Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2020, 08:29 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DXO PhotoLab 4

Hi Folks,

DXO has just released PhotoLab 4 with some nice new features. They have special launch pricing of 30% off until November 19th for either upgrade or initial purchase for a perpetual license . Link: DxO PhotoLab 4 - Advanced Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC

10-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Other than a slightly improved noise reduction all the other improvements look to be under the hood and within the interface. If you don't have a copy at all it may be worth the price for just the Deep Prime noise feature. If you already have PhotoLab 3 it looks pretty skippable to me.
10-21-2020, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Other than a slightly improved noise reduction all the other improvements look to be under the hood and within the interface. If you don't have a copy at all it may be worth the price for just the Deep Prime noise feature. If you already have PhotoLab 3 it looks pretty skippable to me.
Who doesn't want better noise reduction? I'll be thinking about the upgrade option until the last day. If I've made up my mind until then if the improvements would be worth 70€ to me, I'll take it then rather than later.
10-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
There are a couple of features that I liked so I went ahead and upgraded. They usually have version updates during the year that I have found helpful and if you don't have the current version you won't be able to receive the updates but you will be able to continue using the the older version. $69 seems a nice price for the upgrade.

10-21-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Who doesn't want better noise reduction? I'll be thinking about the upgrade option until the last day. If I've made up my mind until then if the improvements would be worth 70€ to me, I'll take it then rather than later.
I open the image in either DxO or LR for the initial RAW processing ( I do like DxO for that more than LR but the cataloging not so much), then if needed process for noise in Topaz DeNoise AI. I like Prime a lot, and that's ALL I used for a few years, but IMO the combo w/Topaz I've been using gives me better results on my own images.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-21-2020 at 09:49 AM.
10-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it load any faster?

I am unimpressed with how long it takes PhotoLab and /or DX10 to load on my PC. This is a fast windows 10 machine, with a VERY fast drive for C: (MVME protocol).
10-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Does it load any faster?

I am unimpressed with how long it takes PhotoLab and /or DX10 to load on my PC. This is a fast windows 10 machine, with a VERY fast drive for C: (MVME protocol).
PhotoLab 4 loads just fine on my Dell Precision M4800 laptop. Having said that, I'm not looking for super quick loading but excellent features and raw processing, which PhotoLab 4 definitely has. It does need a fairly quick separate GPU to process the Prime Deep Denoise AI.

Download the free trial of PhotoLab 4 Elite and check it out for the trial period and you decide.

10-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just want to add this tidbit. I purchased a license for PL 3 last year during their launch sale. A few weeks later they had a Black Friday sale that was an even better deal. I know it's rolling the dice but just thought I'd share that info.

I've been very happy with PL3 over the past year..
10-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Just want to add this tidbit. I purchased a license for PL 3 last year during their launch sale. A few weeks later they had a Black Friday sale that was an even better deal. I know it's rolling the dice but just thought I'd share that info.

I've been very happy with PL3 over the past year..
Yeah, that's a risk you take by upgrading early but I went ahead and forked over the money. I purchased a license every year since PhotoLab has been published and haven't regretted it a bit. BTW, how do you like PhotoLab?

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-22-2020 at 01:03 PM.
10-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've upgraded too. First thing I noticed is that the layout of tools in the Customize screen is better. I am trying out "Standard" and "Advanced" in the Workspace menu.

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Does it load any faster?
Not as far as I can tell Dave. Processing time seems the same too.
10-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Not as far as I can tell Dave. Processing time seems the same too.
Thanks for the update.
10-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've found the program loads about like PL3 but the DeepPrime prime denoise is a bit faster than Prime Denoise probably because it fully uses the GPU where as Prime uses standard memory. I'm liking the Advanced Workspace option more and more as it is less cluttered to me. Des have you used the Advanced History feature and what do you think about it?
10-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Des have you used the Advanced History feature and what do you think about it?
No, not yet Larry. Looks like a good idea though.
10-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
BTW, how do you like PhotoLab?
I've been liking it quite a bit. I've found it much easier/faster in general to get the end product I want out of Photolab than other raw editors I've used. In particular I've been really pleased with Prime and the ability to do local edits in a parametric editor. Especially the control points.
10-23-2020, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #15
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using DxO products for years. Yesterday I installed the trial version of PhotoLab 4 to try it out before upgrading. I am working on a desktop which I rebuilt in 2012 with an Intel i5-2380P CPU. Since then I have been using Lightroom, Photoshop, DxO Optics Pro and PhotoLab, and the Nik collection without any issues. Initially it had 8 GB which I increased to 16 GB a few years ago when Adobe improved Lightroom's performance in a new release.

Last night I processed a photo in PhotoLab 4 with DeepPRIME turned on. On exporting the photo to disk the CPU cores started to overheat, at one point all four of them. This morning I ran a test with two of my old nightclub photos taken on my K20D (now long gone) shot in 2010 at 6400 ISO. First in PhotoLab 3 with PRIME turned on, then in PhotoLab 4 with PRIME, and finally in PhotoLab 4 with DeepPRIME. PRIME in PhotoLab 4 seems a bit better that the PhotoLab 3 version; and the DeepPRIME version was the best, somewhat less noise and slightly sharper. But the overheating of all four cores in my CPU occurred in both the DeepPRIME exports (88, 91, 90, 88 deg. C at one point).

From the website CPU Temperature Overheat | PC Gamer: "Overclocking temperatures could in theory go as high as 90°C while still being ‘safe’, and the max temperature for many CPUs is listed in the 105-110°C range. But for long-term use, you’re much better off keeping things below 80°C in general and only pushing up to 85°C at the most."

Although I like the interface changes made to PhotoLab 4 and the DeepPRIME feature, I think I'll pass on it until I get a new desktop or rebuild this one again. I won't even try it on my older hand-me-down Surface 3 tablet. I am writing this as a bit of a warning to other users in this forum. PhotoLab is a great product, but the latest version appears to need more-than-usual processing power to get much use of the deepPRIME feature.

Added: Or at least, a newer more powerful CPU than the one I have now; even though it has had no issues up to now.

Last edited by cpk; 10-23-2020 at 01:09 PM.