Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom Lens Profile for new DFA 85mm lens

I cannot seem to locate an Adobe lens profile for the new Pentax DFA 85mm lens. Could the issue be that I am using Lightroom classic 6? I really am not a fan of Lightroom CC; it lost some functions that I prefer.

Any suggestions appreciated.

11-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
You just need to update Camera Raw, 85 is covered, I have Camera Raw v.13.0.2.644

Ciao Mario
11-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
You just need to update Camera Raw, 85 is covered, I have Camera Raw v.13.0.2.644

Ciao Mario
I have wondered how that works for Lightroom users, such as the thread starter, where ACR is intrinsic to the application. I thought it was a Photoshop plugin.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-05-2020 at 02:37 PM.
11-05-2020, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
Could the issue be that I am using Lightroom classic 6?
It might be. Is your Lightroom the perpetual license version? If so, update support ended with v6.12 v6.14, the version I have. While we can't get a LR version with the new lenses, we can install the new lens profiles by downloading and installing the Adobe DNG converter utility. It always contains the most recent camera and lens profile files. You don't need to actually run the converter on any files, just install the software.

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-05-2020 at 04:20 PM.
11-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bridge is free from Adobe, I’m sure the profiles are in there, all my lenses show in my old and current bridge versions

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-05-2020, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought it was a Photoshop plugin.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Bridge is free from Adobe,
1. DNG converter, converts files from the proprietary format (PEF in this case) to Adobe's proprietary format, i.e. DNG.

2. Lightroom and Camera Raw are the same thing, i.e. Lightroom is a child of Camera Raw with different purposes (sorting, cataloguing, etc.).

3.The ''lens profile'' is updated for each lens in Camera Raw. Not with DNG converter or Bridge.
11-05-2020, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The reason I asked is because I tried it once and ACR would not install unless Photoshop was on the computer.

1. DNG converter, converts files from the proprietary format (PEF in this case) to Adobe's proprietary format, i.e. DNG.

2. Lightroom and Camera Raw are the same thing, i.e. Lightroom is a child of Camera Raw with different purposes (sorting, cataloguing, etc.).

3.The ''lens profile'' is updated for each lens in Camera Raw. Not with DNG converter or Bridge.
#1`Yep, that is what it is used for.

#2 Nope ACR is a Photoshop Plug-in, though both Lightroom and Photoshop Elements "wrap" Camera Raw functionality.

#3 Yes and no. The profiles are updated with an update of Camera Raw the same as with an update of LR CC, but DNG Converter is the mechanism prescribed by Adobe for updating camera and lens profiles for perpetual license Lightroom v6.14 and several other products.

QuoteQuote:
As always, new cameras are supported for legacy versions of Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge, After Effects, and Photoshop Elements through the free Adobe DNG Converter.
From Adobe Blogs | Lightroom Journal

I have done this several times to provide updated camera and lens profiles for LR v6.14. It is possible that Bridge (suggested by @MikeMcE) might serve the same purpose, but I am happy with the fairly innocuous and light install of the DNG Converter.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-05-2020 at 04:19 PM.
11-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

OK, then how did the profiles get into bridge. I don’t use Adobe RAW, or LR.
Just bridge to import and affinity to pp .
Thanks in advance.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
OK, then how did the profiles get into bridge.
According to the internet ACR does come with Bridge. However, it is enabled as 'read-only' unless you also have a PS or LR CC license. So from that I would assume if you have Bridge installed and updated then you have the latest ACR as well. Since I use LR Classic my license is installed so I cannot check but you should be able to see if ACR is installed or running.
11-05-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
maw
Pentaxian

For Steve, Mike and...

I am referring to the metadata about the characteristics of the optics in question, I only use Camera Raw within Photoshop, I do not use Lightroom "it would be the same anyway".
If you open a PEF or DNG file in Camera Raw and it is not updated, you can only make changes related to distortion and vignetting manually, missing the optics profile.

E.g. I opened a photo taken with the Pentax-F 300mm F4.5 ED [IF] on automatic gives me as an alternative you know which optics? HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW,
because there is no 300mm lens profile, but as we know they are two different things, so you have to do them manually.

Here Adobe: Work with lens profiles in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Camera Raw

Ciao Mario
11-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
According to the internet ACR does come with Bridge. However, it is enabled as 'read-only' unless you also have a PS or LR CC license. So from that I would assume if you have Bridge installed and updated then you have the latest ACR as well. Since I use LR Classic my license is installed so I cannot check but you should be able to see if ACR is installed or running.

Thanks, makes sense, I will check.I still have my legal CS5.5 / ACR installed and updated I assume.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-05-2020, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For Steve, Mike and...

I am referring to the metadata about the characteristics of the optics in question...
Ciao Mario
Cool! Now you know that that stuff is read from profile files referenced by the software you use. On a Windows system, they have the .lcp extension and are stored at:

Code:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax
...or someplace similar. The list is extensive and contains some surprises. Profile files for new lenses often take several months to make it into updates, so it is good to hear they are already available for the D FA* 85/1.4

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-05-2020 at 07:08 PM.
11-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DNG is not a proprietary format, it is open.
11-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool! Now you know that that stuff is read from profile files referenced by the software you use. On a Windows system, they have the .lcp extension and are stored at:

Code:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax
...or someplace similar. The list is extensive and contains some surprises. Profile files for new lenses often take several months to make it into updates, so it is good to hear they are already available for the D FA* 85/1.4

Steve
Thanks, I've hunted over and over for the profiles files location.
11-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #15
maw
Pentaxian

Cool! Now you know that that stuff is read from profile files referenced by the software you use. On a Windows system, they have the .lcp extension
So, if Camera Raw is not updated the new optics will not be present in Camera Raw's database and consequently also in Lightroom.

- I installed Photoshop 2018, I only update Camera Raw, which from some version is much improved now it has also Color Grading, color profiles and other small improvements.

- The database files are 86 optics at the moment. The problem as said are the previous optics that have no profile, so you have to operate manually.

- Another thing worth mentioning, the files in Pixel-Shift Mode now are opened in ACR, before it was not possible, sign that Adobe is not completely insensitive to Pentax users,
hopefully they also implement layer separation otherwise you can still use RawTherapee.

Moral, it's worth updating.

Ciao Mario

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 05:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
DNG is not a proprietary format, it is open.
DNG is Adobe's proprietary format, as written above.

Mario