Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tethering a K-50 to Lightroom

Is there any way to tether a K-50 to Lightroom? I believe I have the latest firmware 1.10 i.e. did the download and upgrade. Is there a plug-in to make LR want to interact with a Pentax? Are there other options?

Last edited by old_manual_guy; 10-14-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add key ;word
10-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by old_manual_guy Quote
Is there any way to tether a K-50 to Lightroom? I believe I have the latest firmware 1.10 i.e. did the download and upgrade. Is there a plug-in to make LR want to interact with a Pentax? Are there other options?
Hi O_M_G, the flagship models, KP, K-1 and 645Z all tether for free to Lightroom with a downloadable Pentax plugin, but not entry level like your K-50.
10-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hi O_M_G, the flagship models, KP, K-1 and 645Z all tether for free to Lightroom with a downloadable Pentax plugin, but not entry level like your K-50.
Yes I see that well to do Pentaxians are admitted to the Canon/Nikon LR club but not more pedestrian types. I am now having trouble getting my latest PC to recognize my camera as a USB storage device.
10-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50 is not officially supported by the plugin. Currently, the support is limited to the K-1 / K-1 II, 645Z, and KP (and will likely cover newer bodies as well). My suspicion is that newer entry-level cameras will have wi-fi tethering only, while others will have both- but it could go either way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am now having trouble getting my latest PC to recognize my camera as a USB storage device.
That won't be related, OMG, that will be more a case of matching your USB settings (MTP/PTP) on your PC and camera, unless you're using a charging rather than data cable.

There are compelling reasons for different people to choose one USB setting over the other.
10-14-2020, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That won't be related, OMG, that will be more a case of matching your USB settings (MTP/PTP) on your PC and camera, unless you're using a charging rather than data cable.

There are compelling reasons for different people to choose one USB setting over the other.
And fortunately for me my Adobe subscription comes with Bridge and it took care of it for me when I rebooted and reconnected.
10-14-2020, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And fortunately for me my Adobe subscription comes with Bridge and it took care of it for me when I rebooted and reconnected.
Sometimes it's just amazing what a reboot will fix, it's really kind of stupid that it works that way, not stupid on your part, but stupid on the software's part.
10-15-2020, 03:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

As the Old-Manual-Guy wrote "his latest PC" maybe it was the first time that the K-50 was connected to the PC. Windows automatically installs a driver if the setting in camera is right, MSC that is, when a new device is connected to the PC. When the driver is installed it sometimes happens you have to reboot to get the driver working. I do not think that Adobe Bridge solved the problem (it is not a driver after all) but the reboot did. PTP is used for connections straight to a printer or other such device. MSC is always for a connection to a computer.
Hope this explains something.