Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Mac/Time Machine compatibility with K20

This post goes out to all the Mac users with Time Machine as 1 form of backing up your photos.
I was going thru some old files that I Had backed up on time machine when I came across a situation where I couldn't open a full screen version of the image. I can see the thumbnail fine, and I can even restore it back into my library if I want to, I just can't look at it in full screen.
Here is what baffles me, only the images shot with the K20 give me this problem. Everything shot with the K10 works as it should. Are any of you other Mac users experiencing this problem with Time Machine?
I have the firmware version 1.01 in the K20, and 1.30 in the K10. Any thoughts or help would be great.
Thanks, Jeff

11-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #2

Are they files in a folder or in an App? Also what version of 10.5 are you running, and what type of file are the photos (RAW, JPEF, DNG, PEF...)

Also when in TM can you use quick look to see the files (hit space-bar when you have the photo selected)

I shoot with a K10 and it works fine for me when viewing JPEG or DNF files.

-Yale
11-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yale, I'm running OS X 10.5.5, It doesn't matter if the image is a Jpeg or a raw, I shoot in the PEF format when using raw. My K10 images open fine, all the photos are in the iphoto app. When using the space bar for a quick look I get the same result. It appears I am only having trouble with the K20 images. I'm stumped.
Jeff.
11-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #4

Jeff,

What version of Iphoto are you running, and how are you acessing the photos in TM? Are you rght clicking on the library and exploring what's inside? And what happens when you try quicklook or when you double click on it? Does anything show up on the screen? Are you using the same SD card on both your K10D and your K20D?

-Yale

sorry for all the questions and no answers, I'm trying to figure out what exactally is at fault (the camera, your card, or the software). If it's Apple's fault I'll be able to walk you through whatever needs to be done.

11-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yale, I'm running iphoto 08 version 7.1.5,
The way I am accessing TM is,.. the iphoto app is open, go to the dock, then left click on the TM icon, Time machine then opens my backed up iphoto library. I go back, find the photo/photos I wish to view, a single left click chooses the image, then either a double left click or hit space bar to see a full view and the only thing I see is digital lines of color.
You may be on to something, with the SD card. I use 4-5 different ones and i will try a different card and see what happens.
In this instance it was a different card in the 2 cameras. However I think I have been using the same card in the K20 for awhile now.
Regards, Jeff
11-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yale, Just tried a different card, No difference, I can restore a photo back into the library by using the thumbnail still have no full view of the image while in TM.
Jeff