Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys have really given me quite a list to work my way through.

I am going to do a recap of all the recommendations.

Pentax Digital Camera Utility.
ACDsee Professional
Affinity.serif
Darktable
Digikam
DXO Photolab 3
FastStone
GIMP
IrfanView
Lightroom
ON1 Photo Raw
Paint.net
Photoshop
Photoshop Element
PhotoImpact 10
Picasa
RAWTherapre
Windows Photo View & Windows Paint
XnView

I have installed the Pentax Software but my photos are still hanging out unloved on the cards.

Enjoy your day.

Todd

08-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #32

I use Rawtherapee for my editing and a couple home-brewed Python scripts for file organization.
Rawtherapee is a little daunting, but it has pretty good documentation and is completely free.
08-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost any program will work for jpg use. Raw files are where more specialized tools are needed. At one point I only used a Chromebook and I used Pixlr and other tools without any problem. Start with something free or cheap.
08-02-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by toddster Quote
I am going to do a recap of all the recommendations.
Keep in mind that while most of these can do many things and some may overlap in most of their functions, there will be some programs that are better suited for doing certain things than others. I for example have come to use three of the programs that you have listed: "FastStone Image Viewer" mainly for doing what its full name suggests: Viewing images. Mostly after importing a folder from the camera, I use it to check in full screen mode how the images compare out of camera, sometimes zooming in on 100% to compare which picture from a series is the sharpest, and deleting the others right then and there. From there I have an idea what pictures are my favorites, and I open up DxO PhotoLab to edit those (the corresponding RAW files) to my liking and convert them into full size jpgs in 100% jpg quality. I rarely use GIMP, but it's my free tool of choice if I want to create something more complex than is possible in DxO. For example combine elements of multiple pictures in one. Make a collage. Stack images using layer masks. Create a cut-out. Things that take one or more finished photos to create something else out of them.

Sometimes I opt to take the result I get from DxO and edit it further in a program from the Nik Collection that I got for free back when it was not yet acquired by DxO. There's a program for black and white conversion, for colours, for sharpness,... they are like filters that change the appearance of the whole photo.

And while I could crop and resize images directly in DxO, which I think would yield cleaner results, I do that in FastStone again most of the time. It also has some very powerful batch conversion tools for resizing, renaming and more.

You might want to check out other programs if you want to do something special: HDRs, macro stacking (e.g. CombineZP), panorama stitching (Microsoft ICE), astrophotography (DeepSkyStacker),...