Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2021, 01:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I have the Asus PA278QV and I love its colours! However, the text clarity drawback discussed here is driving me nuts ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV Review - RTINGS.com even with cleartype enabled. If I had the choice now I would go for something that is 100% srgb, 4k/2k (depends), calibrated or with options for calibrations and great text rendering and if possible higher than 60HZ refresh rate. Don't fool yourself with 10-bit stuff, this is really only for professionals and not for flickr and instagram posters.

01-06-2021, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My pennies worth. I think going much above 24" is a mistake. Better to have a higher quality 24", and a cheap second screen if there's room. There's a natural feel with working on a photo in detail, full screen and having the other stuff in peripheral vision.

Then there's the question of 4K. Why for photo editing? Better to go for a colour accurate 2K monitor (and second cheaper one too). NEC make many superb monitors that are colour accurate. Photo editing does benefit from a wide gamut as, along with 16-bit, it helps reduces artifacts, banding etc. when the final output file is created.
01-06-2021, 03:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
My pennies worth. I think going much above 24" is a mistake.
I would hardly call it a mistake. I guess it comes down to preferences. I used to have a 27/2k imac, and then I moved to a 24/2K dell - looking at your own photos at a larger screen contributes to the experience differently. I have a good quality 4k at work - lg 27ud88-w and it is a pleasure to go through photos. It scales down its resolution nicely if you want to edit at smaller resolutions.
01-06-2021, 04:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Do not be afraid of 4k screens if your intention is to print and you want to get the the best idea of how a print will look with sharpening and noise reduction.

If you are not concerned about printing and want to mimic on your screen what most see on their average monitors of 100 PPI and less than full sRGB coverage save some money and look for a standard monitor.

High resolution monitors will get you closer to the view you will have with big prints. You will be able to see the full image and also observe the the detail inherent in your capture due to the greater pixel density. And also have the benefit of getting a truer view of sharpening and noise reduction requirements by viewing closer to print size (in this case not as close as ideal but...)

Consider the Apple iPad retina screens resolution from 264 PPI to 326 PPI there is a good reason why Apple went this route.

The typical pixel density of a 27" 4k monitor is around 160 PPI such as your linked monitor some 60% greater than 'most' standard 24" monitors. So not such a huge increase, but nevertheless a useful one (for print size viewing sharpening and noise reduction purposes). A 24" 4k monitor may make even more sense due to more PPI

One issue that can occur is of text sizing with high resolution monitors with certain applications. In the early days using PS CS6 and earlier the advantage of high resolution monitors for image viewing was seen but the major problem was of text and dialogue box sizing. In short you could not resize text due to the limitations of the application (and possibly the OS). With newer applications I suspect this no longer an issue

I do not know this particular monitor at all so really cannot make comment other than to say try before you buy if at all possible. One downside is the limited gamut, at least compared to Adobe RGB, said to be around 122% sRGB. If you could find one within budget you may want to consider a 24" with say 98% Adobe RGB gamut. Again the most advantage in printing (sRGB is the worst colour space to work in for print!) with all printer paper combinations likely to exceed sRGB gamut and many able to exceed even Adobe RGB in some areas.

We are all likely to be budget constrained so you will have to balance your needs with that budget. If budget not an issue then really there are only two manufacturers for photo monitors, Eizo and NEC. You may be looking at £2,000 - £4,000 though!

Last edited by TonyW; 01-06-2021 at 04:16 AM.
01-06-2021, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to check if you're going to 4K that your graphics card supports it.
01-06-2021, 04:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Now, I'm sure this question has been asked countless times... but I'm in the market for a monitor, and pretty clueless.

Now at first I wasn't really looking beyond boring old 24" FHD monitors, as to my price range, but I found an interesting 27" 4K that I could stretch for... as it connects over USB-C as display port, while also providing power delivery and extra inputs (including more USB and ethernet), it basically acting as a docking station. Meaning I don't need to splurge for a hub and extra power supply as I was intending to...

Seems to check all the boxes, including good colour coverage (and IPS, but since getting a laptop with an IPS display, it goes without saying that it's a big requirement). But I just want to check I'm not missing something crucial...

