Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Although I like the interface changes made to PhotoLab 4 and the DeepPRIME feature, I think I'll pass on it until I get a new desktop or rebuild this one again. I won't even try it on my older hand-me-down Surface 3 tablet. I am writing this as a bit of a warning to other users in this forum. PhotoLab is a great product, but the latest version appears to need more-than-usual processing power to get much use of the deepPRIME feature.
Interesting to hear your experience. Processing on my old laptop (i7-5500 dual-core with 8gb of RAM) has always been an exercise in frustration, so I stick with my 2017 desktop computer (i7-7700 with 16gb of RAM), which is quite adequate. Seems even with 16gb of RAM the processing is testing the limits of a 2nd gen Intel CPU.

It seems likely that all the image-processing programs will demand more hardware resources over the next few years, especially if they introduce more AI-driven processing. That's not to mention the demands placed by large file sizes with stacking, panos, etc.

10-24-2020, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Or at least, a newer more powerful CPU than the one I have now; even though it has had no issues up to now.
Your CPU is not your problem Deep Prime uses the GPU for its processing and will over tax the CPU if you have no GPU, DXO has specific recommendations for the GPU as probably most editing software does that has AI functions. Here is the DXO support info on Deep Prime requirements: DeepPRIME* hardware acceleration ? Customer Support
11-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #18

I had this thing with dxo 3. While I edited how I wanted, the outcome jpeg was way oversaturated. Dont know if this is fixed in dxo4. Or maybe it was my mistake. Didnt bother enough and returned to rawtherapee
11-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by le0n Quote
I had this thing with dxo 3. While I edited how I wanted, the outcome jpeg was way oversaturated. Dont know if this is fixed in dxo4. Or maybe it was my mistake. Didnt bother enough and returned to rawtherapee
What ever turns you on! So you didn't try to correct the export, you just gave up??

11-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #20

I'm interested to hear and see results from this edition - I have PL3 and I don't like updating software that often, I don't really budget upgrading desktop software into my photo hobby. However if it can take DXO closer to being a single solution that can pull the best IQ out of a file, which I have never felt like it's been able to do yet, then I'd be pretty happy. I like it in theory.
11-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I'm interested to hear and see results from this edition - I have PL3 and I don't like updating software that often, I don't really budget upgrading desktop software into my photo hobby. However if it can take DXO closer to being a single solution that can pull the best IQ out of a file, which I have never felt like it's been able to do yet, then I'd be pretty happy. I like it in theory.
What are the features you feel you are missing in PL3 that you think might be provided in PL4? The changes seem pretty incremental to me - unlike, for example, the introduction of local adjustments.
11-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Interesting to hear your experience. Processing on my old laptop (i7-5500 dual-core with 8gb of RAM) has always been an exercise in frustration, so I stick with my 2017 desktop computer (i7-7700 with 16gb of RAM), which is quite adequate. Seems even with 16gb of RAM the processing is testing the limits of a 2nd gen Intel CPU.

It seems likely that all the image-processing programs will demand more hardware resources over the next few years, especially if they introduce more AI-driven processing. That's not to mention the demands placed by large file sizes with stacking, panos, etc.
Yup, and most annoyingly, things need not only more RAM, but more VRAM as well, and it seems the hardware/software no longer knows how to share, so I feel like you're kinda paying extra for the VRAM. Often 4GB VRAM now "required" for graphics programs to run smoothly.

---------- Post added 11-08-20 at 05:55 PM ----------

What are the features you feel you are missing in PL3 that you think might be provided in PL4? The changes seem pretty incremental to me - unlike, for example, the introduction of local adjustments.
I think the big item is really DeepPRIME. If you don't shoot high ISO, or you have a K-70/KP/K-1 II that do a lot of heavy lifting in the Accelerator, then maybe that's not interesting, but for those with older raw images from small sensors, DeepPRIME is an opportunity to re-develop them in much higher quality.

Since we're talking about positives and negatives of AI processing: Over on another forum, I really drove the debate over whether DeepPRIME was leaving hallucination-like artefacts, and so far, I've really not been able to fish anything from the submitted samples that gives any hint of hallucination or hallucination-like effects occurring. It seems that as far as machine learning goes, this algorithm really is pretty straight-laced and does only the job it was trained for.
11-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Take a look at this thread I posted the other day about PL4 DeepDenoise I think the the upgrade is well worth the money spent.
Comparison of Different DXO Noise Reduction technology - PentaxForums.com

11-08-2020, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Take a look at this thread I posted the other day about PL4 DeepDenoise I think the the upgrade is well worth the money spent.
Comparison of Different DXO Noise Reduction technology - PentaxForums.com
I've been trying out the Deep Prime feature today on some high-ISO K-30 images and I am convinced that it is a huge improvement. Contrary to what I implied above, I agree with Larry that the upgrade is worthwhile just for this feature alone IMO.
11-09-2020, 04:35 AM   #25

What ever turns you on! So you didn't try to correct the export, you just gave up??
haha no it did not turn me on! I tried again with less saturation in export, but again did not come out as i was looking at it in the developing process. Im not an expert to make any more adjustments for exporting, so then I gave up and returned to the safety of rawtherapee..
11-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by le0n Quote
haha no it did not turn me on! I tried again with less saturation in export, but again did not come out as i was looking at it in the developing process. Im not an expert to make any more adjustments for exporting, so then I gave up and returned to the safety of rawtherapee..
Well then you need to stick with what you like an produces the images you like.
11-09-2020, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #27

It's not so much features that I feel are missing, it's just fine detail and NR quality always seem lacking to me when I process in PL3 compared to LR6.

---------- Post added 11-09-20 at 10:03 AM ----------

I've been trying out the Deep Prime feature today on some high-ISO K-30 images and I am convinced that it is a huge improvement. Contrary to what I implied above, I agree with Larry that the upgrade is worthwhile just for this feature alone IMO.
I will just have to download the trial and see how this compares. If it can salvage better fine detail, it could be really good.
11-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's not so much features that I feel are missing, it's just fine detail and NR quality always seem lacking to me when I process in PL3 compared to LR6.

---------- Post added 11-09-20 at 10:03 AM ----------

I will just have to download the trial and see how this compares. If it can salvage better fine detail, it could be really good.
What do you have to lose?? They have a full featured free 30 day trial of PL4 Elite. Evaluate it maybe it will work well for you, maybe you like the complication of LR better.
11-09-2020, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Since we're talking about positives and negatives of AI processing: Over on another forum, I really drove the debate over whether DeepPRIME was leaving hallucination-like artefacts, and so far, I've really not been able to fish anything from the submitted samples that gives any hint of hallucination or hallucination-like effects occurring. It seems that as far as machine learning goes, this algorithm really is pretty straight-laced and does only the job it was trained for.
The Hallucinations are happening to the folks who claim they are seeing them.
11-10-2020, 04:26 AM   #30
Pentaxian

The Hallucinations are happening to the folks who claim they are seeing them.
This needs a better article written about it, but here's a start:
Face hallucination - Wikipedia