Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2021, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Out of curiosity, how do you handle motion differences between the four frames?

Steve
By using pixelshift only when there is no motion in the frame

01-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
By using pixelshift only when there is no motion in the frame
Haha!!! ME TO! Of course there are windy days... so for now I accept some wind motion, only if and when it is supported by the general form of the shot.
01-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
PSR takes four shots, HDR takes three shots.
Note the full statement. I did mention it takes more than three exposures. It does this due to the Bayer pattern but what it accomplishes is an RGB exposure for each and every individual pixel site.
01-22-2021, 01:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Note the full statement. I did mention it takes more than three exposures. It does this due to the Bayer pattern but what it accomplishes is an RGB exposure for each and every individual pixel site.
„Pixel shift basically takes three separate shots ...“ = „ I did mention it takes more than three exposures. “ - ok, why not just say four? No need to comment my comment.

01-22-2021, 04:02 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lightroom processes pixel shift images without motion correction. So you often get artifacts in the branches of trees, even on a really still day.

My process is to run pixel shift images through Raw Therapee and generate a TIFF file that I process from there. RT has the most options for processing pixel shift of any software I've used.
01-23-2021, 02:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank You for the interesting information. I tried it out with K70 pixel shift DNGs but at the moment there seems to be some 'room for improvements'.
1.) It seems to me that the resulting DNGs - compressed or not - are not far as sharp as they should be. I could verify this with Lightzone and RAWTherapee, but I know of DxO users with the same results. So it seems to be a general problem.
2.) Darktable won't accept the converted DNGs as valid RAW files (skull symbol instead of picture preview).

Seems that some more work has to be done .... *sigh*

Regards
Stephan
01-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anything other than RawTherapee that processes hand-held pixel shift files? I don't hardly ever use pixel shift because of confusion over how to process, but it seems to be clearing out now. It would be nice to be able to process some hand-held PS files if there's software that can handle it.

01-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Anything other than RawTherapee that processes hand-held pixel shift files? I don't hardly ever use pixel shift because of confusion over how to process, but it seems to be clearing out now. It would be nice to be able to process some hand-held PS files if there's software that can handle it.
I have the same question. Is there software that can handle hand-held pixel shift files? Does anyone know that?
01-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Anything other than RawTherapee that processes hand-held pixel shift files?
dcrawps can handle pixleshift files from K-3II and K-1, and manage subject motion, but I'm not sure whether it can handle the handheld PS files from K-1 II. It might be worth a try.
It's an easy to use command line program that gives you quite a bit of control, and produces a TIFF which you can PP in the software of your choice.
It is simple to build on Linux and a Windows binary is also available here <https://github.com/tomtor/dcrawps>.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Terry