Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #46

DXO and DA lens on K1 in full frame

What I really like about DXO is that is has profiles for DA lenses like the DA*55mm on the K1. I can use this lens in full-frame and DXO does an nice job taking care of the little distortion, vignetting, and purple fringing that occurs using this in full-frame. The autocorrection features in the camera when using this lens in full-frame are not available.

01-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
I've been using Photolab since November. Overall very pleased with it. I switched from Darktable, although I still use the 2.6 version of that software on occasion.

DXO does a great job of one-click denoise without me having to fiddle with the levers. In general I can get an image I'm happy with out quickly.

One thing it has taught me is that I actually like a little vignetting, as I frequently find myself turning that autocorrect off.
01-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
I've been using Photolab since November. Overall very pleased with it. I switched from Darktable, although I still use the 2.6 version of that software on occasion.

DXO does a great job of one-click denoise without me having to fiddle with the levers. In general I can get an image I'm happy with out quickly.

One thing it has taught me is that I actually like a little vignetting, as I frequently find myself turning that autocorrect off.
Glad you got onboard!! PhotoLab 4 has a lot to offer.
01-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I like the combo of Luminar 4 (I have AI as well, but it seems a simplified version) and DXO4. DXO has the best noise reduction I've found at the moment and Clearview plus works well. It's best for when you want to take your time and tweak everything just right. Luminar hits 90-95% of what I want in general in one click and is just a super fast way to get edits for sharing with friends/web etc. DXO I prefer to get things just right.

Luminar is sort of like the magic wand edit feature on iPhone, but moreso as the iPhone already did most of the processing when you took the shot.

01-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
Definitely find myself doing that as well for portraits or other pictures where I want to shift that little bit more attention to the subject in the center of an image...
04-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if this is the exact place to ask but - What are the minimum hardware requirements for Photolab 4?
04-26-2021, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #52
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
I don't know if this is the exact place to ask but - What are the minimum hardware requirements for Photolab 4?
"For best results with DxO PhotoLab, your computer must meet the following minimum specifications:

Microsoft® Windows®
  • Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™ recommended)
  • 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
  • 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft®), Windows® 10 version 2004 or later recommended
  • DirectX® 10-capable system
  • OpenCL™ 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL™ acceleration
  • NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME
Apple® macOS®
  • Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better recommended
  • 4 GB or more of available hard disk space
  • macOS 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina) or 11.0 (Big Sur)
  • Graphics card with 512 MB of video memory
  • AMD Radeon™ R9 M290X or better recommended for DeepPRIME"
See DxO PhotoLab 4 System Requirements ? Customer Support

04-30-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #53

DXO needs for a new camera or a new lens a new module for the software (measurements based), to make full advantage of the software. DXO does that based on user requests.

Would you mind, requesting the K-3 III to be added, even if you don't use the software?

The corresponding Link: Suggest Module - DxO

Thank You
04-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
DXO needs for a new camera or a new lens a new module for the software (measurements based), to make full advantage of the software. DXO does that based on user requests.

Would you mind, requesting the K-3 III to be added, even if you don't use the software?

The corresponding Link: Suggest Module - DxO

Thank You
Done.
04-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #55

Danke
04-30-2021, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #56
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
"For best results with DxO PhotoLab, your computer must meet the following minimum specifications:

Microsoft® Windows®
  • Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™ recommended)
  • 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft®), Windows® 10 version 2004 or later recommended
  • DirectX® 10-capable system
  • OpenCL™ 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL™ acceleration
  • NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME
Apple® macOS®
  • Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better recommended
  • 4 GB or more of available hard disk space
  • macOS 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina) or 11.0 (Big Sur)
  • Graphics card with 512 MB of video memory
  • AMD Radeon™ R9 M290X or better recommended for DeepPRIME"
See DxO PhotoLab 4 System Requirements ? Customer Support
Keep in mind these are minimum. And they really mean it. If you try to use the DeepPrime NR on the minimum specs they posted, you will be waiting minutes for each image rendered. You'll want the recommended cpu and gpu to really use all the features functionally.
04-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #57
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Would you mind, requesting the K-3 III to be added
Done.
DXO does that based on user requests.
They do monitor the camera market too. (Overlooking the DA 55-300 PLM was an aberration.) The value of user requests, I think, is to help prioritize their development of modules.

I'd suggest also posting a new thread on the DxO Forum: https://feedback.dxo.com/c/dxo-photolab/feature-requests/60 along the lines of Marc's polite and respectful thread about the PLM (https://feedback.dxo.com/t/still-no-lens-module-for-hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f4...eally/14280/13), which really helped. It's probably best if this comes from someone who has the K-3iii or has ordered one, although I would be happy to add my voice to the choir.

A request to Ricoh Europe to provide a camera for testing might help too.

Last edited by Des; 04-30-2021 at 02:34 PM.
04-30-2021, 08:35 PM   #58
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Keep in mind these are minimum. And they really mean it. If you try to use the DeepPrime NR on the minimum specs they posted, you will be waiting minutes for each image rendered. You'll want the recommended cpu and gpu to really use all the features functionally.
Agreed. DeepPrime NR was overheating my CPU because my 9 year old video card wasn't adequate (it had no problems with regular Prime NR). Replaced the video card; and then replaced the power supply because, although my power supply was big enough, it didn't have the connectors for the new video card.
05-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote

Although I like the interface changes made to PhotoLab 4 and the DeepPRIME feature, I think I'll pass on it until I get a new desktop or rebuild this one again. I won't even try it on my older hand-me-down Surface 3 tablet. I am writing this as a bit of a warning to other users in this forum. PhotoLab is a great product, but the latest version appears to need more-than-usual processing power to get much use of the deepPRIME feature.
I looked into that software, and might eventually buy it, but I will need to build a new computer first, and that won't happen until at least fall. I was planning on using a six-core processor with it and a hefty CPU cooler. Do you have any recommendations for an appropriate video card for photography work?

BTW, I appreciate the warning.

Thanks
05-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #60

Curious as to what features/capabilities that made you choose this compared to other alternatives?