Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It is interesting that my experience with the Canon Pro-10 was so bad and those with the Pro-100 have had a good experience. I debated at the time and went with the more expensive Pro-10. To be honest I really liked the output quality but it simply drank ink. It's startup cycle (when not used frequently) seemed to use 1/4 of the ink cartridges. Printing was not bad and if you ganged up your print jobs it worked well. But for occasional printing it was a complete disaster. One or two prints a month and new ink carts were needed every 3 months. At a cost of $350.
Seems like I should have gone with the Pro-100.
I think all these printers will run through a purge and self-clean cycle if not used for a certain period of time. To combat this, some users will run a small print job every few days (even printing a small 4x6 is enough to keep the ink fresh and avoid the purge cycle).

11-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is interesting that my experience with the Canon Pro-10 was so bad and those with the Pro-100 have had a good experience. I debated at the time and went with the more expensive Pro-10. To be honest I really liked the output quality but it simply drank ink. It's startup cycle (when not used frequently) seemed to use 1/4 of the ink cartridges. Printing was not bad and if you ganged up your print jobs it worked well. But for occasional printing it was a complete disaster. One or two prints a month and new ink carts were needed every 3 months. At a cost of $350.
Seems like I should have gone with the Pro-100.
They these folks:
Precision Colors C5B
11-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
some users will run a small print job every few days
Probably a very good idea.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
these folks:Precision Colors C5B
Thanks! I no longer have the Pro-10 as I sold it on when I moved. I now have a Canon G7020 which is one of the office tank printers. Only 3 color + black and not suited for fine art. It does a surprisingly good job on photocards though so I'm happy with that. I sell about 100 cards / month (well I did pre-COVID) Sales are way down now. But for something that sells for $4 you cannot afford expensive ink.

I have been using Red River paper for years and highly recommend them. They provide ICC profiles for all of their paper for a wide variety of printers.
11-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #49
Pentaxian

To those who send to labs... what lab do you usually use?

11-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
To those who send to labs... what lab do you usually use?
For me, it really depends on how those prints will be used.
Family & friends? Just Costco.com
Faraway friends? Shutterfly.com
Higher quality film or digital prints? TheFindLab.com

For B&W, I am too picky and never outsource.
11-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I use the canon 6820. I think it is one of the least expensive 13x19 printers. I received it the end of May. I 13x19 in a 18x24 frame looks pretty good on a lot of walls. I also started to cut my own mats. My plan is to rotate photos
11-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I use the canon 6820. I also started to cut my own mats. My plan is to rotate photos
Are there any DIY instruction available how to cut mats and put the picture on it?

11-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone sending away for unconventional media like aluminum prints? I print everything myself on my Pro-100, as I think I mentioned earlier, but I've often thought that a standout picture would look really cool as a high-quality aluminum print with a built in wall mount, I've seen some good work this way but I wouldn't know where to go to get it done well and not extremely expensive.
11-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Are there any DIY instruction available how to cut mats and put the picture on it?
YouTube is filled with videos on DIY straight and beveled mat cutting and framing. Logan makes over a dozen different mat cutters from $100-$1000 and they have instructional videos on how to use them.
11-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Anyone sending away for unconventional media like aluminum prints?
Metal is in many circles no longer unconventional. I have not printed anything for sale on anything but metal in several years. It is what sells at shows. It is available from any online printer such as Bay Photo or MPIX. Costco also has metal available as well as a lot of other media. Costco pricing is excellent but the quality is not up to Bay or MPIX. But I would not hesitate to use them for personal work if you are not too picky.
11-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Metal is in many circles no longer unconventional. I have not printed anything for sale on anything but metal in several years. It is what sells at shows. It is available from any online printer such as Bay Photo or MPIX. Costco also has metal available as well as a lot of other media. Costco pricing is excellent but the quality is not up to Bay or MPIX. But I would not hesitate to use them for personal work if you are not too picky.
I've definitely noticed that most of the photos sold by a guy I know who has turned his photography into a business are metal. They do look really nice. I also appreciate that it bypasses the need for framing and matting.
11-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I've definitely noticed that most of the photos sold by a guy I know who has turned his photography into a business are metal.
There are a lot of advantages for metal if you do shows.

- It is a lot lighter than framed glass

- Harder to damage, while you can scratch it, reasonable caution makes metal prints less prone to damage than canvas or framed
- The look of metal is more modern and seems to appeal to younger buyers
- One objection buyers have to framed prints is well, the frame. A frame style can be as personal as the print so framing something and taking it to a show the buyer has to like both the frame and the print
- Prices on metal prints even a few years ago were significantly higher than a framed print. But as prices have dropped for metal they are much closer right now
12-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #58
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
(About Bay Photo and/or prints on metal.)
-- I provided an image for my niece that she had printed by Bay Photo. A large bright day scene with blue sky and white clouds, on metal, and it was printed too dark IMO (She was happy with it so I did not discuss further/contact Bay Photo.)
-- I then observed one (low key/color/dusk scene) another relative (very experienced photographer) did with them, and it also was too dark (and that was also his issue).
-- On the other hand a black and white high key image (on metal) they did for him was fine.

I don't know if it is the process, or something else, and not a large data base, but that was my experience.
12-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Yes, I use logan adapt a rule for the straight edge and their basic 45 and 90 degree cutter. Plus a self healing mat to cut on. I probably spent $100 on equipment. I buy uncut mat board in 30x40 inches they are $12. You get a lot of mats out of that since the cut out portion can also be used. The benefit is you are not held to standard sizes, the craft store I buy my mats from probably has 20 colors. I buy standard size frames
12-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I takes a lot of work especially if you want to use your own paper types. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you got to make time for printing and taking pictures. Then there is the business side. If you could find a printer that will personally work with you, that might be a better choice but then you got to pay them...