Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any discussion on emulating Pentax Custom Image Profiles using Affinity Photo

Thanks in advance for your help and patience as I am trying hard, but am still a novice at post processing.

Is there any discussion on emulating Pentax Custom Image Profiles using Affinity Photo. I use Affinity photo and the Pentax Digital Camera Utility PDCU. But I would prefer to use Affinity to emulate the PDCU Custom Image profiles.

I am sure many are doing this with other PP software already, but I am using Affinity and maybe there are similarities that would set me on the right course.

It is not as simple as developing a raw image as the Pentax profiles appear to go several extra steps to achieve OOC jpg that are not (to my knowledge) part of the raw adjustments.

As an example, the basic Nikon selections are Neutral, Standard, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait & Landscape. In affinity I have worked out presets to emulate all but the Portrait, so I can bypass using Nikon's raw process utility altogether and I get better results and I have a quick starting point. After raw develop I sharpen or tweek a little.

But I am having a little trouble emulating many of the Pentax Custom Image Profiles. It appears that there are further steps beyond the raw processing to achieve the results that are built into the PDCU raw processing engine.

I really like the look of the Pentax Custom Profiles and thus want to use them as a starting point, some of them have very subtle differences as in Natural, Bright, Landscape & Vibrant, and others have very dramatic artistic effects as with Portrait, Bleach Bypass, Reversal Film, etc. So I want to have basic raw develop profiles saved, with additional pp profiles to achieve those custom settings. I hope all this makes sense. I assume I have not yet become proficient enough with all the techniques and adjustments, so I am missing something.

Any advice, settings or help would be much appreciated.

09-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck!

FWIW, Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom both support a subset of the Pentax custom image settings as camera import profiles (dcp files). In addition to Adobe Standard, there are Bright, Natural, Landscape, Portrait, and Vibrant.*

Steve

* Rumor is these were created by Ricoh/Pentax with Adobe assistance.
09-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not being funny here but if you wish to raw process a file why would you want to restrict yourself to a Pentax profile ?

You would be better off using TIFF in camera with your desired profile and editing from that. *

Can anyone confirm if Pentax TIFF from the camera is 8 or 16 bit ?
09-30-2020, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Can anyone confirm if Pentax TIFF from the camera is 8 or 16 bit ?
8-bit per channel

Steve

09-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
8-bit per channel

Steve
Thanks