Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
*sigh*

I don't think many of you actually read my post, because I already addressed many of your comments.

Yes, I know a dedicated GPU is highly preferred.

I know a lower end card would be fine for editing, if that was the only goal.

I don't need to know integrated graphics suck, because it's what I'm already using.

Yes, I know 8 GB of RAM is sub-optional.

My parts list already listed 16 GB (to start with at least).

I actually don't care much on the Intel/AMD debate for purposes of this discussion, as it's moot.

Telling me about Photoshop and Lightroom means nothing to me. I specifically mentioned RAW Therapee and Topaz DeNoise because those are the programs I use and can relate to for benchmarking times.

To reiterate, my question is about comparing my current setup to a more modern CPU only build so I can try planning for the future. I'm purely speculating here, but the vibe I'm getting is that the exporting speed difference will be minimal. If I go from 2:20 min to export in Topaz, down to 2:00 min, then spending $1k on a custom CPU only build would be a waste right now. That would give me at least something to go on.

03-22-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

* Raise you one sigh :-)*

Instead of biting the hands that are trying to feed you with information just Ask Topaz about your perceived problems!!

Last edited by TonyW; 03-22-2021 at 01:27 PM.
03-22-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Telling me about Photoshop and Lightroom means nothing to me.
Actually it should, because the need for those programs is similar to other graphics programs and not similar to most posted benchmarks which are generally game centered.
This is without a dedicated graphics card. Any thoughts on if this would give an appreciable reduction in image processing/exporting time in Topaz?
Unless someone else has those two specific setups and wants to run a benchmark on them both for you no one is going to be able to accurately answer that question. Which is why I posted the recommended configuration for a graphic editing workstation assuming you would extrapolate from that to what your configuration was.

Any way {sigh} never mind.
03-22-2021, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #19

If you can live the the performance of you current system and Microsoft Flight Sim is such a priority you may as well wait until you can afford the system with GPU card you want.

DeNoise AI System Requirements ? Topaz Help Center

03-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*sigh*

I don't think many of you actually read my post, because I already addressed many of your comments.

Yes, I know a dedicated GPU is highly preferred.

I know a lower end card would be fine for editing, if that was the only goal.

I don't need to know integrated graphics suck, because it's what I'm already using.

Yes, I know 8 GB of RAM is sub-optional.

My parts list already listed 16 GB (to start with at least).
I did read your specs and personally think 16 GB isn't enough RAM. Those Ripjaws are good memory, i installed 64 GB of them in my Mac a few months ago.
03-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you use a raw processing program that offloads much of its processing to the graphics card then you will notice a huge speedup in processing and exporting times. There is no such thing as too much RAM so get as much as you can afford.
03-23-2021, 02:04 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, new desktop build should be faster with Topaz then what you currently use. You mentioned that you are using laptop and I think this is biggest issue. Thermal throttling is limiting CPU speeds and with it Topaz performance goes down. Dedicated PC should be a lot better, just get some good cooling (replace stock one) for CPU.

04-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally got around to buying a computer and went with a used one that has a lower end dedicated graphics card. For anyone else that may run across this thread, I did some comparisons.

Old system:
Intel i7, 4th gen @ 3.7GHz, 8 GB RAM.
2:20 to export a single Topaz DeNoise image.

New system:
Intel i5-8400 @ 4.0GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia 1060 3 GB GPU, NVMe storage.
DeNoise exporting using CPU - 1 minute
DeNoise exporting using DGPU - 20 seconds

Not to mention preview updating is much faster, which speeds up the entire edit process big time.

So if anyone else out there is looking to upgrade to a CPU only build with intentions of waiting for graphics cards to settle back down with price and availability, there is definitely some sizable improvements to be had with editing, depending on what you have and plan to upgrade with of course.
04-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #24

Excellent. Thank you for keep us updated.
04-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Capture One makes good use of a GPU when exporting images. 24mp images export to JPG roughly 1 per second. (i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080)
04-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Fwiw, I was getting old waiting for my machine to process files, so I tossed a Firecuda PCIe card onto the motherboard and started leveraging it for image processing.
Huge improvement. I wouldn't consider another build without a motherboard with 2 PCIe slots and a PCIe drive in each slot.