Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2020, 05:45 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New software on old files

So I have moved my total history stack from Flickr to my own website and with that came the need to do some much overdue culling. I also thought i would be quite neat to have a go at some old captures with new software (as well as the new skill learnt over the more than 10 years since).

So here's a 2009 conversion of a PEF raw file shot with the K100D-Super and the Sigma 24-135mm zoom. It's a bit noisy in the darker colored areas, the lens' pincushion effect is visible, it is clearly a bit oversharpened and the keystoning could have been more precise:

Back to 2020 and redoing this raw file with the newest release of ART (Another Raw Therapee), Gimp and GMIC. I am quite surprised the file stood the test of time so well. I can put it in between my KP's 24MP files on a web gallery or even large screen and and would not seem out of place. I even printed off both versions and the new one is that much cleaner and show ample detail.

My conclusion is that we had damned good Pentax bodies back in 2009 and we have superb software available today, way more than was available to your average open-source photographer back then.

10-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice job! I’ve occasionally pulled out some old files and used new software and have been surprised. I’ll admit I’m better at PP now, but the software has come a long way.
10-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good comparison. I have also reprocessed many of my files with the latest version of darktable and there is a big difference in the software. Like @ramseybuckeye said though, there probably also is a difference in post skills. In my case I sometimes look at some of the decisions I made and am surprised at them! I think that's a pretty good thing.
10-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

Ocasionally, I take out my kx and fire a couple of shots with it just for fun. Its puzzling just how much information one can get out of that sensor, hough I got to say the jpg preview from the camera is quite ugly.