some editing especially this time of year when I am photographing flowers. My viewing distance is generally around 2 1/2 to 3 feet. This forum is always a huge help when it comes to making purchases. Thank you .

07-20-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would strongly suggest getting an IPS panel monitor. Colours will be more accurate at more viewing angles.
I would suggest saving money by avoiding 'fast' monitors. Since you don't game, you don't need a monitor with greater than 60Hz.
I would strongly suggest getting as high of colour gamut as you can afford. look for the greatest sRGB % you can afford.
I would suggest getting the best colour bit-depth you can afford as well. Something like 8-bit depth or 10-bit depth.
07-20-2020, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I would strongly suggest getting an IPS panel monitor. Colours will be more accurate at more viewing angles.
I would suggest saving money by avoiding 'fast' monitors. Since you don't game, you don't need a monitor with greater than 60Hz.
I would strongly suggest getting as high of colour gamut as you can afford. look for the greatest sRGB % you can afford.
I would suggest getting the best colour bit-depth you can afford as well. Something like 8-bit depth or 10-bit depth.
Thanks FozzFoster. Those are important considerations. I was somewhat concerned about the 60 Hz refresh rates and also slow response rates. You help put my mind at ease with your comment. I have been fortunate to find 10 bit depths in my price range. I am leaning toward 2k around $300. A Benq 4k just came on sale at the same price. I will compare the features you mentioned.
07-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've been happy with Dell Ultrasharp monitors. They have different model levels, some are within your price range, others with "PremierColor" are over $1000. Ultrasharp generally has good enough color calibration for photo editing if you don't want to buy a separate color calibration device. Viewing angles and contrast are good.

I use a resolution between 2k and 4k on a 25" screen. 2560x1440 is called QHD or WQHD. My desk viewing distance is just under 2 feet. It's high enough resolution for my photo editing and also works well for general computer usage, gaming, and movies. Scaling has not been an issue for me with Windows 10.

Here's a 27" Dell for $356. Unfortunately out of stock at the moment Dell UltraSharp 27 Monitor: U2719D | Dell USA

07-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wldrnss Quote
I was somewhat concerned about the 60 Hz refresh rates and also slow response rates.
60Hz (or greater) with 5 ms (or lower) response rates will be just fine for photo viewing/editing..
Even for light gaming.
BenQ makes fantastic monitors.
07-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I've been happy with Dell Ultrasharp monitors. They have different model levels, some are within your price range, others with "PremierColor" are over $1000. Ultrasharp generally has good enough color calibration for photo editing if you don't want to buy a separate color calibration device. Viewing angles and contrast are good.

I use a resolution between 2k and 4k on a 25" screen. 2560x1440 is called QHD or WQHD. My desk viewing distance is just under 2 feet. It's high enough resolution for my photo editing and also works well for general computer usage, gaming, and movies. Scaling has not been an issue for me with Windows 10.

Here's a 27" Dell for $356. Unfortunately out of stock at the moment Dell UltraSharp 27 Monitor: U2719D | Dell USA
The 27" Dell was one of the ones I had tabbed especially with the sale price. The Dell ultra sharps were ranked high by various sources. The BenQ's are also highly rated. I have to narrow it down and you guys are helping!
07-20-2020, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I would strongly suggest getting an IPS panel monitor. Colours will be more accurate at more viewing angles.I would suggest saving money by avoiding 'fast' monitors. Since you don't game, you don't need a monitor with greater than 60Hz.I would strongly suggest getting as high of colour gamut as you can afford. look for the greatest sRGB % you can afford.I would suggest getting the best colour bit-depth you can afford as well. Something like 8-bit depth or 10-bit depth.
I whole-heartedly agree with all these points. I've been very happy with my Viewsonic VP2468 24" monitor. It came with a certificate of calibration. I opted not to get the 27" version due to viewing distance and available desk space.
07-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
After hours of review and taking into account your comments I decided an a new unreviewed ASUS ASUS ProArt Display PA248QV. it appears this was released in March or April, 2020. As it turns out my graphics card won't handle more than 60 mHz anyway. A 27" screen seems like overkill for me.1080 on a 24" screen would be a major improvement. This is 1200 and 16:10. We will see how that works. Funny after hours of looking I chose one without much of a track record. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Thank you for your help!

