Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Printing your work - do you own a printer or do you send to a lab?

I am trying to decide if I should spend the money and buy a 13x19 (Canon Pro-100 or similar) or larger printer for my fine art photographs or create an account with a lab like WHCC. I am looking for prints other than resin-coated Fuji Crystal Archive color paper and Epson poster printer type prints you can get at Costco. I want prints on high-quality paper like Hahnemuhle, Ilford, etc.

Obviously buying a printer is more expensive, but I get instant feedback and more control. I already cut my own mats and do my own framing. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this topic - do you print your own work or send it off to a lab?

11-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an erm ah shall we say economic printer. Then if I like the result I can go and get a good copy. Works for me.
11-12-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not print y own. I figure, based on the number I currently DO print, and then the waste associated with bad prints/mistakes, the ink costs (why the heck is it SOSO much?) and the paper, etc., I am coming out ahead. I wait until the lab is having a special and then a number of things printed at once.
11-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I print occasionally for fun....

if it is something serious, to be displayed on a wall somewhere - I have Miller's print it:

Quality Prints | Photo Books | Cards | Home Decor | Photo Gifts : Mpix

11-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used to print lots of 8x10 years ago on my own but all I do now are the metal prints, 16x24 and larger so I send out. I'll use MPIX and Costco for them and kind of like the Costco ones a little more.

I've heard good things about Miller but haven't tried them, I should look into their metal prints also.
11-12-2020, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I own two printers, one for regular stuff and a Canon Pro-100 for photos. The Pro-100 is capable of excellent results, though getting what you want is helped by learning to soft proof and by using color profiles for the paper you have chosen. A side-effect is less waste of ink and paper. Canon regularly runs their high-end printers at deep discount (essentially free when shipping is factored in), so it is advisable to wait until they are on sale. Be aware that the Pro-100 is both large and heavy. Also be aware that ink and paper will be the major cost factors. There is advantage to planning print sessions in advance to minimize the number of start-up cycles where a lot of ink is consumed just getting the printer primed and ready.

Steve
11-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live less then mile from the local Costco. They have Photo branch with Fuji printer. Print quality good enough (I am not a pro in any way). Price is attractive and I normally I can get prints back next day. I supply online and pick up in person. Very convenient.

11-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I previously owned an Epson 3800 and now own the Epson SC P800 17” wide printer. I originally bought the 3800 because my photo lab would charge me full price for a 16” x 20” print even if I was doing a 6” x 20” pano. At $42 per print, the price went up quick and I could justify my own printer.

I like being able to print a small 4x6 or 8x10 to check my color before printing a big 16” x 20” print or 12” x 36” pano. However, most good photo labs I’ve worked with do a good job matching colors.

I don’t do a high volume of prints... a few a month, but they are usually large prints. My Epson 3800 lasted about 12 years. I have 3-4 favorite papers with several paper sizes of each. Learning to use printer profiles is critical.

I bought sample packs of different papers and printed test sheets, then selected my favorites. I don’t stick with one brand of paper. I like Epson Luster, Ilford Smooth Pearl, Red River Pano, Red River Card Stock and Moab paper, for instance.
11-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I previously owned an Epson 3800 and now own the Epson SC P800 17” wide printer. I originally bought the 3800 because my photo lab would charge me full price for a 16” x 20” print even if I was doing a 6” x 20” pano. At $42 per print, the price went up quick and I could justify my own printer.

I like being able to print a small 4x6 or 8x10 to check my color before printing a big 16” x 20” print or 12” x 36” pano. However, most good photo labs I’ve worked with do a good job matching colors.

I don’t do a high volume of prints... a few a month, but they are usually large prints. My Epson 3800 lasted about 12 years. I have 3-4 favorite papers with several paper sizes of each. Learning to use printer profiles is critical.

I bought sample packs of different papers and printed test sheets, then selected my favorites. I don’t stick with one brand of paper. I like Epson Luster, Ilford Smooth Pearl, Red River Pano, Red River Card Stock and Moab paper, for instance.
If you print just few a month how do you maintain that cartridges do not dry out?
11-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I owned a Canon Pro-1 for years but after carefully evaluating the cost elected to sell it. Unless you print regularly, at least once a week preferably every few days, you will waste so much ink during start up that the cost per print is prohibitive. I now have a small format printer to do photo cards for sale and the occasional 8x10. Everything else is printed at Bay Photo. They have a good selection of fine art paper as well as acrylic, canvas and metal.
11-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I send my shots to a lab just because I travel and move around a lot and tend not to want to accumulate a lot of stuff. I also like not having to maintain a printer.
11-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I print my own at home on a Canon Pro 100, tho on occasion something larger than 19" at work via one Mimaki or one Epson large format, both 65". They both print to a wide range of media.

Last edited by gatorguy; 11-13-2020 at 04:24 AM.
11-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I print my own with Canon Pro 100. I've had it for 2 years now. like it very much because I can make test prints and tweaks to suit me.. Mostly print 13 x 19, some 8 X 10. Test prints are 3 X 5.
11-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I stopped printing my own a few years ago and my "local" (over an hour drive) lab takes care of that. In my particular case, less expensive in the long run and more consistent results.

Thanks,
11-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

canon pro 100