Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Modifying the S-curve in-camera

Hi!

I realized something recently.

When processing PJEGs produced by my K-1 ii, I frequently end up boosting the shadows in my images. So my question is : if I don't want to change anything else (I like the colours, general exposure, etc), how would you go around tuning the S curve to boost only the shadows?

Thanks!

11-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you want a more customized approach than turning on shadow recovery?
11-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
how would you go around tuning the S curve to boost only the shadows?
Dang! You are the third person in the last couple of days who has asked about this sort of thing. The solution is to adjust parameters for one of the custom image settings. The range of adjustment is rather limited and coarse, but I suspect that Shadow Adjustment and tweaks to High/Low Key and Contrast might do what you need. There is a small matter of the actual effect tending to vary by the contents of the frame, but it still might work.

Steve
11-05-2020, 03:57 AM   #4

Or do it is post of course, Lightroom is very good for doing just that

11-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
Or do it is post of course, Lightroom is very good for doing just that
I know but I'd rather have good results out of camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dang! You are the third person in the last couple of days who has asked about this sort of thing. The solution is to adjust parameters for one of the custom image settings. The range of adjustment is rather limited and coarse, but I suspect that Shadow Adjustment and tweaks to High/Low Key and Contrast might do what you need. There is a small matter of the actual effect tending to vary by the contents of the frame, but it still might work.
Yep, that's what I come to realize. I would have hoped for a finer level of control but I think that's the way to go. I'll have to do controlled tests to adjust everything in the best way possible.
11-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Yep, that's what I come to realize. I would have hoped for a finer level of control but I think that's the way to go. I'll have to do controlled tests to adjust everything in the best way possible.
Custom image and digital filters are both features that I have never used on my K-3. I tried them out when I was first learning the camera and decided they were sort of gimmicky and a pain to leverage.

Steve
11-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Custom image and digital filters are both features that I have never used on my K-3. I tried them out when I was first learning the camera and decided they were sort of gimmicky and a pain to leverage.
I was positively surprised by the KP: The JPEG engine has definitely been improved over the K-5 and K-1 (1st version), to the point I'm actually sometimes exposing for best JPEGs rather than best, by my criteria, DNGs for post-processing. Tuning the parameters, which I also ignored before, makes a lot of
sense now. I still use DNG+JPEG, this way I can tweak them even in-camera and re-develop. I have some successful pictures using the high contrast B&W filter, but haven't really invested effort into any of the others. Is there a 'club' thread in the forum for those similar to the HDR ADV (sigh!) one?

11-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wouldn't want to use digital filters. Simply tune the JPEG output to a better balance than right now. I'll have to take a relevant image and test by boosting the shadows by one step at a time, taking the same image again and again, to see where my favourite balance lays.