Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #1

How to save RAW shots as jpeg/tiff?

I am using a computer that does not have photoshop/lightroom installed on it, but I need to quickly edit some photos.

I have an editing program that will do the meager stuff I need (photoscape), but it won't read PEF extensions.

Well, hey, no problem, I thought to myself. Surely the proprietary Pentax software that came with my k100d will have the option to batch process/save as either tiff or high quality jpeg.

I can't find the tiff, and when I do a save as/jpeg, it comes out as a tiny file...like starting with a 9 meg picture and coming our with a 200k jpeg.

help? Anyone have a solution for a limited setup? I can download free programs if there is a handy converter, but I can't get photoshop/LR on this computer in the time frame I need to get this done.

Am I missing something in the Pentax software?

11-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Faststone

Try Faststone. It will read PEFs and save as TIFFs.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
11-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
great, thanks!
11-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found Picasa to work well for quick and dirty RAW conversion to JPEG.

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

Infortunately it will not export as TIFF

Steve

11-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A lot of people like Raw Therapee. It does PEF and will output JPEG and TIFF (8 and 16 bit). Not sure if it has a batch mode or not. GIMP with UFRaw might be another solution.
11-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The pentax software can save as 8 or 16 bit tiff, it is a tab in the photolab application look under tool and save as option.
11-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In Pentax Photo Browser you can quickly extract jpg's in a batch. Your settings sound wrong in Photo Lab.