Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2020, 04:28 AM   #61
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Pentaxians tend to be a cheap lot on the whole
That could describe me. But I think it is more we are not so swayed by glitzy elitist goods.

10-25-2020, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #62
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

folks much more likely to mount a 50 dollar yard sale lens
Well there is something special about squeezing a great shot out of an obsolete chunk of glass.
Part of it is the old glass is up with the game and part of it is having the skills necessary to achieve that shot.
10-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always have used Lr, and when I want to do some tweaking and modifications to an image I use Ps, I've been using the stand alone Lr6 for many years, but as of last week I purchases a loupdeck+ controller so I had to upgrade not only my OS, but Lr as well, now I have found and installed Lr classic 2020 cc (stand alone edition)and I love it, especially with my new loupdeck+
10-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I always have used Lr, and when I want to do some tweaking and modifications to an image I use Ps, I've been using the stand alone Lr6 for many years, but as of last week I purchases a loupdeck+ controller so I had to upgrade not only my OS, but Lr as well, now I have found and installed Lr classic 2020 cc (stand alone edition)and I love it, especially with my new loupdeck+
Where did you find a standalone copy of Lightroom Classic 2020 CC? You probably meant to say PhotoshopCAFE Lightroom Classic 2020.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-25-2020 at 11:15 AM.
11-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #65

I have been using Zoner for a few years. In layout and features they seem to follow the Lightroom or Photoshop and lately have been pushing out improvements so fast I cannot keep up. About half the price if the big names, gives a full month free to try. And the best thing, though have not had to ask for a while, was that I could write to them and get a detailed and clear answer.
11-04-2020, 04:09 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I've switched to Affinity (serif) for my design/editing needs, I do work in web/app design, photo edits (not a lot) and print (definitely not a lot) but I think it's a good alternative to Adobe. One drawback is I can't batch process RAW files so developing after shooting many photos is a pain. Or I just have to get very selective with what I develop.
11-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well currently I am using Luminar 4 for RAW processing, then Photoscape X Pro and Smart Photo Editor for applying any filters or enhancements but I have noticed a lot of members mentioning "darktable", so I have just downloaded a copy of it and look forward to trying it out.

11-04-2020, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekmadge Quote
I have been using Zoner for a few years. In layout and features they seem to follow the Lightroom or Photoshop and lately have been pushing out improvements so fast I cannot keep up. About half the price if the big names, gives a full month free to try. And the best thing, though have not had to ask for a while, was that I could write to them and get a detailed and clear answer.
+1 for Zoner ZPS its a really nice, inexpensive program with lots of features and I still keep it upgraded but don't use it at all now except for the asset management and Keywording. I got into DXO PhotoLab back when version one came out and now PL4 is out its AI based Deep Prime noise reduction is spectacular. Well worth the little bit of money I've spent.

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-04-2020 at 08:15 PM.
11-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Been using Lightroom 6.x for years now for all my raw processing! Then off to Photoshop for the rest.
11-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been an interesting thread. I expected to see Lightroom, On1, Darktable and Luminar. But there have been a lot of other options posted that I was not aware of.
11-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #71
Lev
Veteran Member

I'm using Lightroom but recently I've discovered that this software blurs my images in full screen mode. Managed to dig into their forums but haven't found anything yet....
11-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I use a past edition of LR. More than capable enough for my needs and no subscription.
11-06-2020, 01:55 AM   #73
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Pentaxians tend to be a cheap lot on the whole -- folks much more likely to mount a 50 dollar yard sale lens on their 1500 dollar camera than a * series lens
Not wanting to derail the thread, but I don't think this is specific to Pentaxians especially, and I don't think it's driven entirely by being cheap, so to speak. We mount 50 dollar yard sale lenses on our 1500 dollar cameras because we can... because there's so much fully compatible K and M42 mount glass available, a surprising amount of which is good and/or appeals to our individual tastes. If it's out there for the taking, why wouldn't we buy and use it... right?

For those same reasons, Sony mirrorless users - for example - are just as likely (arguably more so) to shoot yard sale lenses on their expensive cameras, and they have an even wider range to choose from (virtually any lens on any mount).

I'm not denying we Pentaxians are a canny bunch, but I think it applies to any brand where compatible or easily-adaptated older glass is widely available...
11-06-2020, 02:43 AM   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harrity77 Quote
Just got into darktable and have also used rawtherapee and been pleased with the results. Both are free which is nice.
Also started with darktable, seems fine, but after the easyness of Lightroom, still having some struggles (mainly, because sometimes some tools have a weird initial logic). Any experience using pixel shift files in it?
11-06-2020, 03:22 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not wanting to derail the thread, but I don't think this is specific to Pentaxians especially, and I don't think it's driven entirely by being cheap, so to speak. We mount 50 dollar yard sale lenses on our 1500 dollar cameras because we can... because there's so much fully compatible K and M42 mount glass available, a surprising amount of which is good and/or appeals to our individual tastes. If it's out there for the taking, why wouldn't we buy and use it... right?

For those same reasons, Sony mirrorless users - for example - are just as likely (arguably more so) to shoot yard sale lenses on their expensive cameras, and they have an even wider range to choose from (virtually any lens on any mount).

I'm not denying we Pentaxians are a canny bunch, but I think it applies to any brand where compatible or easily-adaptated older glass is widely available...
Maybe thrifty would have been a better word.

Some of my thoughts grow out of the complaining that seems to come out when we find out the pricing of any new camera or lens.