Here's what I'm looking at right now: LCD monitor with USB-C Dock 272P7VUBNB/27 | Philips
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Probably your largest concern might, ironically, be the high resolution. 4K monitors are great for streaming and games, but suck for work due to the miniaturization of your content. The side-effects may include:
  • Disappearing detail
  • Exaggeration of DOF
  • Difficulty managing noise
  • Difficulty doing appropriate sharpening
  • Difficulty detecting processing artifact.
Viewing at greater than 100% is not much help for the same reasons it is not much help with 1080 HD. One can compensate by moving the display closer, but with the edges of the big monitor being more in the area of peripheral vision. You may also be able to configure your operating system to a lower ppi setting when doing editing.

That said, multiple users on this site are using 4K monitors so don't let me be the naysayer. My suggestion is that you might want to try before you buy, if that is possible at your location.

Steve
Just throwing in my 2 cents, I have just acquired an HP 32s (ips) monitor and found these links useful if you are looking! Is your monitor up to scratch? - Photo Review

In the review there is a link for testing your display as well: EIZO monitors for offices, photos & design, medicine, gaming and industry

Monitor Test! EIZO monitors for offices, photos & design, medicine, gaming and industry

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 01-06-2021 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Add link
01-06-2021, 04:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You might want to check if you're going to 4K that your graphics card supports it.
Good point, so that may need (likely to?) be included in your budget.

I would also add that you may also want to consider a true 10 bit card if your chosen display supports this - these would be either NEC Quadro or AMD Firepro. Probably around £100 for least expensive option

Last edited by TonyW; 01-06-2021 at 04:40 AM.
01-06-2021, 04:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I’ll add if you’re critical of colors, get something to calibrate your monitors color balance. Mine was about $100.00
Well worth it, as I enjoy dual monitors, only 1 is calibrated, and I can easily see the difference.

Hang up and DRIVE!
01-06-2021, 05:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had my BENQ 32" 4k IPS sRGB display for almost a year and have been very pleased with it. I do have to set web pages at 120% magnification, but it looks brilliant.
01-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lot's of great thoughts - thanks.

I guess I forgot to mention in my previous post, that over 90% of my time on the computer involves university courses, and writing labs, some basic CAD design and programming. So I'm also considering the practicality of a larger, more pixel-dense monitor for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Do not be afraid of 4k screens if your intention is to print and you want to get the the best idea of how a print will look with sharpening and noise reduction.

If you are not concerned about printing and want to mimic on your screen what most see on their average monitors of 100 PPI and less than full sRGB coverage save some money and look for a standard monitor.
Frankly, I don't care one whoot for printing...

But that is great info nonetheless.

Laptop specs claims it can support 4K 60Hz over DP - and as far as I can workout the APU (Ryzen 5 3500U) should be powerful enough, especially that I don't play games.

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Just throwing in my 2 cents, I have just acquired an HP 32s (ips) monitor and found these links useful if you are looking!
Thanks for the links!

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
I’ll add if you’re critical of colors, get something to calibrate your monitors color balance. Mine was about $100.00
Well worth it, as I enjoy dual monitors, only 1 is calibrated, and I can easily see the difference.
Well, I've never noticed any problems with my laptop screen (which has less than stellar rated coverage), but then the doc claims I may be a bit colourblind, so it's probably not a great point to stress over...

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I've had my BENQ 32" 4k IPS sRGB display for almost a year and have been very pleased with it. I do have to set web pages at 120% magnification, but it looks brilliant.
Good to hear
01-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I guess I forgot to mention in my previous post, that over 90% of my time on the computer involves university courses, and writing labs, some basic CAD design and programming. So I'm also considering the practicality of a larger, more pixel-dense monitor for that.

Frankly, I don't care one whoot for printing...
If you are not worried about printing and editing accuracy then there would seem to be less of a case for 4k so a standard resolution monitor may be a better fit and going for a wider gamut can certainly be useful in viewing your raw captures, but...

You mention CAD and that could indicate the desireability of 4k, wide gamut panel coupled to a true 10 bit graphics card such as Nvidia Quadro or AMD Firepro if you are looking at realistic rendering from something like Solidworks
01-06-2021, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own a 27 inch Philips, in fact I just swapped it in for a Samsung 27 inch 4k I was using to edit.
I much prefer the Philips, colour and resolution.

