Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #1

What software do you use to post process your photos?

Hello,

I was wondering what software everyone is using to post process your raw file photos?

Thank you,

Nick

10-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #2

Just got into darktable and have also used rawtherapee and been pleased with the results. Both are free which is nice.
10-20-2020, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2020
The post processing may offer a little less possibilities than some other packages, but it offers more than I will ever need plus I like the workflow.
The strongest point for me is the way the database allows very fast and flexible searching and filtering to identify and select the shots I am looking for.
10-20-2020, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Nick,

I use RawTherapee to develop my RAW files, and Affinity Photo to do the final processing on TIFF files exported from RT. I also use Photo Ninja occasionally.

- Craig

10-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use Lightroom for RAW development* with pass-through to Affinity Photo** for raster editing. I do not use Affinity Photo's RAW processor.

Steve

* along with asset management, printing, and publication tasks

** Using Lightroom's "Edit in" feature
10-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an aging Lightroom 6.7 - the last non-subscription one - and that's all I need for 99% of images - bur that's parttly because I'm an old school get it right in camera type
10-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Lightroom Classic. I use not just for RAW processing but also for classifying and cataloguing the photos. I also use an ancient PaintShop Pro for some retouching and post processing but I'll be switching over to Photoshop since that came 'for free' with Lightroom once they started charging monthly subscription.

10-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm still using Aperture, and will until I find something equal or better.
10-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I use darktable. It's free, open source with a good community, it works on Linux, windows, and I believe mac, and it's actually quite good for local editing. What it lacks are smarter cloning/filling tools, and the dependent library for camera and lens support isn't always up to date, but these don't bother me in practice since they're primarily needed for automatic corrections. I've been using it for at least three years and it's been constantly improving.
10-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photoshop CS4 with ACR. Permanent license, so no ongoing subscription to read K7 raw files (.dng).
10-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom Classic for RAW and 90% of editing. Off to Photoshop and NIK collection for the last 10%.

If all you need is RAW processing then there are a lot of options and you will get those listed as everyone posts their favorite. For most of us I don't think there is any significant difference between them as far as RAW processing is concerned. Each has quirks that some love and others hate but they all work.

What sets things apart is the other factors that vary person to person. For me I use the catalog, printing, mapping and search functions of Lightroom extensively and that is a priority for me. Others will have other priorities. Take a step back and think about what all of your editing / storing / indexing / cataloging / printing / publishing tasks are. Then figure out what works best for you.
10-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DXO PhotoLab 3.3.0 Elite along with DXO FilmPack 5 Elite and DXO ViewPoint 3, absolutely the best and easiest noise reduction on the planet! Not really all that complicated for DNG development. I don't need a bunch of asset management as I have my own simple system to manage my digital files.
10-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Darktable works for me. I have tried other open source solutions but none of them quite hit the sweet spot.

As for commercial software, no thanks. I would rather buy more lenses. My LBA will not be denied.
10-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Darktable is the best. It can do almost anything commercial software can do, and sometimes more. It doesn't do digital assets management, which is a minus for some. A new version is coming out soon, probably around Christmas as usual.
10-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop, all CC versions.