Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #1

Capture One 20 and PEF files.

Hey everyone, So I just managed to snag a killer deal on my first digital Pentax camera, A Pentax KP.

I use Capture One for all my editing on my current Micro Four Thirds cameras but I'm finding Capture One's list of supported cameras and file types a bit confusing.

Can anyone confirm that PEF files from a KP are supported in Capture One 20?

09-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the list of supported cameras says that the KP is supported since Capture One 10.1.
Traditionally they support all Pentax FF and APSC cameras, but it can take quite a while after a new camera is out.
09-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much! Appreciate the quick reply.
09-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Metric Quote
Thank you very much! Appreciate the quick reply.

The KP also shoots DNG

Hang up and DRIVE!

09-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
The KP also shoots DNG

Hang up and DRIVE!
I always forget about the ability to shoot DNG! Never had a camera that could do it natively and my other camera shoots .ORF files which I've found to be widely supported.
09-27-2020, 12:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Metric Quote
I always forget about the ability to shoot DNG!
It's a great feature of Pentax cameras.

Note that you'll never have to upgrade Capture One (or any other software capable of dealing with DNG files) to a new version just because you want support for a new Pentax camera. Just continue to use your existing licence and import the native DNG files.

Capture One camera profiles for Pentax cameras are nothing special anyway. They have completely botched them up in the past and the recent ones are underwhelming, in my view. They used to have a marketing claim that every supported camera goes through an elaborate profiling scheme, which is just a patent lie. They'll probably do it for some camera models/brands, but definitely not for Pentax.

I recommend exploring all of the available camera profiles in C1; they can be applied to your KP images just as well and you may like them better than what you get through the KP profile. If you like an alternative profile so much that you'd like to adopt it permanently, you can associate it with a preset and apply the preset during import. There is also a profile file renaming trick that will make the profile available through the profile selection menu, as if it were a native KP profile.
09-27-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought any profile could be set as default for a camera of your choice. But I‘m not 100% sure.