Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which EXIF viewer works with Vista?

My new computer (next week) will be vista home premium (64 bit) My present exif viewer does not work with vista. What is everyone else using?

11-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
ViS
Inactive Account

Can't help you with the exif viewer sorry, but thought I'd also add that there is not currently a free option for viewing RAW thumbnail files directly in windows using vista 64 (that I can find). I use FastStone Image Viewer, but it's still a 3rd party program.
11-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #3

pretty sure photo me does
11-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use Opanda since it integrates very easily with IE.

Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF / GPS / IPTC Viewer & Editor in Windows, IE & Firefox

PhotoMe also works with Vista...

11-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #5

Hello,

I use PhotoME, although on XP and 2K, but it should work with Vista ...
11-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just right click on the image, select "Properties" and then read the exif info. Something tells me I'm missing something here, though.
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I just right click on the image, select "Properties" and then read the exif info. Something tells me I'm missing something here, though.
That works great for photos that are on your computer. For photos on the web like in these forums, you'll need some sort of EXIF reader to see what settings were used for a particualr shot. For example, if you click on Heinrich's avatar, you'd be able to see camera body used and what shutter speed, focal length, aperture, ISO, etc. was used for that shot. You won't be able get that info by using the the Right-Click>Properties menu. That's where the EXIF viewer really comes in handy...
11-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the exif viewer add-on for the Firefox browser.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

Steve

11-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Morning Heinrich,
I use EXIF Reader. It's a free download and if you Google EXIF there is a link to EXIF Reader (English) click on it and download the file. It's a great reader and gives you every bit of information. It works with Vista with no problems. Easy to use, I think you'll like it.
Again it works with Vista. If it wouldn't work because of your 64 bit version you can run the program in compatibility mode just check Run in compatibility with Windows XP and choose a screen resolution of 680.
I think you'll find that the choice of running 64 bit was a bit premature. (not enough programs right now to support the use.) It may run faster (you won't notice it.) but it is a good choice for the future.
11-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
PhotoME works on Vista 32 bit. Also, Microsoft has some pro photo tools that can also work on Vista.

However, some applications will not run on Vista 64 bit. Although compatibility mode would make it work, the installation procedure might fail so you can't even run the app in the first place. Unless they specifically say they will work with Vista 64 bit, you'll have to give it a try to see if they will actually work, compatibility mode or otherwise.
11-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm on a 64bit Vista PC, PhotoME works fine. If you want something new and free try Fastone's offering.
11-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Windows needs to make one so when you hover your pointer over a photo it give you all the data, like dbPower Amp does with music.
11-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

In x32 bit Vista using explorer (not IE but explorer) when I hover over a JPEG it provides me with
Title
Dimensions
Date Photo Taken
Camera Model
Type (JPEG)
Size (KB)
Aperture
Shutter Speed
ISO speed
White Balance
Focal Length

It gives much less information with PEF's even with the x32 Pentax codex installed. What would be nice is - for Pentax to come out with a x64 codex.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
11-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A very big "thank you" to all of you, your input and suggestion are very much appreciated.

viewExif works good on XP and shows up on a right click. Exif view and Photo-me both work on vista but neither opens on a right click. But such is life, one day someone will do the same for vista.

Take care,