Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lightroom Classic newbie with K3 ii

Hi - I've been using Photoshop Elements for a few years and have always been happy with the Organizer function (note that I'm a librarian so I'm very passionate about metadata). I just migrated my catalog to Lightroom Classic as I would like to take advantage of the more sophisticated post-processing that it offers. The problem is that I cannot see the camera/lens/exposure information on any of my photos anymore. When I export an image, I can see that information in Windows so the metadata is still attached to the photo. It just seems that LRC doesn't recognize it. I use a K3-ii but also include some iPhone photos in my catalog. It would be useful to be able to filter by camera as well as note what the exposure was on any particular photo. GPS data is there.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix?

Anita

11-12-2020, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #2

In Library view you can see your metadata in the right hand column for any highlighted image while in grid view. If you have the histogram visible it will also show basic exposure info plus focal length. In loupe view you can customise the overlay info to give you a wide range of metadata info - use view options (Ctrl-J) to see what you can choose.

In Library grid view select the metadata tab from the Library Filters line and you can filter by any combination of metadata you want.
11-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
In Library view you can see your metadata in the right hand column for any highlighted image while in grid view. If you have the histogram visible it will also show basic exposure info plus focal length. In loupe view you can customise the overlay info to give you a wide range of metadata info - use view options (Ctrl-J) to see what you can choose.

In Library grid view select the metadata tab from the Library Filters line and you can filter by any combination of metadata you want.
As you can see from the attached screenshot, everything under the histogram is blank -- there are hyphens where I should see ISO, focal length, aperture, and shutter speed. And if I view the metadata on the right and hit Ctrl-J, the camera info is blank.
Attached Images

11-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Can you still see your metadata in Elements? Did you migrate your catalog by using the import option in LRC? That should retain all metadata.

11-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Can you still see your metadata in Elements? Did you migrate your catalog by using the import option in LRC? That should retain all metadata.
I did use the import from PSE option. I think I figured it out. Many of the photos have a 'metadata conflict' which I can resolve by selecting 'write data from file.' After I do that, the camera info appears. I ended up selecting all and resolving. Fingers are crossed as I wait (hours???) for the operation to complete. Not a fan of Adobe but I can't figure out a suitable alternative.
11-12-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by feidlera Quote
Many of the photos have a 'metadata conflict' which I can resolve by selecting 'write data from file.'
This indicates that the information in the actual file data is different from what is in the Lightroom catalog. Understandable perhaps because of the migration. You have selected the correct choice to read in the info from the file. After that is done the metadata in the file should match the catalog. I see this occasionally if an image is edited externally.

I think going forward you should have no issues if you follow the normal LR import routine.

Also, keep in mind that LR is very customizable. If you don't see something the way you want there is a good chance you can change it someplace to what you want.
11-12-2020, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom handles metadata fine, but (and I suspect Photoshop Elements is the same), it can either store the meta data in the image file, or in the database or an associated sidecar file. If the metadata isn't in the actual image file, then importing the images won't bring the metadata automatically.
With Lightroom, you have the option whether to save metadata changes immediately to the image file, which can slow things down a little, or synchronise the metadata manually (right click on a folder and choose sync).
Incidentally, if you're working with RAW files, not all RAW file formats support updating metadata. I use the DNG format that Pentax supports, as DNG files DO support embedded metadata, and Adobe can update them, without touching the actual image data.
JPG files support embedded metadata too.
If you edit an image outside of Lightroom, say in Photoshop, without launching the edit from Lightroom, there's a potential for metadata to get out of sync, but easy enough to resync.

11-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you ALL! Updating with the file info added the camera and exposure data -- but now all my tagging and captions are lost. I may try re-importing from PSE with a sample set to see if I need to adjust some of the import settings.
This forum is amazing -- I learn so much every time I post. THANK YOU again!
11-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from PSE 13 to Lightroom with no problems. Really like Lightroom's organization and processing options, but thinking of installing PSE 2020 just to do some quick editing on a single photo or two when needed. Lightroom requires to import first. I can open a single file directly with PSE.
11-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I went from PSE 13 to Lightroom with no problems. Really like Lightroom's organization and processing options, but thinking of installing PSE 2020 just to do some quick editing on a single photo or two when needed. Lightroom requires to import first. I can open a single file directly with PSE.
If you don't want to import, and just want to do some quick edits, or just want to edit metadata then if you have the Adobe CC Photography plan (I think it's the only way to get Lightroom now), try Adobe Bridge.

Bridge has the organisation and metadata editing capabilities of Lightroom, but you just browse a folder instead of importing, and if you want to make adjustments, it opens up an image in Adobe Camera Raw which provides the same edit features as Lightroom.

Bridge is more clunky for batch editing than Lightroom, but for individual photos it's faster, and metadata and ACR edit details are embedded into the files, so if you do decide to switch to Lightroom, the edit details should import so long as you import or sync the folder the edited images are in.