Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 02:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ON1 Professional Plugin Series

ON1 has published the ON1 Professional plugins 2021 recently.
ON1 HDR 2021, ON1 Effects 2021, ON1 Resize 2021 and ON1 Portrait AI 2021.
For Photoshop, Lightroom, Affinity Photo, Corel, Apple Photos, Capture One (coming soon) and stand alone.
The bundled reduced price is 91.85 ( or $) or 61.23 each.

Has somebody tried them ? What are your opinions on that ?

11-20-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I actually have ON1 Photo Raw, which I use from scratch rather than as a plugin from Lightroom (or other). In many ways it is far more powerful than LR, particularly with layers, presets, LUTs, textures etc. Lightroom is better on a few basic editing tasks, such as eliminating chromatic aberrations. I tend to use ON1 (from scratch) rather than LR for photos where I want maximum artistic reach, and have been delighted with the results. For quick basic edits, it makes little difference.

On installing ON1, its Develop, Effects, Portrait AI and Resize modules are automatically made available in LR, PS and Apple Photos, and presumably the others you mention if they are installed. I can also go the other way, using LR as a plugin from within ON1.

Here's a recent example, designed to illustrate release from lockdown. It uses three filters within Effects, two textures and Dynamic Contrast. Of course, there's a huge range of "looks" you can create; this is just one example.

K1 + HD DFA 15-30 @21mm, f/10, 1/250, ISO 200, EV-1

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-20-2020 at 04:25 AM.
11-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I actually have ON1 Photo Raw, which I use from scratch rather than as a plugin from Lightroom (or other). In many ways it is far more powerful than LR, particularly with layers, presets, LUTs, textures etc. Lightroom is better on a few basic editing tasks, such as eliminating chromatic aberrations. I tend to use ON1 (from scratch) rather than LR for photos where I want maximum artistic reach, and have been delighted with the results. For quick basic edits, it makes little difference.

On installing ON1, its Develop, Effects, Portrait AI and Resize modules are automatically made available in LR, PS and Apple Photos, and presumably the others you mention if they are installed. I can also go the other way, using LR as a plugin from within ON1.

Here's a recent example, designed to illustrate release from lockdown. It uses three filters within Effects, two textures and Dynamic Contrast. Of course, there's a huge range of "looks" you can create; this is just one example.
Thank you for the feedback. Can one define its own presets in the plugins ?
11-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually have ON1 Photo Raw, which I use from scratch rather than as a plugin from Lightroom
I have been using On1 Photo Raw for over a year and like it much better that Lightroom. It is much more flexible and powerful than Lightroom. And you get all the plugins you mention integrated into the software.

11-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree 100% with Paul and Mac. I have used ON1 since it's inception. It has been steadily improved, with regular updates. Plus, the number of video tutorials
available is staggering.
11-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used ON1 for the past 3 years before moving away (upgraded to 2021 and then removed for a refund). It is a promising nascent product with potential to compete with big names. However, their support for "Pentax" cameras has been subpar. I was very patient and opened few tickets with them. They were admitted as bugs (reproducible with the files I supplied) but refused to fix them as "they were specific to my files" both DNG and corresponding adjustments. Also, I find it very slow and crashes very often.
11-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you for the feedback. Can one define its own presets in the plugins ?
Certainly in the stand-alone ON1 Photo Raw you can define presets, and new ones are supplied as a bonus most months. I cannot vouch for the individual plugins, but would be surprised if not.

---------- Post added 21-11-20 at 06:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Also, I find it very slow and crashes very often.
I have not found these problems.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-20-2020 at 01:44 PM.
11-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certainly in the stand-alone ON1 Photo Raw you can define presets, and new ones are are supplied as a bonus most months. I cannot vouch for the individual plugins, but would be surprised if not.

---------- Post added 21-11-20 at 06:32 AM ----------

I have not found these problems.
About the crashes, I have installed and used the software on two different machines (iMac and MacBookPro). The crashing is not consistent. It would crash on one machine with a particular photo while it works just fine on another one. However, the limitations on issues such as "color profiles", "not exporting all adjustments" are consistent across all the installations. Anyone else had the similar experience?

11-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ON1 has it benefits.

Last update I did was 2020 and use it only about 25% for processing and the balance in Lightroom. Thing is I know lightroom and have not wanted to deal with the learning curve with ON1 which is really not that bad.

Just lazy on my part I figure.
11-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Certainly in the stand-alone ON1 Photo Raw you can define presets, and new ones are supplied as a bonus most months. I cannot vouch for the individual plugins, but would be surprised if not.
I've read the manual and you can save your own presets !