Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 12:51 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Tale of Two Books (photo book vendor review)

A problem with taking up photography sort of seriously in later life is the walls of house are already loaded with photos and other art work. Easy, get rid of stuff. This answer comes from unmarried people. Plan B, do photo books. Lots of vendors. Based upon "experts" on the internet/YouTube I started with Printique (Adorama) as they had a rep for quality, doing only lay-flat books and silver halide printing. Their editing program was not hard to use as a first-timer although I have been messing around with graphic programs and such since the last century. All and all it went smooth and with a first-time discount the price was in line with other vendors. Of course, it takes a bit of time to comparative shop in a wild world of ever changing "deals" that you must not pass up. Although Printique gives you stern warning about checking and double checking I managed to include a duplicate photo. The final product, image wrapped hardcover, was excellent, at least the production part. The content "Steam Locomotives" to me is always great. Like donuts, even a bad one is better than no donut. A nice feature is they include a online copy of the book that you can bore your friends with. 12X12 Book created 07202020. I had no problem at all with the project. Printique lives up to their promises

So on to a second project. Trying to keep a theme narrower than My Summer Trip, I put together wildlife photos and the odd image of historical sites. I went with a standard bound softcover, the least expensive format from Photobook America. Again, the editing program was easy and I sent it off after proofreading about half a dozen times. Photobook America "promises" 7 day delivery on the product i ordered. It ended up 9 days which was not a big problem, however, there was a triangular depression-crease in the shipping envelope that appeared on every page of the book. I contacted them, they wanted photos, sent those, they apologized and expedited a replacement copy that arrived in perfect shape. So customer service can be praised. As to the book, the digital printing is very good. I have yet to bother with a side by side comparison with my computer screen but I doubt if there is much of a difference in the colors. I can recommend Photobook America for "everyday" level books.

Next project is black and white, or monochrome if you prefer. Probably will go back to Printique as this is an "artsy" endeavor and it sounds better if you say, "It's being handled by my shop in New York." I am not experienced enough to argue the quality of silver halide so I will follow the experts.

09-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for that. I had no idea that silver halide printing was still available. Nice photos in the book!
09-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very enjoyable. Thnks for sharing. Something I have thought about.
09-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How expensive is this service?

09-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice book. I need to get around to documenting our travels before I lose the memories.
09-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
A problem with taking up photography sort of seriously in later life is the walls of house are already loaded with photos and other art work. Easy, get rid of stuff. This answer comes from unmarried people.
I'm a young married person who took up photography in his early 20s, and this quote still speaks to me so hard. I live in a scarf/shoe house, not a camera/photo house, and I just need to make my peace with that.

Good luck with the book!
09-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
A nice feature is they include a online copy of the book that you can bore your friends with. 12X12 Book created 07202020.
Gorgeous timeless photos. Nothing boring at all about these.
09-20-2020, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How expensive is this service?
The book I shared was just under 80 bucks with shipping. The one from Photobook America was 35 with shipping. There are a lot of options $$, deals that change often, and size matters. The Photo Book Guru – The Largest Online Photo Book Database has a lot of info and he does YouTube videos. He also tries to keep track of the deals. Some printers have editing programs that you can download and work offline. Silver Halide is only available from Printique and Saal in Germany. All the rest use digital. If you are interested I suggest reading or watching photobook guru's reviews and comparisons of the various vendors. I have found a couple he does not mention but usually small operations that are higher priced. Take note not all vendors sell/ship worldwide.