Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2020, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
That's a good idea. I was mulling over something similar last night. It may require a bit of fussing around to get the lens square with the canvas, but certainly doable with simple tools. I think even smartphone electronic levels may be sufficiently sensitive to get frame and camera both dead-level.
Actually, getting square is not too difficult. Mount the art work (if using a jig of some sort, you might consider making the painting being the movable object around a grid), measure the height at its center. Put your camera on the tripod, level it (using internal level or a little flash shoe mount level) and make its height (center of the lens) the same - OK, now the painting and the camera are on the same level. Drop a vertical down to the floor from the painting center (eyeball might be good enough, or just use a weight on a string) and run a line out from that spot to the tripod and place the tripod centered on the line (you gotta keep the line at 90 degrees from the wall/painting). This all assumes you've got the painting mounted truly vertical.

As a check, if everything is square, the painting (assuming IT is rectangular in shape) should make a perfect rectangle in the camera image. If there is any keystoning, you are not square on to the painting. You can use the various lines in the viewfinder to help get this right. After you take a shot, review the image, blow it up, and place an edge of the painting/frame near the edge of the camera view screen - and then run the image up/down or across with the camera toggle - the painting edge should stay the same distance from the view screen edge all along.

With a bit of practice, this all becomes second nature. You might find that a laser level is helpful oin getting things square and level (and the power level will NOT damage the art work - I used to use a laser pointer to help me focus on artwork that had no sharp features - you can use autofocus on the pointer dot).

Good Luck, and do feel free to PM me with questions.

Last edited by AstroDave; 10-24-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add laser suggestion
10-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great advice Dave! I really like the keystone check idea. I could even make up a stiff foamcore board with perfectly square grid lines drawn in black marker, held in the painting jig, and use that combined with the grid lines in the viewfinder to check for square. Once the jig and camera are aligned I can compose and frame as needed, depending on method used (full canvas shot, or multiple overlaps for stitching). Indeed, easier than I had been thinking.

Thanks for the offer to PM...might take you up on that.

All the best, and enjoy your weekend.
3 Days Ago   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These two might be of interest to you. I have never used them since I rarely have to upscale, but it is goo to know. Once in a while I do get a request to produce large (24X30"+) prints, but I usually tell them that my lowly camera can't handle something like this.

1) Let's Enhance
Let's Enhance

2) Pixelmatorpro (Mac only)
All about the new ML*Super*Resolution feature in Pixelmator*Pro - Pixelmator Blog
3 Days Ago   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
These two might be of interest to you. I have never used them since I rarely have to upscale, but it is goo to know. Once in a while I do get a request to produce large (24X30"+) prints, but I usually tell them that my lowly camera can't handle something like this.

1) Let's Enhance
Let's Enhance

2) Pixelmatorpro (Mac only)
All about the new ML*Super*Resolution feature in Pixelmator*Pro - Pixelmator Blog

That's great -- thank you very much for letting me know about those. I will check them out.

Unfortunately, for the time being the project is on hold. Our area is back into a covid lockdown and we are being asked to restrict our personal contacts to a minimum. So we are respecting that and waiting until things improve before we dive into it. Patience, patience.....

3 Days Ago   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always just upscale my images. 4800 pixels is 100 per inch at 48 inches. So you have have sufficient resolution. You might want to upscale to 300 0r 360 dpi, I just use conventional software for that. But she needs to understand, you can't pile on the colour with a printer the way you can from a painting. It won't look exactly the same. While 16 MP might be a little on the light end for an image that large, I'd print one and see how it goes.

You might be committing to a lot more work than your friend needs or wants.
Honestly, we have never seen a lot of difference between my wife's K-5 and my K-1 when comparing images. If I were doing it I'd do it with the K-1 and pixels shift. In doors, no wind, no look vibration (every hold still) etc. I've frequently used pixel shift on the 2 second timer with very good results. But I won't buy gear for a job without a contract that guarantees I get paid more than the cost of the gear.

But if you just want a K-P, it's a great excuse.
3 Days Ago   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But she needs to understand, you can't pile on the colour with a printer the way you can from a painting. It won't look exactly the same. While 16 MP might be a little on the light end for an image that large, I'd print one and see how it goes.

She knows about the limitations of printers vs. painting -- she has done a few test prints using her own low-end camera and hoping for good results, but has been rather disappointed, unsurprisingly. And yes, I do intend to a test print for her. We still need to have a good long discussion of expectations on both sides, and all that.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Honestly, we have never seen a lot of difference between my wife's K-5 and my K-1 when comparing images.

Now that's an interesting statement. Aside from this project, I have been mulling over whether to upgrade my K5ii to a KP or K1 for my everyday photography. As yet, I remain unconvinced of the advantages of either body over what the K5ii brings to me. The better the lens on that camera, the better the results. Also, I am not a resolution nut. I think I mentioned this somewhere before, but I print my images, sometimes quite large (20x24), and the advantages of all those pixels are mostly lost at normal viewing distances at that print size. But colour richness, a sense of 3-dimensional depth, and full tones, all make more emotional impact to a viewer than resolution does.

