Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Currently, I primarily use DxO PhotoLab (have ver 4 now) with Affinity Photo and an old (Google Free Version) of NiK tools. However, in the past few years 99.9% I'm on DxO with occasional use of SilverEfex (out of Nik). DxO gets me to a finished product I'm happy with quicker than anything I've ever used (I rarely spend more than 20-seconds on an image). I mostly prefer it for its lens profiles; I rarely have to make any edits for lens corrections. Admittedly, I've not tried anything else in about 5 years for processing my RAW files.

I used to use Lightroom for processing my raw files, and it had its advantages. But, I never used it for its DAM features, and processing was not as quick as I'd like (despite it being arguably more user friendly). I think if I ever have to change from DxO, I'll probably reevaluate DarkTable and RawTherapee as both have come along nicely since I last looked, feature-wise. I don't look too hard though because I had found that last time I switched over that I could mostly get the same results from any software; it was the GUI and process I was paying for.
Did you use Dxo photolab 3? If so what's your thinking on the worth of the upgrade?

11-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #107
Pentaxian

I think you guys are bending me towards DxO.
11-17-2020, 11:37 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think you guys are bending me towards DxO.
I find it very easy to use and I like it. But my use isn't guru level.
11-18-2020, 12:05 AM   #109
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have Capture One 12 as my main editor.

Also have Zoner Photo Studio 18, mainly use it as viewer and photo manager, but there are few things that are easier to do with it than C1, so occasionally give the last touch to the shot with it.

Also have Pixelshift2DNG to pack my PS shots to format that C1 can handle. MS ICE to stitching and Helicon Focus for C1 to focus stacking.

11-18-2020, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you use Dxo photolab 3? If so what's your thinking on the worth of the upgrade?
I did use Photolab 3. I've not had time to fully test 4 yet. I have a fairly high end PC, and I don't notice the deepPrime noise setting being any different from the previous Prime. I've not had a chance to see how much of an improvement that really is (in real terms for my images). I was always happy with the Prime settings in prior versions; I've been using DxO since their old version 8 or 9.

I do like the updated work space and flow. The history is nice (that was one of the few things I missed from LR). Copying settings is better than it had been.
The library features lack quite a bit, but I don't really use those, so it doesn't bother me. I had purchased their last versions of their ViewPoint and FilmPack software in the day, and they still work and are quite good.

You might consider a trial if you are already using 3 and see?

I primarily purchased the software because of the upgrade special (40% off at the time) and to help them out. I don't like subscription services, but I don't mind paying each year to support this company since I can stop at any time, plus I want to see them keep moving forward. I'm hopeful that they'll fully integrate Nik into PL at some point also. I still only have the older Google version of the Nik, which I can use as a plug-in, which seems consistent with the newer versions. They've not improved those enough to make me interested.
11-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did use Photolab 3. I've not had time to fully test 4 yet. I have a fairly high end PC, and I don't notice the deepPrime noise setting being any different from the previous Prime. I've not had a chance to see how much of an improvement that really is (in real terms for my images). I was always happy with the Prime settings in prior versions; I've been using DxO since their old version 8 or 9.

I do like the updated work space and flow. The history is nice (that was one of the few things I missed from LR). Copying settings is better than it had been.
The library features lack quite a bit, but I don't really use those, so it doesn't bother me. I had purchased their last versions of their ViewPoint and FilmPack software in the day, and they still work and are quite good.

You might consider a trial if you are already using 3 and see?

I primarily purchased the software because of the upgrade special (40% off at the time) and to help them out. I don't like subscription services, but I don't mind paying each year to support this company since I can stop at any time, plus I want to see them keep moving forward. I'm hopeful that they'll fully integrate Nik into PL at some point also. I still only have the older Google version of the Nik, which I can use as a plug-in, which seems consistent with the newer versions. They've not improved those enough to make me interested.
Thank you. We have similar history, but the deep prime was the main feature called out in a review and I feel that will be hard on my laptop. The workflow changes sound useful and I feel the same way and I have the same tools from them all elite level.

I'll watch for another discount...
11-18-2020, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

Thank you. We have similar history, but the deep prime was the main feature called out in a review and I feel that will be hard on my laptop. The workflow changes sound useful and I feel the same way and I have the same tools from them all elite level.

