Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tv as a photo editing monitor?

I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone. I'm thinking about getting a dedicated photo editing monitor, but also wanting a tv for our spare room, so looking to have one display for both uses. I know I can technically use a tv as a monitor via HDMI, but are there any out there that would be recommended for display accuracy or able to be calibrated for editing?

I know I could buy an external digital tv tuner/converter (we only have over the air tv) and run that to a stand alone monitor, but I'm hoping for an all in one solution at a good size, 32" or so plus speakers.

Last edited by Mooncatt; 10-13-2020 at 10:49 AM.
10-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of info if you Google 32 tv monitor combo.
10-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
whatever you get, I can't stress this enough - get an IPS panel.
It will increase colour reproduction accuracy across multiple viewing angles.
TN panels are awful

I think computer monitors are more so needed for gaming (faster response rates/ refresh rates).
A TV can work for photo editing but there are general draw backs too - generally, because of pixel density, details are more discernable on a PC monitor, I believe.
Some TVs also have forced 'enhancement' features such as HDR, extra sharpening, extra saturation, etc. - That's fine when watching a movie, but if you're editing a photo to be viewed across multiple platforms and devices then you'd want to use something more standardized. Avoid TVs with enhancement features.

So, imo, you're answer is 'yes' you can use a TV as a photo editing monitor, but there are tradeoffs.
There's definitely a reason that companies manufacture separate units to perform somewhat specialized tasks.
imo, if you have the means, get a separate monitor for your photo editing and get a TV for your TV watching.
10-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If anything, I'd kill the two birds the other way around.
Buy a PC monitor, something like what BenQ has to offer.
Use the computer monitor to watch tv...

10-13-2020, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
If anything, I'd kill the two birds the other way around.
Buy a PC monitor, something like what BenQ has to offer.
Use the computer monitor to watch tv...
I would tend to agree. Depends on your internet speed, but my wife watches TV via internet on her Mac a fair amount - she has Slingnet and CBS all access. We have DSL internet at a max speed of 10-12 Mbs (that's little b - as in bits, not bytes). We are sufficiently out in the boonies that we do not have cable (and I'm too cheap for satellite), so I'm not sure how these would interface to your PC.
10-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I've decided this is going to take a lot more thought on my end, because I realized my computers (laptops for kids educational stuff) are all so old that they can't push 4K resolution. I could get away with 1080p, but I know I'd like better for editing. I don't need a powerhouse computer because I don't do anything professional or time sensitive, but computer plus monitor plus all the other bits and pieces are not in the budget right now.
10-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Thanks for the input. I've decided this is going to take a lot more thought on my end, because I realized my computers (laptops for kids educational stuff) are all so old that they can't push 4K resolution. I could get away with 1080p, but I know I'd like better for editing. I don't need a powerhouse computer because I don't do anything professional or time sensitive, but computer plus monitor plus all the other bits and pieces are not in the budget right now.
I use my 55 inch TV for Netflix etc. driven by a 10 year old Mac mini. And I have an auxiliary 27 inch 4k monitor attached to my 10 year old iMac that supports 2650x1600. So using a 27 inch 4 k monitor on a computer that isn't 4k is still feasible. It's not like a true 4k display but is still workable. I watched TV on that iMac for years before we bought the 4k TV.

If you plan to upgrade in the future, why not just by a 27 4k inch monitor and use it for both? As you upgrade your computers you'll have reduced the one time expense if you already have the monitor.

Mind you, when I run the 4k TV on the Mac mini, I wouldn't consider it acceptable for image editing. SO my advice would be as above. Using a monitor as a TV is better than using a TV as a monitor. And using my 10 year old Mac mini as a netbox works just fine, as does editing with a non-4k computer and 4k monitor.

Last edited by normhead; 10-15-2020 at 09:28 AM.
10-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you plan to upgrade in the future, why not just by a 27 4k inch monitor and use it for both?
This is my current line of thinking, but I reserve the right to change my mind rather often. Lol.

11-01-2020, 12:56 AM   #9

There are certain TV that can be used as monitors.
Most would not display the frame size correctly if you connect a PC to it.
Either way color accuracy of TV is usually not great.
11-01-2020, 01:50 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I tried this and don't recommend at all.

Thought if i take a smaller TV, but larger than an usual monitor will be like jackpot, but... First of all as previous said color correction sucks. I have a bad habit to go closer to screen, like magnification isn't enough and it's so bright. Tried to correct this, but never reach for a good compromise.