Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
DNG is not a proprietary format, it is open.
That is a common misconception.

DNG is a standard and has been openly published, but it is owned and controlled by Adobe and is copyrighted (apparently patented too). It is open in the same sense as TIFF, another Adobe-owned standard. I have a copy of the SDK (software development kit) and could check the terms and conditions to see if commercial implementations require a license should I attempt to write any.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-06-2020 at 02:39 PM.
11-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Thanks, I've hunted over and over for the profiles files location.
There is another location where .lcp files may be copied to that are user-specific. For example, if Lightroom has trouble finding the updated profile files in the Program Data tree, you can copy the ones you are interested in to:

C:\Users\DWS\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles

I have custom camera profiles for my K-3 in that area.

Steve
11-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote

DNG is Adobe's proprietary format, as written above.

Mario
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a common misconception.

DNG is a standard and has been openly published, but it is owned and controlled by Adobe and is copyrighted. It is open in the same sense as TIFF, another Adobe-owned standard. I have a copy of the SDK (software development kit) and could check the terms and conditions to see if commercial implementations require a license should I attempt to write any.

Steve
Here's everything legal about Adobe DNG
11-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #19
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's everything legal about Adobe DNG
Maybe you haven't read the whole thing:

DNG is publicly licensed by Adobe which holds the rights to it, the fact that it is freely downloadable means that Adobe makes it available to all those who make legal use of it,

but at any time and under certain circumstances, it may also revoke the license as the legitimate owner.

However, it is well explained from this point.

DNG Specification patent license

11-06-2020, 03:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Medex had a post on how to move the profile from ACR to allow it be used by stand alone Lightroom versions

HD Pentax-D FA* 1:1.4 85mm Lens Club - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

I have done this and it works. Seems to mainly fix vignetting. I will add that Lightroom doesn't automatically pick the profile for you and you do need to manually choose "Pentax" in the drop down menu after which it uses the right one.
11-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! The patent license at the end very nicely frames the nature of DNG and how it is "open" and how deviance from the published specification might nullify the license. Ricoh came perilously close in that regard when it packaged multiple DNG in a single file for pixel shift. The DNG specification implies one set of capture data per file, but DNG being an extension of TIFF/EP (an ISO standard administered by Adobe) the packaging was legal. Adobe punted in its initial support of the K-3II by only processing the first of the four bundled captures, but eventually was able to support the feature itself in later product versions.

In compliance with the license, the user manual for my K-3 includes the statement,

QuoteQuote:
This product includes DNG technology under license by Adobe Systems Incorporated.

The DNG logo is either a registered trademark or trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-06-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: removed dross and typos
11-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #22
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax
Thank you for the suggestion, It must also be said that there are other sub-directories, where the Camera profiles and Presets reside.

\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera

\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings\Adobe\Presets

Alternatively the link to supported optics updated to October 2020

Or alternatively you can create the lens profile with Adobe Lens Profile Creator 1.0.4

Mario

Last edited by maw; 11-06-2020 at 01:58 PM.
11-07-2020, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It might be. Is your Lightroom the perpetual license version? If so, update support ended with v6.12 v6.14, the version I have. While we can't get a LR version with the new lenses, we can install the new lens profiles by downloading and installing the Adobe DNG converter utility. It always contains the most recent camera and lens profile files. You don't need to actually run the converter on any files, just install the software.

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Steve
This was the answer, thanks. I am working with Lightroom 6.12 version. I switched to Lightroom CC subscription for a time and just hated that version so luckily I had not uninstalled my classic version. Installing the newest DNG converter updated everything in the Lightroom application and the new lens is right there. Since I had already imported a photoshoot, and I have Lightroom set up to import as Adobe DNG files, they were in the wrong format. However, I just opened the DNG converter (per the handy video instructions someone linked above) and converted the files I planned to edit. I knew it had worked right away because Lightroom recognized the lens when I clicked on the EXIF info, when before it just said 85 mm, nothing more. Easy peasy!

If you have not looked into the new D-FA 85mm, heftiness aside, I cannot say enough great things about it. This weekend I took an entire family photo session with it and never even pulled another lens out of my bag, which is a first.

Thanks for all the help, Angie

11-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just install the software.
Not your problem, but I just can't get this to download, I have windows 10 and LR 6.14, dunno why
11-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Not your problem, but I just can't get this to download, I have windows 10 and LR 6.14, dunno why
Works for me on Win 10. Do you have any restrictions regarding executable downloads (file is a self-extracting zip)?

Steve
11-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Works for me on Win 10. Do you have any restrictions regarding executable downloads (file is a self-extracting zip)?
Just clicking on it started it looking at the Adobe site and then stopped, with nothing more happening. Since it worked for you it's not the link, it must be my Mcafee settings or something.

I will sort it when I need to.

It's great that there is access to the latest profiles though.
11-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
I switched to Lightroom CC subscription for a time and just hated that version so luckily I had not uninstalled my classic version.
Just FYI but the CC subscription includes both Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic. As well as a license for Photoshop.

I took a look at Lightroom CC and like you quickly decided it was not for me. However, the Classic version is also included in the subscription and works just fine, and has some very nice improvements over the 6.x version. LR Classic is now on version 10.0 Just don't install the CC version.

If you are happy with LR 6.x that's fine, I just wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding about what "Lightroom CC subscription" is. LR 6.x certainly has one big advantage, in that it doesn't have an ongoing cost.
11-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just FYI but the CC subscription includes both Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic. As well as a license for Photoshop.
...and LR Classic is not the same as LR 6.x perpetual license.

Steve
11-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LR Classic is not the same as LR 6.x perpetual license
Quite right, LR Classic is subscription based but it is functionally the same, though updated, as LR 6.x.

LR CC is quite different and for me is not usable or even understandable.