Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shoot in PEF and all lens metadata is available, using K20D and a variety of DA* & DA lenses. Mac OS X 10.5.6 - Aperture 2.1.2- K20D 1.01. When shooting DNG or JPG lens data not present.

01-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WRB Quote
Shoot in PEF and all lens metadata is available, using K20D and a variety of DA* & DA lenses. Mac OS X 10.5.6 - Aperture 2.1.2- K20D 1.01. When shooting DNG or JPG lens data not present.
Well written comment! I'll agree.

But the DNG files converted with Adobe DNG Converter does not have problems with Aperture.

I use 'exiftool' to add missing data (eg. lenses (M, A and non Pentax), copyright, location etc.) and then convert PEF to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter. That is my way to do ... it might not fit your needs or workflow.
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Seems Flyer may be right about the decoded Camera Temperature EXIF value being of dubious value. [...]

Note that if one changes the 252C to 252K in the exiv2 output then the temperature is bang on (melting point of water is 273.15K = 0 C). No idea how exiftool comes up with -4 C. I will keep an eye on this over varying temperatures to see if a pattern emerges.
Exiv2 gives 252C because it is incorrectly interpreting the signed byte as unsigned. The value should be -4. Note that in general the camera temperature won't equalize with the ambient temperature unless it is left off in that environment for many hours. A value of -4C is perfectly reasonable if you were outside in -21C weather either for a short time or if you kept the camera warmer by keeping it close to your body or holding onto it with your bare hands. Also, you will notice the camera temperature climb just by taking pictures due to the heat generated by the embedded CPU.

- Phil
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adobe Bridge is pretty inconsistent in how it presents EXIF data as well. Sometimes there is a lens model, and sometimes there isn't. Sometimes a particular location in the metadata displays the subject and sometimes the description.

The easiest and most consistent display is often the file properties in Vista. It also allows editing of more functions than Adobe. I do wish that file properties would allow me to enter exposure information in scans.

02-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The easiest and most consistent display is often the file properties in Vista. It also allows editing of more functions than Adobe. I do wish that file properties would allow me to enter exposure information in scans.
I would recommend NOT using Windows to edit metadata. It has a really bad track record for corruption of metadata (particularly maker note information).