Also (and this could be quite telling in light of what is not being written) is that almost all forum comments here and elsewhere comparing, say, the KP to the K5 family speak of the vastly superior image quality, but few say exactly what that means. Resolution is a given, and goes without saying. But what about tonal richness, realistic colours, a sense of dimensional depth? No one seems to be saying the KP is superior there.

I truly like how the K5ii renders tones and colours and dimension. I haven't seen many sample images that clearly show that the other apsc bodies are clearly superior, and quite the opposite is true if I am being honest. (the caveat being that this is subjective, and my own aesthetics are at play here). However, I do really like the images I see from the K1 -- so clean and detailed, great depth of tones -- but it is more camera than I need as a hobbyist. If I have some spare cash at some point then I think this is what I would look at, though.

I think this would make an interesting discussion for a separate thread. I will likely start one at some point if I don't answer my own question first.

Thanks for the thought-provoking comments.

Best,
Svend
3 Days Ago   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Thanks for the thought-provoking comments.
No problem... I used to live in Shelbourne by the way. And one of my wife's cousins lives in Mono, so she was just down there a while ago. And also, she thinking's of upgrading to a K-5ii, she likes the K-5 and we know where there's one second hand from a good source. She's never taken to my K-3 or K-1.
3 Days Ago   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nice! Coincidentally we were in Mono two days ago hiking on the Bruce Trail. So much to explore up in that area.

May I ask what it is about your cameras that your wife doesn't care for? Is it image quality, ergonomics, or something else? Just curious to know if other K5 users share my thoughts

3 Days Ago   #39
Pentaxian

Nice! Coincidentally we were in Mono two days ago hiking on the Bruce Trail. So much to explore up in that area.

May I ask what it is about your cameras that your wife doesn't care for? Is it image quality, ergonomics, or something else? Just curious to know if other K5 users share my thoughts
Ha ha, about two weeks ago my wife was in mono hiking on the Bruce Trail. Small world.

The K-3 was step backwards in DR, and she shoots a lot of landscape. So I think for her the K-5 was actually better.
I really appreciate the 8 FPS of the K-3 for birding and wildlife.
In going to a K-P which I've tried to get her to consider she'd have an upgrade, but we do a lot of long hikes and canoe trips, and the whole "small battery" issue comes up. And the K-5 still produces top notch images.

People forget, this was a top 6 camera when released, many companies still haven't surpassed it in IQ, in any of their models.

She's a "If it ain't broke don't fix it. " kind of girl.

Her current passion is her Q. She has produced some excellent images with it over the last few days.

Last edited by normhead; 3 Days Ago at 12:12 PM.
3 Days Ago   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Small world is right

Interesting comments on K5's dynamic range, and that other companies have not caught up in overall IQ. I have been trying out several highly-regarded newer cameras borrowed from a friend, including the Fuji X100F which everyone seems to be mad for. Well, I must say the K5ii more than holds it's own against all others I compared it to, and really shamed the Fuji. To do a fair test, I would shoot the exact same scene back to back with the K5ii and the Fuji (or whichever was on loan that week). The Pentax consistently had more DR, nicer colour tones, better colour depth, and if I used a good lens (e.g. my FA 50/2.8 macro) it was equally sharp. I absolutely hated the Fuji's EVF mode, and found its optical finder to be OK but nothing special. It was a joy to switch back to the Pentax and it's wonderful finder. For such a popular camera, that Fuji was a huge disappointment. The only thing it did better than the K5ii was lower noise at higher ISOs....that's it.

After all these trials and tests I figured that the only thing better than the K5ii might be....another Pentax, like the KP. But as mentioned, I'm really not sold as yet. That K5ii is just so good.

I'm not surprised your wife likes the Q. I owned the MX-1 for a time, which I think has the same sensor. Some of the images I got from that little camera were astounding. Punches way above its weight.
3 Days Ago   #41
Pentaxian

Small world is right

Interesting comments on K5's dynamic range, and that other companies have not caught up in overall IQ. I have been trying out several highly-regarded newer cameras borrowed from a friend, including the Fuji X100F which everyone seems to be mad for. Well, I must say the K5ii more than holds it's own against all others I compared it to, and really shamed the Fuji. To do a fair test, I would shoot the exact same scene back to back with the K5ii and the Fuji (or whichever was on loan that week). The Pentax consistently had more DR, nicer colour tones, better colour depth, and if I used a good lens (e.g. my FA 50/2.8 macro) it was equally sharp. I absolutely hated the Fuji's EVF mode, and found its optical finder to be OK but nothing special. It was a joy to switch back to the Pentax and it's wonderful finder. For such a popular camera, that Fuji was a huge disappointment. The only thing it did better than the K5ii was lower noise at higher ISOs....that's it.

After all these trials and tests I figured that the only thing better than the K5ii might be....another Pentax, like the KP. But as mentioned, I'm really not sold as yet. That K5ii is just so good.

I'm not surprised your wife likes the Q. I owned the MX-1 for a time, which I think has the same sensor. Some of the images I got from that little camera were astounding. Punches way above its weight.
I have an XG-1 kind of like the MX-1, and I suspect the interchangeable lenses or the Q are a little better.