Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2021, 02:46 AM   #91

Photos: Gallery
For cameras I have done it, for lenses not.

I usually try things before I post.

06-18-2021, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a great photo, dim light, subject much too small in the frame, looking away from me... But I decided to see what it would look like after a little treatment with DxO's Deep Prime noise reduction.

Before:

ISO 6400 K-S2, ooc (ooc without High ISO NR)
full sized file: All sizes | ISO 6400 K-S2, ooc | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

After:

ISO 6400 K-S2, DxO Deep Prime
Full sized file: All sizes | ISO 6400 K-S2, DxO Deep Prime | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There are issues that come with high ISO, but noise is not one of them with software like this or, what was the other one that receives high praise, DeNoize?
06-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I purchased the Nik 4/PL4 Elite bundle a couple of weeks ago, haven't used it a whole lot yet as I've been too busy, but it is certainly powerful. It was a great upgrade form Nik 3 and PL3 Essential for $99.

DeepPrime does a really good job most of the time, although there are certainly still images where I can see the smoothed NR look if I zoom in enough. Maybe a good reminder that high ISO files have their limits, especially if you want to crop (i.e. just don't crop as much). Since I mainly use primes, it's a lesson I have to relearn every so often when I want to stretch my equipment maybe a little harder than I should.
06-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #94

I did the same upgrade. I have found it very worthwhile.

06-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like how the above turned out with very little editing of the Olympus RAW beyond the application of the color setting Kodachrome inside PL4.
07-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm.

I own a KP and a K3 iii.

My computer processor is about 12 yrs old (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960). 8 Gb of Ram. The GPU is newer (bought a few months ago): a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4Gb on board. I am slowly doing more than just cropping using Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 version 5.9.2 but it a bit clunky and buggy. Am slowly learning to deal with underexposed shots with good results. Colour correction of subjects lit by a very low sun is still a bit of a challenge, and not a clue re White Balance (except a general understanding of what colour temperature means!!)

How do you guys think this computer setup will go with PhotoLab 4? Especially with the Deep Prime Noise? I find I have often shot at ISO 6400 with an obvious amount of noise in the feather detail of birds.
07-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #97

Photos: Gallery
Why don't you try it. You don't need to buy a licence, use the probation period.

07-09-2021, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am pretty pleased with the software overall. DXO just pushed an update for both PL4 and Nik, I haven't tested them yet but I know the Nik update was specifically said to address the performance of Silver Efex and Vivenza with their control points slowing down considerably with Nik 4. So hopefully this will be a step in the right direction as the performance definitely took a hit versus Nik 3. The above photo was from a M4/3 camera and since it was low light, there was some noise even though it was only ISO 400. It did a good job overall.
07-10-2021, 04:11 AM   #99
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
How do you guys think this computer setup will go with PhotoLab 4? Especially with the Deep Prime Noise? I find I have often shot at ISO 6400 with an obvious amount of noise in the feather detail of birds.
See my post #15 in this thread and Larrymc's response in #17. I further responded in posts #58 and #62. Use the trial period to test your system.
07-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmmm.

I own a KP and a K3 iii.

My computer processor is about 12 yrs old (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960). 8 Gb of Ram. The GPU is newer (bought a few months ago): a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4Gb on board. I am slowly doing more than just cropping using Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 version 5.9.2 but it a bit clunky and buggy. Am slowly learning to deal with underexposed shots with good results. Colour correction of subjects lit by a very low sun is still a bit of a challenge, and not a clue re White Balance (except a general understanding of what colour temperature means!!)

By all means give PhotoLab 4 a spin you need to experience the enjoyment of using PL4 for yourself. You should be OK with your setup, I have a Core i7 M4800 CPU with 16Gb of Ram but the GPU is a Nvidia K2100M with 2 Gb and I have PL4 setup for auto selection of the GPU when it needs to. My usual K-3 DeepPrime times are in the 12-15 second range, if I recall correctly. With just the GPU it was almost 30 seconds and with just the CPU it was well over 45 seconds. Keep in mind though that the Mk III profiles have not been released yet but you will be able to process your KP images. Projected release for the Mk III profiles is in October, DXO finished their evaluation of the Mk III back in late May but didn't have time to get the profiles done in time for the latest July updates.

I gave DCU 5 a shot with some of my Mk III DNG files and decided quite fast that the program was a clunky mess. For my interim RAW processing needs I bought a copy of Affinity Photo on sale and On1 NoNoise AI 2021. I've seen positive comments about Affinity as well as On1 No Noise but I'll say here and now they are way too fiddly and can't do the job that PhotoLab 4 can do in one session.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-17-2021 at 11:40 AM.
07-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #101
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I gave DCU 5 a shot with some of my Mk III DNG files and decided quite fast that the program was a clunky mess. For my interim RAW processing needs I bought a copy of Affinity Photo on sale and On1 NoNoise AI 2021. I've seen positive comments about Affinity as well as On1 No Noise but I'll say here and now they are way too fiddly and can't do the job that PhotoLab 4 can do in one session.
I don't like using DCU either, but it does have the ability to handle pixel shift images. So does RawTherapee.
09-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next month we'll be getting the K-3 III support
09-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
By all means give PhotoLab 4 a spin you need to experience the enjoyment of using PL4 for yourself. You should be OK with your setup, I have a Core i7 M4800 CPU with 16Gb of Ram but the GPU is a Nvidia K2100M with 2 Gb and I have PL4 setup for auto selection of the GPU when it needs to. My usual K-3 DeepPrime times are in the 12-15 second range, if I recall correctly. With just the GPU it was almost 30 seconds and with just the CPU it was well over 45 seconds. Keep in mind though that the Mk III profiles have not been released yet but you will be able to process your KP images. Projected release for the Mk III profiles is in October, DXO finished their evaluation of the Mk III back in late May but didn't have time to get the profiles done in time for the latest July updates.

Larry
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I don't like using DCU either, but it does have the ability to handle pixel shift images. So does RawTherapee.
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Next month we'll be getting the K-3 III support
I have pretty much decided to buy DXO - I did download a trial, but the month has run out. Am waiting for when they do add in the K3 iii support next month.
10-07-2021, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have pretty much decided to buy DXO - I did download a trial, but the month has run out. Am waiting for when they do add in the K3 iii support next month.
Given 99% of my editing is in DXO4, this ( and the $$) have been my major obstacles to upgrading to a K3iii. I have been going back through old photos after upgrading to DXO4 and have been able to salvage many images I had given up on previously. The Deep Prime does wonders on cleanup when I need to do high contrast editing- I love this software.
10-08-2021, 06:32 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pentaxrumors said, K-3 III support has been added in the latest version of... PureRAW new version of Photolab is not available yet.