It took a while, but I actually now prefer the 27 inch 4k. Despite the stated objections, I find it very difficult to go back to even a 2600x1600 monitor. Once you get used to the sharpness and resolution of the displayed images, less high resolution images just look cheap.
I'm happy with my Philips 4k. Apparently there are lots of reasons why I shouldn't be, but I don't care. The price was right, the effort needed was right, the performance is acceptable, and it had competition for it's current job, and won out.

Sometimes it's tough to listen to all these people telling me why I need something better when I'm happy with what I have.

Last edited by normhead; 01-06-2021 at 09:31 AM.
01-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got this one for Christmas and I love it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27ul600-w-27-ips-led-4k-uhd-freesync-monitor...?skuId=6329956

I asked similar question not long ago, and got a lot of cautionary replies about 4K being overkill and text being too small. That wasn't the case. There have been a few times where a dialog box will open with small text, but I think that's just some minor glitching. Text and icons are fine 99% of the time, and the amount of extra viewing space at 1:1 editing is awesome.

I'm not a pro by any means and don't print a lot, so the sRGB coverage is plenty for my needs. I have printed a few times from Walgreens, and they come out rather nice anyway, so I think the higher end models would be overkill.

I was also worried my ancient laptop with integrated graphicswould be able to push 4K, and my original plan was to run it at 1080p and scale it up in the monitor settings. When I first connected it, the laptop sent out a 4k30 signal without issue, so I'm sure yours will do fine.
01-06-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I asked similar question not long ago, and got a lot of cautionary replies about 4K being overkill and text being too small. That wasn't the case. There have been a few times where a dialog box will open with small text, but I think that's just some minor glitching. Text and icons are fine 99% of the time, and the amount of extra viewing space at 1:1 editing is awesome...
Do not be too quick to dismiss the relevance of the need for scaling in both the OS and Applications it is very real and certainly no minor glitch. So until the OP confirms that there will be no issues in scaling with his chosen applications then IMO caution is advised for making recommendation.

As just one example PS CS6 for instance was unusable due to inelligible very small and blurred text with 4k monitors, there was no way that the UI could be altered to affect text only. Photoshop CC now has UI scaling and UI Font scaling which can now be found in the Preferences > Interface dialogue and may be necessary to increase the legibility of certain text items while still showing image data at a chosen zoom ratio. I am sure that there are other applications that still have this issue with fixed font size in the UI.

sRGB is the worst colour space to use but if your lab funnel you down that route and you are happy so be it. But do not make the mistake of thinking that anything else is overkill. For starters your lab does not use sRGB when printing neither does your printer. Your lab will probably use either Fuji or Noritsu to print both these printers will have a gamut that exceeds sRGB for all the paper types it offers. Your sRGB file will be a clipped gamut in comparison to what the printer and paper will be able to display and the rendering intent will be forced to Relative Colorimetric.
01-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I own a 27 inch Philips, in fact I just swapped it in for a Samsung 27 inch 4k I was using to edit.
I much prefer the Philips, colour and resolution.

It took a while, but I actually now prefer the 27 inch 4k. Despite the stated objections, I find it very difficult to go back to even a 2600x1600 monitor. Once you get used to the sharpness and resolution of the displayed images, less high resolution images just look cheap.
I'm happy with my Philips 4k. Apparently there are lots of reasons why I shouldn't be, but I don't care. The price was right, the effort needed was right, the performance is acceptable, and it had competition for it's current job, and won out.

Sometimes it's tough to listen to all these people telling me why I need something better when I'm happy with what I have.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I just got this one for Christmas and I love it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27ul600-w-27-ips-led-4k-uhd-freesync-monitor...?skuId=6329956

I asked similar question not long ago, and got a lot of cautionary replies about 4K being overkill and text being too small. That wasn't the case. There have been a few times where a dialog box will open with small text, but I think that's just some minor glitching. Text and icons are fine 99% of the time, and the amount of extra viewing space at 1:1 editing is awesome.

I'm not a pro by any means and don't print a lot, so the sRGB coverage is plenty for my needs. I have printed a few times from Walgreens, and they come out rather nice anyway, so I think the higher end models would be overkill.

I was also worried my ancient laptop with integrated graphicswould be able to push 4K, and my original plan was to run it at 1080p and scale it up in the monitor settings. When I first connected it, the laptop sent out a 4k30 signal without issue, so I'm sure yours will do fine.
Great to hear some 4k 27" monitors working for folks. Any scaling used in day to day use?