Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2020, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #181

I have been enjoying affinity photo and also interested in luminar AI. Trying to stay away from subscription services

12-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #182
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sdhute Quote
I have been enjoying affinityphoto and also interested in luminar AI. Trying to stay away from subscription services
They were in talks a year or more ago about creating a proper DAM. I wonder if that's still on the menu? I'm trying to stay away from renting software too.
12-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still using the old Photoshop CS5 !
Does the job ... no need to upgrade for something else.
12-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Still using the old Photoshop CS5 !
Does the job ... no need to upgrade for something else.

As I am. But I bought Affinity, quite intuitive coming from PS.
Affinity makes jobs much quicker for my flow

Hang up and DRIVE!

12-24-2020, 10:16 PM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Subscription software is pretty much the future of most software. It evens out cash flow for users and producers, makes it easier to maintain software security via consistent updates and monetary stream to make it worth doing. It allows for lower complexity support models since the entire base is using a single version.

My non subscription DXO costs me about the same money as a creative cloud subscription. I don’t get extra software for mobile use, the cataloging is so so, and every year I end up having to spend all the money on upgrades at once rather than being spread out over the year.

Cons are the inverse. I can’t stop with the version I like and make do with that version if finances or whim dictate this. Upgrades are fairly frequent even if I don’t want them - I can only hold out so long.
12-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Subscription software is pretty much the future of most software. It evens out cash flow for users and producers, makes it easier to maintain software security via consistent updates and monetary stream to make it worth doing. It allows for lower complexity support models since the entire base is using a single version.

My non subscription DXO costs me about the same money as a creative cloud subscription. I don’t get extra software for mobile use, the cataloging is so so, and every year I end up having to spend all the money on upgrades at once rather than being spread out over the year.

Cons are the inverse. I can’t stop with the version I like and make do with that version if finances or whim dictate this. Upgrades are fairly frequent even if I don’t want them - I can only hold out so long.
From the business model perspective I would agree. This creates predictable cash flows and additional services can be easily included or extended based on software development process. The good for users is only for those that are professionals and are making out their living of this. For amateurs like myself - does not really makes sense... I rather make one purchase than be depended of monthly payments....

---------- Post added 2020-12-25 at 18:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Yep sure did, couldn’t be happier.
I found the workflow was so similar, I didn’t look back

Hang up and DRIVE!
Thanks! It seems that this will be my software to go starting from Jan 1st 2021.
12-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote

Thanks! It seems that this will be my software to go starting from Jan 1st 2021.

Affinity does have a ten day free trial of the whole package. I went that way and purchased 4 days later. I have the old NIK filters and they work quite well , I do a lot of monochrome conversion with silvereffex thru Affinity.

Hang up and DRIVE!

12-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
As I am. But I bought Affinity, quite intuitive coming from PS.
Affinity makes jobs much quicker for my flow

Hang up and DRIVE!
Please - describe your flow. I am kind a looking for someone with similar habits to understand where I can improve.
12-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #189
Pentaxian

I start in develop mode. Usually balance exposure, shadows... etc.
Affinity has the paint over /erase which I can use for multiple areas to correct anything in my DNG. I then will do a rough crop as needed.

At this point I go many different ways depending on the image and my moods, I do like the NIK filter pack and convert some to HDR, or I might start masking.

The HDR will sharpen so I will use a denoise layer now. I like to finish with a vignette as needed, then put a white or black border around it.

What I’ve learned is all your PS key strokes are the same, but selection and masking are so much easier for me...... so that saves me time on each image.

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just purchased the K70 and it came with PaintShop Pro 2021 Ultimate. Does anyone use this program? Is it worthy, or should I look at something else?

TIA!!
12-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
I just purchased the K70 and it came with PaintShop Pro 2021 Ultimate. Does anyone use this program? Is it worthy, or should I look at something else?

TIA!!
I've used it (if you can call it that) just because Corel gave it to me free. From what I remember it's fine for casual use so I wouldn't go buying anything else until you've at least seen how it serves you personally. It may be all you need.

It's not Photoshop but does have some of the same photo modification/enhancement controls. Give it a try.
12-31-2020, 01:11 PM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote

TIA!!
I have the 2020 version but decided to wait another year or two to upgrade - if you upgrade every year, the product becomes a lot like a subscription, not that there aren't always improvements. I'm still searching for a product I like for everything, and what I find is that I'm mostly limited by what features I'm able to figure out how to use. In that sense any of the programs I've tried (almost all of them by now), except Faststone, can probably do everything I'd want them to do - the limitation is me. I only use these programs for raw conversion and editing, not cataloging, so I can't comment on that capability. PSP is very good software and if you stick with it you'll probably be limited mostly by your own ability for a long time.
01-02-2021, 02:46 AM   #193

QuoteOriginally posted by NickTent Quote
Hello,

I was wondering what software everyone is using to post process your raw file photos?

Thank you,

Nick
I use Aperture and CameraBag Pro primarily but difficult Sharpening with a tricky App called Photosity and/or PhotoZoom Pro.
I have Affinity but keep on “losing touch” with it.
I have others but they’re not so good (I road test Plugs and Apps) remember “Caffeine”? That was clever!
01-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SnapperCom Quote
I use Aperture and CameraBag Pro primarily but difficult Sharpening with a tricky App called Photosity and/or PhotoZoom Pro.
I have Affinity but keep on “losing touch” with it.
I have others but they’re not so good (I road test Plugs and Apps) remember “Caffeine”? That was clever!
Photosity? That's one I've never heard of, nor does a search surface anything. Any link?

The BenVista Photozoom was OK as I recall, something I got on sale from Corel last year and thought I'd at least check it out. I didn't remember it was for sharpening though. Not that I need it as I've become comfortable with Topaz Sharpen and the output has been amazingly effective (handles multiple types of blur and misfocus), but I may have another look just so I'm tangentially familiar with it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-02-2021 at 06:47 AM.
01-04-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #195
Loyal Site Supporter

The following is an example of Topaz Denoise and Sharpen. Quick and dirty, essentially default settings. Both shots taken this morning including the daylight image of the moon.

Shot with a K-70, Sigma 70-200 and a Pentax 1.7TC.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo