Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2021, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
silkypix 10 lens correction problems

I'm a new happy user of Silkypix 10 pro which I'm using to process raw DNG files from my KP. While the software can be a bit counterintuitive to use due to the terminology used in the menus I've found the results to be very good and am becoming more and more comfortable with it.

However, there's one problem that I'm having and that's with lens correction. For my DA and FA lenses all is fine as I turn on corrections in the camera and Silkypix recognises that and adjusts the DNG (distortion and vignetting) automatically. However, for my third party lenses (e.g. sigma 10-20) or old manual m/k primes this can't be done so i would like to use the lensfun database and make a lens correction by manually selecting the appropriate lens. The problem is that regardless of the lens used Silkpix states "the RAW cannot be corrected" and doesn't let me select a lens or camera from the database.

I do have a lens correction datafile loaded on the computer and I know it works as when I import a raw from my sigma dp2s this feature works fine so its clearly something about the pentax raw files.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and found a way around it?

I have emailed Silkypix support, and if I hear back I will report what they say for the benefit of others.

Oliver

03-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the lens used isn't available in lensfun package.
03-26-2021, 02:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Maybe the lens used isn't available in lensfun package.
Sadly biz-engineer, it doesn't even let me even get that far and browse the lens database or select a camera / lens, everything is greyed out.

Anyway, a very prompt reply from Silkypix support overnight , they have confirmed that for some RAW files, correction by lens profiles is not possible as what are considered to be optimum results are already in place.

It appears that this is the case for both the kx and kp raw files, as neither allow me to use the database lens profile function regardless of the lens used. I'm guessing I will just have to live with this limitation - but something for others to be aware of.
As I said it's not really an issue for DA or FA lenses as in camera corrections can be used but for third-party or manual lenses that have a lens profile its a bit annoying. Manual corrections can of course be applied using sliders but I find its hard to optimize.

Oliver
03-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by on6702 Quote
It appears that this is the case for both the kx and kp raw files, as neither allow me to use the database lens profile function regardless of the lens used. I'm guessing I will just have to live with this limitation - but something for others to be aware of.
Shooting RAW+JPEG XS works for me. Distortion and vignette corrections are estimated from camera corrections on the JPEG.

04-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #5

Hello

Glad I found this thread... as I discovered this "weird" behaviour today.

I bought silkypix three weeks ago... after "falling in love" with its color management on my K200D... With this body, lens correction works as expected... But today, I played around with my K-5... and discovered that I could not select the lens profile... I sent an email to Silkpix... but if I understand, this is normal behaviour as Silkypix applies in body lens correction.

Thank your for sharing this information.

François