Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possible to edit exif data in Raw?

A series lenses don't report lens model or focal length. Focal length can be entered if the camera body has SR. Works for Q thru K-1, but the 645Z doesn’t have SR. SR work around falters with multiple lenses of the same focal length.

Is there a program that allows adding missing model and focal length? Found many programs that edit the data, but none say they work with Raw. I only shoot Raw.

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 09-22-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarity
09-22-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
A series lenses to report lens model or focal length. Focal length can be entered if the camera body has SR. Works for Q thru K-1, but the 645Z doesn’t have SR.

Is there a program that allows adding missing model and focal length? Found many programs that edit the data, but none say they work with Raw. I only shoot Raw.

Thanks,
barondla
Try Silkypix DSPro. I recently got the DFA 85mm 1.4. This is not recognised by my version of Silkypix but it does of course recognise the FL. I am able to add the lens name to a raw file during raw conversion and I only need to do this once. Subsequent conversions remember the name
09-22-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't recall having ever edited exif, but I have used exiftool to pull data from exif. It has exif write capabilities though.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Edit: Forgot to mention that both DNG and PEF are supported formats.

Example:
exiftool -m -exif:FocalLength=85 -exif:FocalLengthIn35mmFormat=85 filename.pef

Last edited by vector; 09-22-2020 at 08:59 AM.
09-22-2020, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're using Lightroom, look for a plugin called Lens Tagger. I have been using it for ages. It allows you to edit lens model, focal length, aperture, and provides space for adding film data if you're using film bodies. It uses EXIFTool as a base, but works thru a popup in Lightroom. It's the first thing I do when I import anything.

09-22-2020, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
NameThatLens

Doesn't need Lightroom
09-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
NameThatLens

Doesn't need Lightroom
That looks pretty cool. I usually use ExifTool + ExifToolGUI, but NameThatLens looks to be a great alternative. Bookmarked!

Steve