Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am still on DXO Photolab 2 and was tempted to upgrade as well. They usually have a sale a couple times a year. The Deep Prime noise reduction was also the most interesting feature to me, but I know they were advertising more AI enhancement features as well that seemed curious, even if not essential. I am usually pretty restrained in my editing. I use a decommissioned CAD/BIM workstation for editing and it has been performing well- just a bit of lag as startup even with a SS drive.

12-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DXO has an update that is going to be handy for PLM shooters, which I just downloaded! They finally added a lens module for the 55-300PLM.
12-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
DXO has an update that is going to be handy for PLM shooters, which I just downloaded! They finally added a lens module for the 55-300PLM.
I had been wondering when this would happen. Is it live for DXO4 only? I'm on 2 still.
12-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #34
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Woo hoo!

I notice that it is supported in the K-1 and K-1ii as well. And non-KAF4 bodies like the K-30, K-01 and K-5 (I know there are hacks for the K-30, but you know what I mean).
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
I had been wondering when this would happen. Is it live for DXO4 only? I'm on 2 still.
The list on the DxO web site (Supported Cameras - DxO) says that the PLM lens is supported from PhotoLab 3.0.0. Could you check in your version and see? (Go to "Download additional DxO modules" on the DxO Optics Modules menu, or whatever it was called in PL2.)

12-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Download the module and see if it works for PL2 and if it doesn't you can always upgrade to the latest version for a very reasonable price.
12-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I upgraded from V2 a few days ago, and so far it's OK. DeepPRIME seems no slower than PRIME.
12-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Woo hoo!

I notice that it is supported in the K-1 and K-1ii as well. And non-KAF4 bodies like the K-30, K-01 and K-5 (I know there are hacks for the K-30, but you know what I mean).

The list on the DxO web site (Supported Cameras - DxO) says that the PLM lens is supported from PhotoLab 3.0.0. Could you check in your version and see? (Go to "Download additional DxO modules" on the DxO Optics Modules menu, or whatever it was called in PL2.)
DXO supporting the 55-300PLM is definitely something that makes me significantly more interested in upgrading my software and getting the PLM.

12-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I upgraded from V2 a few days ago, and so far it's OK. DeepPRIME seems no slower than PRIME.
No slower but one heck of a lot better!!
12-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good to know. I should have taken the black friday upgrade for $59. They do a lot of sales though so I'll wait for the next one.
12-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #40
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

good to know. I should have taken the black friday upgrade for $59. They do a lot of sales though so I'll wait for the next one.
No need to wait. They are doing another sale - PL4 upgrade is $US49.99. [Edit: That's the price mentioned on the website, but in an email this morning they said $US69.99. I suspect that $49.99 might be the price for the Essentials edition. When I upgraded from PL3 Elite to PL4 Elite in October It cost me $US69.99 - that was said to be a discount from the regular price of $US89 for that upgrade.]
Download the module and see if it works for PL2
The DxO site lists the 55-300 PLM as supported from PhotoLab 3.0.0. I tried installing the modules for the 55-300 PLM on PL2 on my old laptop, by copying those downloaded in PL4 into the modules folder for PL2. They then showed as installed modules in PL2, but they don't work - PLM images are still shown as taken with an unsupported lens.

Last edited by Des; 12-10-2020 at 05:07 PM.
12-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
No need to wait. They are doing another sale - PL4 upgrade is $US49.99.

BTW the DxO site lists the 55-300 PLM as supported from PhotoLab 3.0.0. I tried installing the modules for the 55-300 PLM on PL2 on my old laptop, by copying those downloaded in PL4 into the modules folder for PL2. They show as installed modules in PL2, but they don't work - PLM images are still shown as taken with an unsupported lens.
I am not surprised by that. In any case though it is great that they are supporting the PLM.
01-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tested an image shot at ISO 1600 (K-70) and found Deep PRIME to be about twice as fast as PRIME. DP also renders subtle detail better. My CPU is an Intel i7-4790K @ 4.8 Ghz, and my GPU is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti.

Interestingly, I find PRIME performance in PhotoLab 4 to be a bit slower than in PhotoLab 2... not that it matters to me at this point, since I'm using DP.
01-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I tested an image shot at ISO 1600 (K-70) and found Deep PRIME to be about twice as fast as PRIME. DP also renders subtle detail better. My CPU is an Intel i7-4790K @ 4.8 Ghz, and my GPU is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti.

Interestingly, I find PRIME performance in PhotoLab 4 to be a bit slower than in PhotoLab 2... not that it matters to me at this point, since I'm using DP.
Yes PL4 Prime is slower that PL2 Prime for some reason. My understanding of Prime vs DeepPrime is that Prime only uses the CPU for image rendering, however, DeepPrime uses the full capability of your graphics processor even uses some GPUs that supposedly aren't fully supported. I'm very happy with what DXO is doing with PhotoLab. I've even tried pushing DeepPrime luminance all the way to the right and the detail is still there so they have a winner with PL4.1.1.
01-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I've been using the latest version of DXO in combination with Luminar. Luminar hits pretty close in one shot with the highlights and shadows, then I'll export it over and finish up in DXO. Seems to work well for me and a pretty fast workflow. DeepPrime is the best denoise program I've used so far. Luminar works IMO very well to get a shot 90% there in one click. I don't use the weird sky replacement stuff in there but the AI adjust works pretty well.
01-05-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I've been using the latest version of DXO in combination with Luminar. Luminar hits pretty close in one shot with the highlights and shadows, then I'll export it over and finish up in DXO. Seems to work well for me and a pretty fast workflow. DeepPrime is the best denoise program I've used so far. Luminar works IMO very well to get a shot 90% there in one click. I don't use the weird sky replacement stuff in there but the AI adjust works pretty well.
DeepPrime is definitely the best I have ever used and the effort to get a basically noiseless image is minimal.