I'll watch for another discount...
Looks like they have 30% right now. I feel like mine was 40%, but I bet they'll have more. I paid $69.99 (US). Yeah, I think the DeepPrime is about the same as Prime in PL 3 in terms of resources, but I could be off. I had built a new computer when PL 3 came out, and the difference was night and day in terms of Prime. I remember I would just run through a round of photos and then export before going to bed.

I also note that as primarily a landscape photographer (and outdoor photographer of my little 5 year old who runs a lot), I generally take a lot of lower ISO photos (100-800). In many of those cases, I rarely even bother with Prime noise reduction. I definitely want to play with my camera's high ISO now, however, to see how it works out. I'll also go back to my old K10d and see what I can get out of those old RAW files with the deep Prime.

11-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like they have 30% right now. I feel like mine was 40%, but I bet they'll have more. I paid $69.99 (US). Yeah, I think the DeepPrime is about the same as Prime in PL 3 in terms of resources, but I could be off. I had built a new computer when PL 3 came out, and the difference was night and day in terms of Prime. I remember I would just run through a round of photos and then export before going to bed.

I also note that as primarily a landscape photographer (and outdoor photographer of my little 5 year old who runs a lot), I generally take a lot of lower ISO photos (100-800). In many of those cases, I rarely even bother with Prime noise reduction. I definitely want to play with my camera's high ISO now, however, to see how it works out. I'll also go back to my old K10d and see what I can get out of those old RAW files with the deep Prime.
Deep prime uses your gpu and if you don't have much of one of will say the cpu from what I read.
11-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Deep prime uses your gpu and if you don't have much of one of will say the cpu from what I read.
Yes. I honestly didn't look that closely. I've built my last 4 computers, and each time, I always use a GPU that is a couple of generations behind the main gaming ones out there. I do splurge on CPUs, however, mostly to support hyperthreading and take advantage that few photo software really try to take advantage of GPUs. Right now, PL 3 and PL 4 will export an image in less than 5 seconds, and at that point I'm not fretting much.

With a laptop, I could see being hesitant. It's hard to upgrade a laptop. A trial may be the only way to know how much of an impact you might have or knowing if you are ready to update a computer. I probably wouldn't do it just for the sake of a program, but when a computer is ready to be upgraded, at least you have something to target spec-wise.

At the same time, I wonder just how much of a GPU DxO is expecting. It certainly can't be expecting top of the line and most laptops will have a decent GPU to at least support a casual gamer.
11-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the same time, I wonder just how much of a GPU DxO is expecting. It certainly can't be expecting top of the line and most laptops will have a decent GPU to at least support a casual gamer.
DeepPRIME* hardware acceleration ? Customer Support

My laptop is very new and has an AMD Radeon 5 with Radeon Vega graphics. I needed to load the trial.
11-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #116
Veteran Member

DeepPRIME* hardware acceleration ? Customer Support

My laptop is very new and has an AMD Radeon 5 with Radeon Vega graphics. I needed to load the trial.
So for perspective, my GPU is the minimum Rx 580. Their quote on export time (2Mpx/second) seems to be conservative. With images from my K3, I can output an image in 4 seconds total, which is much faster. I'm sure my CPU and RAM pick up some of the difference, and of course photos can vary; I've not thrown anything at a super high ISO, yet, which will probably be where I notice the difference. But your link reminded me of what stuck out to me before I had bought the upgrade; they note they used an Rx 550 for optimization, which speaks to extensive testing below the stated minimum. Makes me wonder why they didn't post the minimum as the 550. They also made me confident that the software would work, even without a good GPU (albeit slower).
11-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. Ok auto deep prime export of an m43 3200 iso indoor scene (18.8mb 16mp file) to disk was painfully slow. 1 min + of intense cpu use. I enabled my gpu which was "partially supported" and tried again. Gpu peaked at 50-60% and the export was complete in very short time. I'll try more controlled tests. The GPU made a huge difference.

If you want to see how your gpu vs cpu works switch from auto in the preferences/performance menu.ick each one in turn.
11-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tested again with gpu. 33 seconds or so with 18mb file.
11-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Geez, the recommended GPU is certainly higher than what I have: a 750 Ti. I'll have to see what it acts like (and yes I know I need a new GPU).
11-28-2020, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #120

Gotta admit that PDCU is slow, not very effective, and buggy like hell.

But it is the only software can give you true Pentax color, e.g. Positive Film, Vibrant, Portrait, Bright etc.

It is also the only one can use auto correction data of your lens, which is unique of every lens.

That's why I'm still working with PDCU.