Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2020, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adobe Lightroom App update deletes photos and presets

An update to the Lightroom App on iPhone and iPad devices deletes users' photos and presets - wow!

Lightroom App Update Wipes Users' Photos and Presets, Adobe Says they are 'Not Recoverable'

08-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every time I see a story like this I am reminded of the good data security practice for backups of 3-2-1
3 copies of your important data
2 different mediums
1 off site copy

This smells like a fix getting pushed out without actually being fully tested, or possiably not tested at all and one of the "It compiles ship it" ones.
08-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep. Reminds me of the guide that any data you don't have in at least two unrelated places is data you're willing to loose! And then lets not forget restoration testing before you actually need to restore it!
08-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Presumably this only affects users who use their phone/ipad apps and cloud storage for photos as the only place where they store their photos ?

I have the LR phone/ipad app but rarely use it. My photos are saved to my discs in my main computer and are backed up regularly.

08-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The article says it did not affect photos in the cloud. I have Lightroom on the iPad and iPhone but seldom use it, I stick with Classic when possible, iPad for when I want to edit when traveling. I checked and did not lose presets so they were synced and I do have six photos synced. I’m not sure what option you use to not synch to cloud or save to your hard drive.

I'm not sure how the app could delete photos, edits yes, but originals, I question that. But I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Lightroom Classic is great, and it's nice to have those mobile apps available, but they are not the same thing as the classic version, starting at import when the don't let you specify file names, and I wouldn't mind the cloud as a backup, if they would give you enough space, but they don't.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 08-21-2020 at 12:54 PM.