Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2021, 01:40 AM   #1

Pentax Wifi tethering API, SDK, and software

I'm trying to figure out the current state of PC (windows) wifi connection options, and figured I'd start a new thread instead of reviving an old one.

I've just started trying to use my K-S2 for photogrammetry, and it looks like the software I'm playing with, Meshroom, has a live reconstruction mode. Essentially, it watches a folder, and as pictures come in, it updates the 3d model live. If I can get some tethering software to automatically refresh the SD card file list, download anything new, and put those photos in that watch folder, it should work. Pretty simple.

So, after looking around, I've found:
  • Wifi Commander for Pentax, which works well, but doesn't quite have that functionality, and looks like it hasn't been updated in 2 years (though the dev is still active here).
  • PentaxWifi, which is approaching 3 years since an update, and it sounds like using the official SDK is buggy (that dev is omnipresent, at least).
  • PKTether, which is even older.
  • Pentax's official Tethered Capture Plug-in for Lightroom looks like it's only for the higher-end cameras (and usb?), and their wifi SDK is android only, which doesn't help me.
Is there anything else out there that might do what I want, or do I need to figure out something myself? I'm not a real software developer, but this feels like something simple enough for me to do (famous last words). I'm thinking PentaxWifi is the best place to start since there's no Wifi Commander source, and I doubt I'll be successful reverse engineering the wifi communications myself. It looks like PentaxWifi uses the android API, which I guess is a solution? I really don't know android development or java well enough to know what's going on there.

03-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

Take a look at this thread:

Introducing Pentax Wi-Fi & USB Tether by PentaxForums.com - PentaxForums.com
03-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfrpcopy Quote
If I can get some tethering software to automatically refresh the SD card file list, download anything new, and put those photos in that watch folder
This is the first time I've heard of photogammetry, but tethering just gives you remote control of various camera functions. If you can still accomplish what you want by taking some photos, then connecting your camera to a computer to download new photos to a predetermined file folder, there are existing software solutions (from the built-in 'photo" apps for your operating system to Adobe Lightroom and many other full-featured post-processing software packages) that don't require the camera manufacturer to provide a public API.
03-18-2021, 10:16 PM   #4

The Pentax Forums Tether USB and WiFi does file transfers.

PK-Tether does also but doesn't work with anything newer than the K-50.

03-19-2021, 02:12 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Hi,

first of all Wifi Commander for Pentax has this functionality and you can enable it through the Preferences panel.

WCP is still under development and in the next weeks I will release the 1.7 version with:
1- Composition Adjustments support for KP and maybe K3 III
2- Drive modes choice for KP and maybe K3 III
3- Updated Planned Shots with clone and massive delay set
4- Interval shots
5- bugs fix

I'm also at work with the Mac porting and with the support to the users.

Best Regards
03-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
This is the first time I've heard of photogrammetry
Without going into too much detail, it's taking pictures of an object or environment from a lot of angles to construct a 3D model. So for example, I walk around my couch taking pictures, and it creates a model of my couch. So I'm not triggering the shutter using using the computer. The photogrammetry software can update the model as soon as a picture is taken; it's helpful for figuring out what angles are missing as you walk around.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
first of all Wifi Commander for Pentax has this functionality and you can enable it through the Preferences panel
I was able to get auto-download to work for pictures taken using Wifi Commander's interface, but not using the camera itself (both over wifi). I still had to go into to Pictures, refresh, and download the new image files. It's so close, all the functionality is already there. I'll play around with it more and see if I'm missing something. Glad to hear it's still alive.
03-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yep, the WCP functions work if you control the camera from the app. This is a limit in your situation?

03-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yeah. I'm looking for exactly what "AutoDownload" does now, except triggered by the physical button on the camera instead of the button in the app. However, I don't think the camera tells the app when it takes a picture, so my guess at a solution was for the app to automatically refresh the file list every few seconds, and download any new photos that have shown up on the sd card.
03-20-2021, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Hi, yes the camera doesn't raise an event, to the app, when it takes a picture. So the "polling" system is a viable solution, perhaps I can include this in the upcoming release. In the meanwhile you can set a bunch of Planned Shots with a delay between each and "synchronize" your shot composition with this delay.... I know almost impracticable but better than nothing.
03-23-2021, 04:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
If you add it to WCP, I'd certainly appreciate it, but it doesn't seem like the feature is in high demand.

I haven't had success getting PentaxWifi to run, probably something I'm doing wrong in java. I'll probably end up looking at the network traffic if all else fails, I think I only need 2 or 3 commands.
03-24-2021, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I'm already at work on this....
03-25-2021, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I can confirm that this function will be included in the next 1.7 version. Could be useful during studio sessions to automatically download the pictures taken directly on a computer.
03-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfrpcopy Quote
I'm trying to figure out the current state of PC (windows) wifi connection options, and figured I'd start a new thread instead of reviving an old one.
Is there anything else out there that might do what I want, or do I need to figure out something myself?
Is there anything missing in the thread i'd create?
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

If you want to develop an App/Software, take a look here:
Four SDKS to be released - PentaxForums.com
Developing With Pentax SDKs - Who's working on stuff? - PentaxForums.com
Pentax releases SDKs for DSLR including 645Z - PentaxForums.com
01-03-2024, 01:10 AM   #14

Hi all, I just got a new K-3iii that is compatible with Wifi, and as a developer, I wanted to have a look at the Pentax Camera SDK that was released a few years ago, but unfortunatly they are not available anymore.
So, I am wondering if anyone still have a version of the SDK on its harddrive (especially the .net sdk) and could share it?
Thanks!
01-03-2024, 01:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
Hi all, I just got a new K-3iii that is compatible with Wifi, and as a developer, I wanted to have a look at the Pentax Camera SDK that was released a few years ago, but unfortunatly they are not available anymore.
So, I am wondering if anyone still have a version of the SDK on its harddrive (especially the .net sdk) and could share it?
Thanks!
Before you get too involved off your own bat, take a good look at WiFi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera ... Andrea K (see above) has spent a lot of time in this field and seems to have most bases covered.
I can confirm that the latest release of WiFi Commander is well compatible with the K-3iii, having spent a little while last year helping Andrea K iron out a few anomalies.