07-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hello,

Maybe it's a bit late, but you can take a look at BenQ SW240's reviews. It's around 400$, 24" (not too big), 99% Adobe RGB. It's a great monitor for photography.

Regards.
07-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello,

Maybe it's a bit late, but you can take a look at BenQ SW240's reviews. It's around 400$, 24" (not too big), 99% Adobe RGB. It's a great monitor for photography.

Regards.
That was in the mix. I gambled on a newer 1200 monitor by Asus. It was cheaper and has the calibration ability and was cheaper. The problem was there were no reviews. It turned out to be a good choice so far.
07-31-2020, 04:11 AM   #11
Unregistered User

I went out yesterday and bought a "LG 27GL850-B 27" QHD 144Hz HDMI DP FreeSync HDR G-Sync Compatible IPS LED Gaming Monitor" for $450.00 at Microcenter.com. I also bought a "EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card" to plug the monitor into.

What I've been using was a ViewSonic XG3220 monitor with a NVidia GTX 745 (OEM) video card. I first noticed that pictures I edited on my "photography computer" looked different on that monitor from the same files displayed on my "tv/internet computer". (For security reasons, the photography computer has no IP address and can't talk to the InterNet.)

As I've mentioned in other posts, I have red/green color blindness, so I don't pay any attention to colors in my pictures. I have told my cameras to record the colors as naturally as they can and usually set the white balance to "auto" or where available, "multi-auto", and I never adjust color temperature or white balance in post-processing (except under the direction of my wife, who has much better color-vision that the average human). Where I'm not certain about the white balance, I use a light-diffusing lens cover to train the camera to a custom setting.

When I bought the ViewSonic monitor (which cost me six hundred bucks), I got it because it has all sorts of whiz-bang capability that, it turns out, makes it a good "gaming" monitor. But it's next to impossible to modify the colors (which was fine for me initially because I had no interest in adjusting anything on the assumption that I couldn't do better than the manufacturer had done. But I found out that monitor requires color-calibration using a hardware sensor with special software. No way I'm going to do all that, and wouldn't be able to tell whether it was right or not.

So I was watching Dustin Abbott's review of his latest BenQ monitor in which he discussed such things and showed off his monitor calibration system. Now this is a guy whom I am confident knows what he's talking about, so I paid close attention. And, in the course of his discourse, he kind of tossed off that hardware calibration device and said he didn't generally bother with that procedure, preferring to buy monitors "pre-calibrated" at the factory. So that's what I was looking for, something I didn't have to adjust.

So, what I ended up with was a choice between two monitors, both from LG, but the twelve-hundred dollar one didn't look as good for photography as the one I ended up with, and both were advertised as "gaming" monitors. The one I bought has a 144 MHz refresh rate, as opposed to the usual 60, for example. But most importantly, it's "pre-calibrated".

The new video card was a "nice to have", since the one on the motherboard would probably do just fine for what I'm doing. But the new one should definitely support the functionality of the new monitor.

One of my kids does a good bit of online multiplayer bang-bang-shoot-em-up video gaming (seems appropriate given his support for the "liberal" agenda), so I'm going to give him my "old" monitor, which will be a tremendous upgrade from what he's using now. It's all my fault, I raised the kids on "Duke Nukem 3D" in the house I'd wired for Cat-5E ethernet. We had computers in disparate locations around the house, and three or four of us playing against each other over the LAN.

Well, it's supposed to rain for the next few days, so I reckon I'll do the surgery on my computer and see whether the new arrangement will work.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-31-2020 at 10:18 AM.